Deciding on an MGW Shifter

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
hate to jump in, but is the thread on the flat stick version different from the stock shifter threads?
Yes, stock threads are M12x1.25 and I'm pretty sure the MGW unit is M10x1.25.

I'm not 100% sure on the size, but I'm looking at my OEM shift knob as well as the shift knob from my flat stick as I type this, and the flat stick is definitely a smaller thread diameter.
Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1

I'm not 100% sure on the size, but I'm looking at my OEM shift knob as well as the shift knob from my flat stick as I type this, and the flat stick is definitely a smaller thread diameter.

So the flat stick/standard and low profile should all be m10, and the stock is m12?

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt

cool, so a simple adapter should allow me to run my personal shift knob on an MGW

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
NP, I don’t know what the factory height was but mine right now is 2-3/4” from the top of the boot/bottom of collar to the top of the knob. Hope this helps. If you haven’t seen this video maybe it will help with your options

Much appreciated. Definitely helped.

@ArcsandSparks do you have any pics? I thought I read somewhere the flat stick low profile and standard are the same size?

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
You won't be disappointed. Test drove a Roush Stage 3 (stock shifter) recently before I made the decision to just buy a supercharger for my current ride. I got in it and moved the shifter to neutral to start the car. After driving with the MGW for a year, I actually said "ewwww!" aloud sitting next to the salesman.

Sponsored

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
So the flat stick/standard and low profile should all be m10, and the stock is m12?
I just double checked this and the flat stick is 3/8-16 coarse, not m10. OEM is m12x1.25.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I just double checked this and the flat stick is 3/8-16 coarse, not m10. OEM is m12x1.25.
Thank you for that. Wonder why? I think I’ll stay away then.

With that said I may try just going to a GT350 Knob

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I hated my MGW shifter, took it out last week and went back to stock , I might add that my ride is RHD. I know a couple of guys that did the same. I had to use quite a lot of palm pressure to get it to go in first then to second, if i didn't it would want to go from first to forth (so I was pushing away from me, to go into first and second) it just never felt smooth.
Friend of mine was about to pull his out but all of a sudden it just smoothed out. Do these work better after time, like a brake in period.
I recently drove my friends car and it did feel a lot smother than mine so I do know that they do what they say, I just couldn't get mine right.
I did everything that the demo vid says to do setting up the reverse lockout. Has anyone else had the same then got over it someway.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I hated my MGW shifter, took it out last week and went back to stock , I might add that my ride is RHD. I know a couple of guys that did the same. I had to use quite a lot of palm pressure to get it to go in first then to second, if i didn't it would want to go from first to forth (so I was pushing away from me, to go into first and second) it just never felt smooth.
Friend of mine was about to pull his out but all of a sudden it just smoothed out. Do these work better after time, like a brake in period.
I recently drove my friends car and it did feel a lot smother than mine so I do know that they do what they say, I just couldn't get mine right.
I did everything that the demo vid says to do setting up the reverse lockout. Has anyone else had the same then got over it someway.
It does smooth out over time. That said, this may be a case where the springs are optimized for LHD and would be ideally switched.

Sponsored

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That said, this may be a case where the springs are optimized for LHD
That's interesting can they be swapped around for this purpose or are you just guessing this could be the case.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting can they be swapped around for this purpose or are you just guessing this could be the case.
They're not intended to be, but I do know that they're not the same left and right. The Barton Hybrid 3 has that as an advantage (side force tunable). How long did you have it in the car?

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Not long did about 1500 miles with it.
Did you try that adjustment of the locknut on the handle for the 1st and 2nd gear lockout? It sounds like you could have had that pin just a hair to far out and it required force to get the shifter to that gate. Just a guess.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase