Sponsored

Debating between GT350R and ZL1 1LE. Thoughts?

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
On the contrary I suggest that these are two fellow car buddies that knew exactly how they wanted to park their 2 cars and ended up taking 3 parking spots instead of 2 in the spirit of avoiding some possible door dings from other vehicles.

Looks like to me that this parking location was not that busy at the time and was located near the end of the parking lot area therefore don't see any issue with how they have parked their cars.

I have done the very same many times myself but only if the situation allows for it.

:like::like:
well, his profile says he owns both a zle and a 350r, so they might both be his.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Before I joined this forum and as I started looking into a retirement, fun car, I was looking at everything.
I work in the auto industry and see quite a bit of just about everything. In my neck of the woods the Camaro is extremely popular along with many a Mustang. Now getting into the performance end of both cars, Camaros are by far the local choice, very popular. I sat in one and had to maneuver around a tight lot with high end cars....I could barely see around me! Thatā€™s what made me scratch the Camaro off my list, your results may vary.

DTINDY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DUANE
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Well I bought a ZL1 1LE and then traded for a ZL1 A10. The interior, technology and stereo make the ZL1 a much nicer place to be and the LT4 motors can handle a lot of miles. The 1LE was just too harsh for daily driving as I do 100 miles a day. The A10 automatic is fantastic and the torque is real good. If it was going to be a daily with plans to put a lot of miles on the car I would go back to the ZL1. Now the good part, the Shelby fun factor is a lot better. The sound of the motor is glorious and running the gears to redline just makes the world a better place. ZL1 very planted and precise handling, Shelby moves around more in a good way and steering feedback is dramatic compared to ZL1. When I decided to limit the mileage on the car the Shelby won and ZL1 was sold.

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350R & ā€˜19 ZL1 1LE
well, his profile says he owns both a zle and a 350r, so they might both be his.
Wow, Iā€™m not sure a picture of both cars in a parking lot deserved this much of a conversation because of the way they are parked. Both are mine, my wife drives the ZLE most of the time when we take both cars out together. The parking lot is at a local establishment with an outdoor screen, and the parking lot is used in a variety of ways depending on what the feature presentation is (sports, racing, kids movies, etc.), and they also hold a few car shows there every year. At that particular time the parking lot was maybe 15% full showing a college football game with very little interest to most. And the spot to the left of the R is not a full spot, itā€™s cut by a play area for kids with a fence and rail that splits that parking spot. The OP was asking about comparing the R and ZLE. Well, thereā€™s one of each side-by-side, I drive them both, and I enjoy them both.

I think we should all follow PP001s lead and be civil in our posts.

To the OP, you can see from the other posts here, both cars have their own merits. On this forum the majority of responses will be in favor of the R, and I would agree by a slim margin. But you will need to decide which pros and cons are more relevant to your personal preferences.

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting either 350R or ZLE(M6). Has anyone thought about these two cars? if so what made you to get GT350? Any inputs would be appreciated!
Having driven both on and off track (GT350R, mine; ZL1 1LE, friends) it really come down to what you are wanting in the vehicle. The GT350R will not equal the 1LE on the track, same day, same driver. From a street standpoint, the GT350R is the better vehicle.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I agree with JWT, unless you are a very experienced track racer or professional, chances of you matching either of these cars abilities is pretty slim...even a well modified PP1 or PP2 will be challenging to over drive...

Cobraking00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
03 cobra
I was in the same boat as you almost exactly 1 year ago. As most have said, go drive both and see which one you prefer. The cars compete in the same segment but achieve different driving experiences. The bowtie has the power and will scoot around a track quicker. It can also be found at a cheaper deal. The R is very unique and special, while itā€™s not nearly as quick, itā€™s down 125hp and 200lbs in torque, but when I hit the start button for the first time it just felt like a special car. It had soul. And I get that everytime I start it. If you want the fastest pony with the best bang for your buck grab the camaro, if you appreciate an emotional connection with a car and the history it has, go get the Snake.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'd rather own a GT350. But, I'm a Ford guy. I do not support a company that screwed it shareholders, went bankrupt and used government money to make unions rich. I'd rather walk than own a GM product

If you have no brand loyalty and want to drive 1980's tech, the ZL1 is for you.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
To the op. Is your primary use of the car going to be track duty? If so then the ZL1-1LE is your best choice.

In regards the best car for the 99% of the time most would use their car, the R is the car you want.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I didn't read all the replies sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

I own both, 2018 ZLE and a 19R. Looks are subjective so I won't get too into it. I'll just tell you that I get a lot more attention in the ZLE than in the Shelby. I think it's because if you're not a car guy, you don't realize the Shelby is not just another mustang. The Camaro looks like a real life transformer (I've heard this multiple times from people on the street).

The ZLE is NOT a drag car like someone mentioned early on, it's built for the track. It's an absolute pleasure to drive fast, it's as quick as lightning.

The 19R is a similar experience and delight to drive fast but it lacks the power punch of the torque in the low RPMs. If you like torque while driving around in local streets than the Camaro is the one to pick. The Shelby needs room to be able to get the revs up and get into the power band. Doesn't make it a bad car, you just have to be ready to accept that around town/local roads you wont be able to feel the full power of the Voodoo. I stress this point because this turns some people off to the car.

