Sponsored

Debating trading in the R for a more family oriented vehicle....

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I just put the R away for the winter. I probably put less than 500 miles on it this past driving season. I’ve been blessed with a 2nd boy this past October and now have 2 boys in diapers. I was impulsed to buy an R in the summer of 2017 because I found a unicorn MSRP deal at a time when it was unheard of. I guess you can say it was the thrill of the hunt, and I love the hunt.

Years ago my brother bought a garage queen WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, sight unseen. I was tasked with picking it up and delivering it to his home. I live in Ohio, the SRT was in Ohio, and my brother lives in NC. The drive from Ohio to NC was a revalation. The SUV handled and accelerated like no SUV could at the time. I became an instant fan.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago...I’ve always been intrigued with the 2018 Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, but thought the sticker prices were insane. Some of them crest $100K. F that. That was early 2018, and now there are over 1000 nationwide collecting dust on dealer lots. I reached out to a few dealers for shits and giggles and through negotiations am close to securing a stripper Trackhawk (MSRP just under $88K in True Blue Pearl Coat) for about 13% off MSRP. I’m getting what I think is a very generous trade in value on the R, $62K. With the trade in tax savings it’s really $66,200.

I know I would miss the R, particularly the handling and the sound....but after 2 years, I’ve only got 1500 miles on it and have yet to track it. It’s mostly due to lack of time. If I make time, I feel bad for not being with my kids. I would use the Trackhawk as our weekend runabout with the family. I know my 2.5yr old would get a kick out of it. I personally think the SRT/Trackhawk GC’s look classy and badass. They shouldn’t exist....they are crazy fast (some owners are getting 11.4 quarter mile times in good weather stock) with instant power and equally rediculous fuel economy (owners post MPG’s equal to what I get with the R).

I’m looking for people’s thoughts on my dilemma. All opinions are welcome. This has been the best forum I have been involved in.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My only advice would be to check out others in the segment - BMW X5M, Jaguar F-Pace SVR, Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Porsche Cayenne/Macan Turbo, etc.

There are some really fun options for fast SUVs right now. Wife and I are eyeing a few them to replace her lease in about a year.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you are going to do it, might as well get a prius. J/K. Do whatever makes you happy.

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
My only advice would be to check out others in the segment - BMW X5M, Jaguar F-Pace SVR, Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Porsche Cayenne/Macan Turbo, etc.

There are some really fun options for fast SUVs right now. Wife and I are eyeing a few them to replace her lease in about a year.
I’m drawn to the HC. I wouldn’t consider a Euro SUV.

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
If you are going to do it, might as well get a prius. J/K. Do whatever makes you happy.
My wife already drives an ‘18 Highlander Hybrid. ;)

Sponsored

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
I just put the R away for the winter. I probably put less than 500 miles on it this past driving season. I’ve been blessed with a 2nd boy this past October and now have 2 boys in diapers. I was impulsed to buy an R in the summer of 2017 because I found a unicorn MSRP deal at a time when it was unheard of. I guess you can say it was the thrill of the hunt, and I love the hunt.

Years ago my brother bought a garage queen WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, sight unseen. I was tasked with picking it up and delivering it to his home. I live in Ohio, the SRT was in Ohio, and my brother lives in NC. The drive from Ohio to NC was a revalation. The SUV handled and accelerated like no SUV could at the time. I became an instant fan.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago...I’ve always been intrigued with the 2018 Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, but thought the sticker prices were insane. Some of them crest $100K. F that. That was early 2018, and now there are over 1000 nationwide collecting dust on dealer lots. I reached out to a few dealers for shits and giggles and through negotiations am close to securing a stripper Trackhawk (MSRP just under $88K in True Blue Pearl Coat) for about 13% off MSRP. I’m getting what I think is a very generous trade in value on the R, $62K. With the trade in tax savings it’s really $66,200.

I know I would miss the R, particularly the handling and the sound....but after 2 years, I’ve only got 1500 miles on it and have yet to track it. It’s mostly due to lack of time. If I make time, I feel bad for not being with my kids. I would use the Trackhawk as our weekend runabout with the family. I know my 2.5yr old would get a kick out of it. I personally think the SRT/Trackhawk GC’s look classy and badass. They shouldn’t exist....they are crazy fast (some owners are getting 11.4 quarter mile times in good weather stock) with instant power and equally rediculous fuel economy (owners post MPG’s equal to what I get with the R).

I’m looking for people’s thoughts on my dilemma. All opinions are welcome. This has been the best forum I have been involved in.
No lie no bullshit. Don't do it! That trackhawk for 13% off msrp might sound like a deal before you sign on a dotted line, but it'll be worth less than 25% off msrp the minute you sign on that dotted line. Go buy a set of rear seats for your R, so that your kids can enjoy the car with you. A trackhawk is definitely fun, but it is no where near the specialness of your gt350r.

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
^ This was something else I was debating...getting a rear seat....then the car A.D.D. flares up again. LOL

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
^ This was something else I was debating...getting a rear seat....then the car A.D.D. flares up again. LOL
Bingo! You're going to regret the trade the minute initial "deal" wears off. If you think about it from a pure financial level, those track hawks didn't sit on the lots for a year because they were highly sought after. The value is going to tank like a rock. Your almost 2 year old car is still worth 62k to the dealer. That's awesome residues.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
2019 RAM 1500 /w eTorque Hybrid Hemi , e-locker rear axle and adaptive cruise control

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
^ Eh....never been a truck guy. Plus my dad lives next door and has 2 trucks, if I ever need to borrow one.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
No lie no bullshit. Don't do it! That trackhawk for 13% off msrp might sound like a deal before you sign on a dotted line, but it'll be worth less than 25% off msrp the minute you sign on that dotted line. Go buy a set of rear seats for your R, so that your kids can enjoy the car with you. A trackhawk is definitely fun, but it is no where near the specialness of your gt350r.
Well, that trade-in may be an anomoly. Kelly Blue Book is mid $50K’s tops. The second best TH deal I shopped had my trade at $54K. I’ve seen used R’s advertised on this site for the low $60K range. My trade may be too good of a deal to pass up. The R ADM mystique is gone.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I checked the Ram hybrid, and its only a 16 hp electric motor. There is also Charger Hellcat. Seats 4-5 and priced better.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Your R is kind of an anomaly in the resale world, they do really nice. That said, I’ve looked at used SRT cherokees for the lady and they seemed high to me...which tells me at least the dealer thought they held decent value lol. I also agree that many trackhawks are sitting there and getting discounted, so we can deduct they’re not so highly sought after...but neither was my ZL1-1LE and that’s what i have now and love it. My 350 tanked in value with the motor replacement and the fact there are a million regular used 350s for sale right now. I think as long as you don’t plan on selling it within the first couple months/years you will be ok.

I swear i was already thinking “this dude needs a trackhawk” and then you literally typed it! As of now, our daycare is right by my lady’s work...so i get away with driving whatever(and have a jeep just in case), but if the day comes where i need to take my daughter with me, i will sell whatever to be able to get a trackhawk. IMO, you need to enjoy your drive, even if it’s just your work commute.

If either of your boys are old enough to love the R already, disregard everything i said and put a seat in it...i will never forget some of my dad’s cool vehicles from when i was a kid :)

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
^ My S3 serves my work commute beautifully. I love it and will drive it into the ground, or hit a deer, whichever comes first. Both boys are in diapers, so leaning towards a family oriented weekend toy. We’ll see.

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I checked the Ram hybrid, and its only a 16 hp electric motor. There is also Charger Hellcat. Seats 4-5 and priced better.
Never been a fan of the Charger’s looks.
Sponsored