Sponsored

Debating trading up to a gen 3 a10...

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
You made the right move. Had a '19 GT manual. The 2nd gear grind sounds were making me more uncomfortable, so I sold it b/c I got a crazy good deal on it. Ended with an new A10 Camaro SS. The SS in A10 form feels considerably quicker than the GT and I believe it is. I still miss manual a lot though and regret not getting one.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You made the right move. Had a '19 GT manual. The 2nd gear grind sounds were making me more uncomfortable, so I sold it b/c I got a crazy good deal on it. Ended with an new A10 Camaro SS. The SS in A10 form feels considerably quicker than the GT and I believe it is. I still miss manual a lot though and regret not getting one.
Just for the record, your 2nd gear grind isn't normal and doesn't happen in most Mustangs.

Also, I'm glad you like your 'Maro, but ain't no way that A10 is "considerably quicker" than the A10 in the GT. The Camaro is a lighter car, that's probably why you're feeling the faster sensation. That's just car justification talking because you are still a little bitter about your Mustang. I get it, it's cool. I might feel the same in that situation too.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Having kids drive a late model Mustang in my opinion...had two myself...would be the biggest mistake!

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Having kids drive a late model Mustang in my opinion...had two myself...would be the biggest mistake!
I bought my '17 GT/CS because I have kids, one in a car seat and one not. Came from tons of foxes and was going to get another '85 but a 4 eye is not the best family car when it comes to comfort and safety haha. New model mustang is fun and a lot safer than those tin cans.

Even if I wasn't going to take a hosing going to a gen 3 A10 I am glad I kept my '17 stick. I still like rowing gears and I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more with a blowfish bracket or mgw

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Just for the record, your 2nd gear grind isn't normal and doesn't happen in most Mustangs.

Also, I'm glad you like your 'Maro, but ain't no way that A10 is "considerably quicker" than the A10 in the GT. The Camaro is a lighter car, that's probably why you're feeling the faster sensation. That's just car justification talking because you are still a little bitter about your Mustang. I get it, it's cool. I might feel the same in that situation too.
I don't think you understood what I wrote. The A10 Camaro SS is "considerably quicker" than the manual GT that I had. I test drove 2 A10 Mustang GTs as well (3.15 and 3.55). That car and the SS A10 felt about the same acceleration-wise. The A10 in the SS felt considerably smoother to me though. No jerkiness, gear hunting...something I did notice in the GTs (especially the 3.55) and I liked the SS seats better and the lower stance. Thought the handling was a bit better as well in the SS. Also, the 2nd gear grind on manuals appears to be extremely common according to this forum. However if my GT manual never had the grind, I would have kept it and been very happy.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I don't think you understood what I wrote. The A10 Camaro SS is "considerably quicker" than the manual GT that I had. I test drove 2 A10 Mustang GTs as well (3.15 and 3.55). That car and the SS A10 felt about the same acceleration-wise. The A10 in the SS felt considerably smoother to me though. No jerkiness, gear hunting...something I did notice in the GTs (especially the 3.55) and I liked the SS seats better and the lower stance. Thought the handling was a bit better as well in the SS. Also, the 2nd gear grind on manuals appears to be extremely common according to this forum. However if my GT manual never had the grind, I would have kept it and been very happy.
You are exactly right, I misunderstood. Yes, I'd say the A10 in the SS would be much quicker than the M6 in the GT or SS. I don't doubt the part about jerkiness and gear hunting. I've test drove an A10 GT and I drive a friend's A10 GT from time to time. It is real fast, but only occasionally will it be a smooth shift no matter how hard you are on the throttle. If it's a brand new SS, I'd say it definitely handles better based on the platform and the weight of the vehicle. It's a shame to hear about the 2nd gear grind being more common than what I thought. I hadn't heard much about it. The MT-82 in my '14 required several mods to make it shift well.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
A10 period in any car is quicker than a manual. I have actually been looking at 18-19 zl1’s with the manual. I realize on the street up until 115 mph my corn tuned gen3 a10 would hang no problem to a factory stock manual zl1. The maro has the tremec and manual power engagement is still fun!

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A10 period in any car is quicker than a manual. I have actually been looking at 18-19 zl1’s with the manual. I realize on the street up until 115 mph my corn tuned gen3 a10 would hang no problem to a factory stock manual zl1. The maro has the tremec and manual power engagement is still fun!
The only reason I didn't get a Camaro manual is the tall gearing kinda turned me off. 6th gear, unlike in my base GT manual i had, was basically unuseable. I know it's an overdrive but there was nothing when you hit the gas....just too tall. 5th gear felt too tall as well. The tremec manual in the Camaro is a good shifter. But I found the manual in my '19 GT to be excellent as well.

The A10 felt like a rocket and like I said super smooth. I still miss shifting though. I thought about a ZL1 but figured it was a waste. My '19 SS already feels like power overkill for the streets as it is and I got it for $33K before tax. An extra $20-30k for a ZL1 was defintely not worth it to me. Plus the manual ZL1s have that "bog" programmed into them. I doubt they are faster of the line than an A10 GT or SS and if so, negligible. Still if I went ZL1, I'd get a manual most likely.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
5th gear is 1:1 in the stang, What were you expecting? Lock the A10 in 1:1 and it's the same thing. Not trying to say anything negative about the a10 but stuffing any non turbo car at sub 2.5k rpm in the upper gear range is going to feel "too tall"

Not busting balls just that logic didn't make much sense to me, if you want to accelerate faster then you have to drop some gears

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
5th gear is 1:1, What were you expecting? Lock the A10 in 1:1 and it's the same thing. Not trying to say anything negative about the a10 but stuffing any non turbo car at sub 2.5k rpm in the upper gear range is going to feel "too tall"
7th gear is 1 to 1 on a10. That is why without tuning it is hard to get an accurate dyno number because of hitting speed limiter.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
7th gear is 1 to 1 on a10. That is why without tuning it is hard to get an accurate dyno number because of hitting speed limiter.
Speed limiter? Never even thought about 1:1, 3:15s and 7500 rpm. But if you are tuning just remove the limiter?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
@Nate_V8

I went from a '16 PP M6 convertible to a '19 PP A10 convertible, with some of the same reasons (ex: easier to vehicle swap with the wife). I had decades of driving manuals only, owned a number of cars that were manual only, tracked some of them, enjoyed the hell out of them - and I can say, without any reservation, I love the A10 experience, and if someone offered me a straight swap, exact car with an M6 + $5K, it would be a no_can_do.

I think there's a lot to be said about the "here and now" though, right now, for me, it's way better, the 10-year-ago me? Maybe not to much :D

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yes. But, even with the “speed limiter” shut to off in the tune I had a TCU rpm limiter @ 120 mph and another one around 130 mph. Tuner had to manually find them in the TCU code. My car is a base 300a with pp1 a10. fyi.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
2018s have a lot of blown engines
id look for a 19

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree, the A10 in Sport or Track mode is a hoss.

Amazing how these things perform right off the showroom floor.
Sponsored