But, you will get the sound of the Voodoo AT ALL TIMES which needless to say is incredible. The Camaro sounds like a Miata compared to the Shelby. In case you are like me and are a big fan of exhaust note, the sound is incredible and makes up for the lack of punch around town.

The ride in the Camaro is definitely stiff but it's not unbearable like some would have you believe. On stock tires it is harsh but doable, I strongly suggest you get rid of the stock tires and get pilot sport 4S. I drove the first year of ownership on the stock tires before switching to the Michellins......... the difference was substantial !!!!! I wish I would have done the swap the first year.

Like i said, the cars are similar yet different enough where owning both doesn't feel redundant. The ZLE is like combining the best of a Hellcat and a Shelby........... power and agility.

In the end they are both great cars in their own ways. I would really think about what kind of driving you like to do. If it's back/country roads where you can drop the hammer than you can't go wrong with either car.

ac253189

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I was between the two as many of us were. I only had the chance to drive a ZL1 A10, which was a blast to drive. I didn't think the bunker like view was horrible, after a couple hours of driving you get use to it. The torque down low is nice.

I've never driven an S550, let alone a 350, but I ended up getting a 19R. It's sitting in the garage and probably won't get to drive it until May when all the snow melts up here. What I will tell you tho, is it sure sounds nice when you start it up and the seating position I find more comfortable when I'm pretending to drive it in the garage. šŸ˜‚

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I didn't read all the replies sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

I own both, 2018 ZLE and a 19R. Looks are subjective so I won't get too into it. I'll just tell you that I get a lot more attention in the ZLE than in the Shelby. I think it's because if you're not a car guy, you don't realize the Shelby is not just another mustang. The Camaro looks like a real life transformer (I've heard this multiple times from people on the street).

The ZLE is NOT a drag car like someone mentioned early on, it's built for the track. It's an absolute pleasure to drive fast, it's as quick as lightning.

The 19R is a similar experience and delight to drive fast but it lacks the power punch of the torque in the low RPMs. If you like torque while driving around in local streets than the Camaro is the one to pick. The Shelby needs room to be able to get the revs up and get into the power band. Doesn't make it a bad car, you just have to be ready to accept that around town/local roads you wont be able to feel the full power of the Voodoo. I stress this point because this turns some people off to the car.

But, you will get the sound of the Voodoo AT ALL TIMES which needless to say is incredible. The Camaro sounds like a Miata compared to the Shelby. In case you are like me and are a big fan of exhaust note, the sound is incredible and makes up for the lack of punch around town.

The ride in the Camaro is definitely stiff but it's not unbearable like some would have you believe. On stock tires it is harsh but doable, I strongly suggest you get rid of the stock tires and get pilot sport 4S. I drove the first year of ownership on the stock tires before switching to the Michellins......... the difference was substantial !!!!! I wish I would have done the swap the first year.

Like i said, the cars are similar yet different enough where owning both doesn't feel redundant. The ZLE is like combining the best of a Hellcat and a Shelby........... power and agility.

In the end they are both great cars in their own ways. I would really think about what kind of driving you like to do. If it's back/country roads where you can drop the hammer than you can't go wrong with either car.
This is spot on. I moved from a Challenger HC to the R. Two totally different animals. The HC pulls all the way thru from start to the end. But that's expected with forced induction cars. Anyone who mashes the pedal of an R under 4k imo really doesn't understand the beast they are driving. Very ordinary TQ under 4k and definitely not impressive. The R really starts coming alive at 4k. And I dunno if it's just my R but at about ~7200 RPM on up there's a kick. It's like the car's cam profiles and programming opens up even more to let it breath up higher another notch and the car tells you it has even more. Like a "watch this" moment. It's the perfect home stretch finish line run profile.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The ZLE is a hard-core, single role weapon. The GT350 is an all-rounder. The normal ZL1 (magneride) is lovely to drive.
The ZLE has a terrible street ride. Unless you live 10 miles from a track you go to twice a month. Pass. For any real world use the regular ZL1 is better. For a track day environment, where you are only allowed to pass on the straights, I think the ZL1s make better track cars because of their extra power.

In a somewhat similar comparison, I feel the regular GT350 is a better choice than a GT350R. But in this case it is because the GT350R isn't much better, but it is much more expensive.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
This is spot on. I moved from a Challenger HC to the R. Two totally different animals. The HC pulls all the way thru from start to the end. But that's expected with forced induction cars. Anyone who mashes the pedal of an R under 4k imo really doesn't understand the beast they are driving. Very ordinary TQ under 4k and definitely not impressive. The R really starts coming alive at 4k. And I dunno if it's just my R but at about ~7200 RPM on up there's a kick. It's like the car's cam profiles and programming opens up even more to let it breath up higher another notch and the car tells you it has even more. Like a "watch this" moment. It's the perfect home stretch finish line run profile.
Mine does the same exact thing when i get the chance to get it up that high on the back roads. It makes me giggle and say "wow" every single time it does it.

The motor is screaming and just when you think it's going to let up, that extra push kicks in !!! Its incredible !!!

Not having the ability to experience that with ease is precisely what turns some people off to the Shelby.

In contrast, the Camaro will slam you in the seat anytime you hit the gas
Sponsored