Sponsored

Delete

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I was wondering what was happening w your car...
That sucks. Driving the car 4.5 quarts low can damage internals .. Good they documented filter was finger tight. I’d push for a new car (longshot), do your own oil changes or go to another service department. In any case, never drive your car if the oil is below the bottom hole no matter who tells you to baby it. Due diligence is your friend with these cars. I wouldn’t trust the same department that can’t torque a filter
to replace an engine.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It sucks this happened to you on one hand, but on the other hand - you get a brand new engine @ 22k mi. I'm not "hoping" something like that happens with me - but I'd be kinda happy with a brand new engine @ +20k mi - as long as they don't goof up the swap...but I don't plan to sell this thing so .. that is a real consideration.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I purchased my GT 350 used with 1500 miles on it. I have anguished over my 1st oil change. My car was built in late summer of 2016 and from what research I have done still has the original oil. My reasons for having the dealership do the oil change is to have record of the correct oil, filter and the specified torque listed on the invoice in the event of an oil issue that Ford could claim no responsibility. However, like others on this forum I have little confidence in my dealership. I will end up doing the oil change myself, but much rather pay somebody who I could trust. That being said, I feel your pain and I would demand much more than just a replacement engine because diminished value could be a potential issue farther down the road.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Holy balls, they got the block out with the transmission still in place?! :eyebulge:

Anyway, just let them replace the motor. Be "nice" about it, keep your cool, and I bet they'll treat you well.

joekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'd want a new engine. No interest in the carfax potentially detailing a massive engine repair..

I'm not sure I'd see an engine replacement as a negative.. but that's just me

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I thought I sent you a PM a while back but I guess I never sent it. I really wanted to take it elsewhere trust me, but with how sticky this situation is I thought it made more sense to take it to the dealership that caused the problem to begin with :shrug:
Yeah, tough situation. I have had my dealer do oil changes but I’ve had them document the filter torque and double check when I get home.. New car is a longshot for sure. Probably shouldn’t have gone there but a finger tight filter is neglent IMHO. See PM answer. Good luck.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I wouldn't worry about it - you've got dealer documentation that shows that because the oil filter wasn't installed correctly, you got a new engine. A 2018 engine in a 2016 or 2017 car isn't a bad thing.

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I would not worry about the value. There were a load of 2014 (and some 2015) 991.1 GT3 engines replaced or partially replaced and the value of those cars stayed high even before Porsche decided to extended the warranties.

Sponsored

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
That is a lot of oil to "leak" out of the motor. Did you notice it all over the ground or no?
I don't think what has occurred would have caused the issue. Its more likely your engine is eating the oil internally. Sounds like the dealer is doing what they are suppose to and more than likely they will just give you a new motor.

Seems like the best solution in a less than ideal situation, but that is why we have warranty.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
New engine, new life! Enjoy the car.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I think it is safer to have the dealer install a new engine as opposed to them trying to fix the old one.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I'm sure the car consumed oil as well, I do have photos of the night / morning I discovered the leak. I had been driving the car earlier that day, went home and stayed there for a couple hours. We left to go do something and I noticed that spot in the front of the parking space by the numbers, where I was backed in. So I pulled the car in around the other way to make sure it was me who was leaking oil, I park in a parking garage so sometimes people just park anywhere. The next morning I found out in fact it was me who was leaking oil with that spot you see by the parking block in the back where I pulled face in.
Your neighbor across the way there looks a little on the thin side.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
id be happy with a new engine honestly. At least the "whole thing" is fixed ya know?

As for oil changes, i do them myself all the time. My girlfriend mazda6 dealer oil changed every time, forgot 5 quarts in a 6 quart car. IDK how that happened but it did. On my car, my oil filter was pretty loose when i first got it (used) and it was always dealership changes. Havent had a issue since i been doing both cars.
Sponsored