Sponsored

Deciding on an MGW Shifter

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah...I’m agree with everyone that there is a very slight vibration, not really auditory, but less than my DSS one piece. That thing hums.
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
did the fluid swap today or yesterday(saturday) and the vibration has eased. I didn't feel a difference at first but when my car sat for a few hours and I went to drive it again it felt amazing. very smooth shifting and makes the car so much easier to drive. Now next thing is to finish the suspension and ill be in business

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Right on, man. I went with a blend of trans fluids that Ben Calimer recommended and I couldn't really FEEL if it's better/worse but I guarantee it's a fluid quality improvement. I'm tempted to try the BG that everyone talks about being night and day. That's what you used, right?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Right on, man. I went with a blend of trans fluids that Ben Calimer recommended and I couldn't really FEEL if it's better/worse but I guarantee it's a fluid quality improvement. I'm tempted to try the BG that everyone talks about being night and day. That's what you used, right?
Yup. It feels much better. I noticed it was better when it was warmer over the weekend. I’m assuming like a lot of mechanical things no matter how great the quality, it takes warming up for smooth operation

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. It feels much better. I noticed it was better when it was warmer over the weekend. I’m assuming like a lot of mechanical things no matter how great the quality, it takes warming up for smooth operation
It gets better with a bit of age too.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for confirming that. Definitely makes me feel better.
FWIW I've put over 35,000 miles on my BG Syn II oil and it's just as good as it's ever been. That includes quite spirited daily driving and a lot of autocrosses.

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
Agreed with everyone here that this shifter is something special. Here is my x-spec with a red flat stick. High RPM shifts are much more confidence-inspiring with this thing. MGW knocked it out of the park.

rs7dZtl.jpg

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Agreed with everyone here that this shifter is something special. Here is my x-spec with a red flat stick. High RPM shifts are much more confidence-inspiring with this thing. MGW knocked it out of the park.

rs7dZtl.jpg
Same setup I just went with and it's fantastic. New spec 2+ and shaftmasters alu driveshaft at the same time and it's like a new car. The MGW did take about 1000 miles to break in the really stiff feeling though but that's ok.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I am having mine installed this Wednesday. I got the x-spec shifter and standard handle at 21% shorter throw with the adapter at the recommendation of the owner of MGW. The only way you can use the stock threaded knobs was to get the standard handles and use the adapter other wise you can use the MGW shifters with out the adapter. Plus he had explained with the race x and low profile at 25% shorter throw was very popular and people like it but I might not like it because it has very little play and his personal preference leaned to the set up he suggested. So I went with what the owner thinks is best and my friend has the same set up in his 17 CS and it’s great feeling.

Sponsored

KarloSGt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2019 convertible
I ended up going with the race spec, low profile with the spherical knob and stainless steel stem and top for a little more weight on it.
How are you liking your low profile?

KarloSGt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2019 convertible
Soo can you guys help me decide if I should go x spec low profile or standard?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Standard. I went from standard to low back to standard. Didn’t like my hand being in the boot and shift timing wasn’t the best when it was too low

Last edited:

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
Standard. The Ford knob sits a little lower because the bottom is recessed. Don't know if being an Ecoboost makes a difference.
224-small.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
How are you liking your low profile?
One of the best upgrades to the transmission aside from swapping fluids. It's fantastic.
Sponsored