Sponsored

Dent Repair Above Gas Cap

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I was hanging up a push broom and a shovel on the wall in my garage, one in each hand. In the process I knocked a squeegee off it's hook and watched helplessly as it fell right towards my car. No luck on a glancing blow, the the corner of squeegee hit right above the gas cap leaving a nice little divot. :frusty:

Talk about feeling like an idiot.......note to self, leave a hand free when putting tools away. Not in a good spot, near the body line but it didn't crack the paint.

33748640573_d877c46dd3_c.jpg

Another angle.....

34517846896_d8ce07fa6e_c.jpg

Off to see the dent guy, after pics to follow.......
Sponsored

estebanvdt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 Phase 2
that is going to be a tough one due to the accessibility, maybe with the glue puller they can try to fix it .... Good luck

OP
OP
catchthecarp

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Randy the dent guy looked at it and told me up front this wasn't going to be a easy or cheap repair. Crud, but I expected that. He let me observe the entire job and ask questions, took him roughly 2 hours. I've never watched anyone do this type of work before and it was quite an education, I have new found respect for people who are skilled at this type of work. And there's definitely a lot of skill needed, after watching what's involved I'm inclined to call it an "art". He had to remove the tail light assembly to access the dent and used several different rods and tools(no idea what they're called) along with a glue puller (multiple times). It cost me $175, the price for being careless. Here's a few after pics... it's not perfect, hard to get a good shot in the right light, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

34430994051_18567aed4c_c.jpg

You can see the tools hanging on the wall in the reflection, I can make out the culprit, Mr Squeegee, next to the snow shovel.

34397525292_f32bdcd9a5_c.jpg

34173215360_8fee9b507b_c.jpg

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same dent, bloody pulled the hose on my pressure washer and the jointed hose hit it like a bullit.
The dent guy came round opened the boot played with his rods for about an hour cost me ÂŁ80.It was perfect afterwards.He said the metal was really soft.

Sponsored

OP
OP
catchthecarp

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I ever get the to watch someone do this again I hope it's on another persons car, anxiety city. The dent guy told me the hardest ones to fix are those where the owner took a crack at it first and made it 10x worse.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
That sucks. I had a dent like that on my hood. This past winter a snow storm was heading my way so I put my cover on, well a few days later there was 6" of frozen snow on the car so I was trying to break it up and get it off, anyway I figured I could break up the frozen snow with a scraper, it went through the ice easier then I expected and dented the hood. I just had it repaired 3 weeks ago, I learned my lesson. Luckily I didn't rip the $500 car cover in the process.
Sponsored