Sponsored

Debating between GT350R and ZL1 1LE. Thoughts?

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting either 350R or ZLE(M6). Has anyone thought about these two cars? if so what made you to get GT350? Any inputs would be appreciated!
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting either 350R or ZLE(M6). Has anyone thought about these two cars? if so what made you to get GT350? Any inputs would be appreciated!
You can't go bad with either one, just really depends on what you want

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
There're bunch of YT videos "GT350 vs. ZL1 1LE". Not sure if I would ask this very subjective question and expect answer that I'll go with to purchase one or the other car. For me I would do the test drive for both which is not a lot but at least I'll gain a little feel of the car.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
There're bunch of YT videos "GT350 vs. ZL1 1LE". Not sure if I would ask this very subjective question and expect answer that I'll go with to purchase one or the other car. For me I would do the test drive for both which is not a lot but at least I'll gain a little feel of the car.
Agree. Lot of money to base off of opinions. But user experience can be fruitful as well i suppose.

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Drive them both, see which one grabs your fancy, unless you're a professional or serious amateur racer I suspect both will out perform you, so pick the one you feel best in. If you are a racer then see if you can test drive both on a track.

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
IMO, Camero is more of a drag racing type car. More low end torque from stop light to stop light. GT350/R is more of a track car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I personally by far prefer a naturally aspirated engine over a supercharged one. I do think you should at least try to drive both before deciding as well. Decide if the incredibly stiff ride in the ZL1 1LE is worth it to you. Most people who drive both and do car reviews say they prefer the GT350R unless it is for track only. However, some people think the ZL1 1LE is fine for street driving. I know a local guy who owned 2 different GT350s (non R) who bought a ZL1 1LE and he was driving it on the street all the time.

Also I think the GT350R looks less bonkers. The rear wing is artwork, whereas the ZL1 1LE has these crazy dive planes in the front and a big wing that looks very racy in back. I prefer a car that doesn't look too nutso when I am driving around in it. I think I would feel foolish if I were driving around in street traffic in the ZL1 1LE.

If you are looking for the most speed possible on big road courses - ZL1 1LE is probably your choice. It makes significantly more power. If you want to do easy burnouts ZL1. Mustang if you need more interior room, are claustrophobic or prefer good visibility.

Think seriously about the CF wheels on the GT350R. Will they be a downside for you? Some people end up not using them. I think they might be the best feature of the car other than the engine and brakes, so to me not using them is almost like a sin.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Head2Head did a comparison on these two... the 350R won (in their opinion).
I can't find the "Head2Head" on YouTube, but I found it on Roku and others.
It was a very good comparison.

Hope this helps...!!!

Sponsored
OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Thank you all for the reply. I love the Shelby heritage, exhaust note and fpc of the gt350 and I love the aggressive look of the zle and torque. I test drove both of the cars and still cant decide what is more worth to me.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I would agree with most of what @Hack said. I actually prefer the looks of the GT350R over the ZLE still yet. It’s once you hop in and begin using the machine is where I think the ZL1 could have an advantage. And really its small and mostly subjective stuff. The ZL1 will have heated and cooled seats, HUD, and also an interior that looks like it’ll age about as well as other camaro models(not well IMO lol). I actually like the mustang interior better, but the little stuff the camaro adds just gives it the bang for buck.

The power delivery could not be more different. I have fallen in love with instant torque, but also notice the LT4 stops pulling a little earlier than I was used to with the coyote and voodoo I’d previously owned. On the street, the torque is more fun to me, it can also make pulling you out of a corner on track easier if you’re not in the right gear. The LT4/TR6060 wins out here IMO and likely more robust to mod if you’re headed down that road. We are adding a cam and headers to mine now, just a fun project with Pops.

ZL1 also has rev match, pretty neat feature even if it does feel like cheating...can add auto-blip to the 350 for same effect.

I’ve never driven the sport cup 2 on the street, but the GY SC3R on the ZLE is not very street friendly...think about another set of tires for either car if you’re mostly street miles.

I liked both cars on track, and I think what Ford did was pretty precise and purposeful, the camaro being the more violent of the 2. Pick your poison there, until you get seat time in either you will point by gutted miatas with great humility lol.

Lastly, I’m not sure if they will let you test drive a ZLE in these temps, but if you can take it down your personal commute...I’d try it before buying. There are roads out there, that if i had to drive daily, no way I’d own this car. There is one dip on my way to work that makes taking a drink impossible lol...but this also makes the ZLE feel more stable at high speeds than my previous 350(not an R).

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
I would agree with most of what @Hack said. I actually prefer the looks of the GT350R over the ZLE still yet. It’s once you hop in and begin using the machine is where I think the ZL1 could have an advantage. And really its small and mostly subjective stuff. The ZL1 will have heated and cooled seats, HUD, and also an interior that looks like it’ll age about as well as other camaro models(not well IMO lol). I actually like the mustang interior better, but the little stuff the camaro adds just gives it the bang for buck.

The power delivery could not be more different. I have fallen in love with instant torque, but also notice the LT4 stops pulling a little earlier than I was used to with the coyote and voodoo I’d previously owned. On the street, the torque is more fun to me, it can also make pulling you out of a corner on track easier if you’re not in the right gear. The LT4/TR6060 wins out here IMO and likely more robust to mod if you’re headed down that road. We are adding a cam and headers to mine now, just a fun project with Pops.

ZL1 also has rev match, pretty neat feature even if it does feel like cheating...can add auto-blip to the 350 for same effect.

I’ve never driven the sport cup 2 on the street, but the GY SC3R on the ZLE is not very street friendly...think about another set of tires for either car if you’re mostly street miles.

I liked both cars on track, and I think what Ford did was pretty precise and purposeful, the camaro being the more violent of the 2. Pick your poison there, until you get seat time in either you will point by gutted miatas with great humility lol.

Lastly, I’m not sure if they will let you test drive a ZLE in these temps, but if you can take it down your personal commute...I’d try it before buying. There are roads out there, that if i had to drive daily, no way I’d own this car. There is one dip on my way to work that makes taking a drink impossible lol...but this also makes the ZLE feel more stable at high speeds than my previous 350(not an R).
Gutted miatas......love it.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Only things the ZL1 1LE has on the 350R is torque and cheaper to replace the engine (doesn’t matter if only keeping car during warranty period).

Everything else favors the GT350R: better ride, visibility, interior, sound, shifter, exterior style

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
ZL1 looks fantastic from the outside. GT350 looks and sounds fantastic from in and outside. If I had to look out the windows though? GT350 all day.
Sponsored