Sponsored

Dean Martin's GT4 Mustang

Trevor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 1993 Mustang LX, 2018 Audi S4
Yes! I almost posted yesterday to ask about updates from Watkins Glen. Thank you kind sir! I always look forward to it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Regarding the Kadima car. It had a bit of a struggle during one of it's pit stops that I caught on camera but at the time it happened I wasn't sure why. George and I went out to dinner with a few of the crew members the night of the race and we talked about what happened. Apparently, the ABS sensor on the driver side rear went out. I'm pretty sure both the driver knew based on the way the car was behaving as well as the crew knowing due to the data on it they were receiving. So when the car pitted it was decided to change the sensor.

[ame]

Problem is, the gentleman (Jesse) tasked with replacing it couldn't see the fastener. He was required to keep his helmet on and he couldn't get his head under the car with it on. The two Kohr cars utilize different fasteners at the sensor location. One a socket headed capscrew and the other a metric bolt. So he had to use a mirror to see which one and then he removed it by feel. The sensor was changed after the car was held up for some time. Interestingly enough it didn't mitigate the issue as it may have been rooted in an issue with the hub.

[ame]

Something else. I witnessed an aluminum driveshaft failure (a one-piece) at Mosport last year on the Kohr/Nano car. It fractured at the weld where the yoke gets inserted into the aluminum tube and it ripped a fairly large sized hole on each side of the tunnel above it. It was replaced in kind with an identical unit.

At Daytona I watched as the team dove under the car at the last minute to replace a "timed out" driveshaft with a new one.

Again, aluminum for aluminum.
So I asked if the GT4 Mustangs were still using an aluminum shaft and was told no. There has been a switch to a one-piece steel shaft. Apparently the sequential transmission in these cars can bang away shifts not only very fast but also very hard. It was causing fatigue and ultimately failure of the aluminum shafts.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Regarding the Kadima car. It had a bit of a struggle during one of it's pit stops that I caught on camera but at the time it happened I wasn't sure why. George and I I went out to dinner with a few of the crew members the night of the race and we talked about what happened. Apparently, the ABS sensor on the driver side rear went out. I'm pretty sure both the driver knew based on the way the car was behaving as well as the crew knowing due to the data on it they were receiving. So when the car pitted it was decided to change the sensor.

Problem is, the gentleman (Jesse) tasked with replacing it couldn't see the fastener. He was required to keep his helmet on and he couldn't get his head under the car with it on. The two Kohr cars utilize different fasteners at the sensor location. One a socket headed capscrew and the other a metric bolt. So he had to use a mirror to see which one and then he removed it by feel. The sensor was changed after the car was held up for some time. Interestingly enough it didn't mitigate the issue as it may have been rooted in an issue with the hub.

Something else. I witnessed an aluminum driveshaft failure (a one-piece) at Mosport last year on the Kohr/Nano car. It fractured at the weld where the yoke gets inserted into the aluminum tube and it ripped a fairly large sized hole on each side of the tunnel above it. It was replaced in kind with an identical unit.

At Daytona I watched as the team dove under the car at the last minute to replace a "timed out" driveshaft with a new one.

Again, aluminum for aluminum.
So I asked if the GT4 Mustangs were still using an aluminum shaft and was told no. There has been a switch to a one-piece steel shaft. Apparently the sequential transmission in these cars can bang away shifts not only very fast but also very hard. It was causing fatigue and ultimately failure of the aluminum shafts.
I wonder if the same type of failure could occur with a “hybrid” design, which is a carbon-fiber wrapped aluminum shaft.....

On a side note, [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION], I really enjoy reading your coverage of these races. Thank you.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed Dean commented on the ABS sensor issue on the Kadima car on Facebook...

Dean Martin said:
The 59 car had a LR wheel bearing go bad and it caused the ABS to malfunction.

Sponsored

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Would also like to pass along the gratitude for posting up the pics during the course of the race. If not for you we would never get an inside glimpse of the team & cars that many of us enjoy. Thanks Again! Look forward to the next installment!LOL

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
What's the story with Andy Lally teaming with JRj? Is that a permanent change?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to ask but didn't. The things I've heard from round the campfire wouldn't be fair to repeat here. Mosport is only a few days away so we shall see.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok...

- Lally was only to be one-time. That is not to say it won't happen again sometime in the future.

- The Roush-Yates homologated 5.2L engine in the Scudo car has been replaced with a brand new engine. It dyno'd down a bit on power so the decision was made to replace. Hopefully it now has enough to at least keep up with the 2nd place BMW if not be faster.

- Not certain the Kadima car (#59) will be run at Mosport. It did suffer minor damage in an incident at Watkins Glen.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
that racing is so close, imagine replacing your engine for a couple hp. I think the Conti gt4 stuff is amazing right now. tons of cars and awesome drivers. I cant seem to enjoy the PWC format as much.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Jack in the gt4 was one of the fastest guys last year, I know he can drive the hell out of that car. I have been really surprised at several of their finishes. I just assume Dean will get it sorted.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The halfshafts were failing from a boot issue that led to a lack of grease which resulted in a joint failure.

Jack may be getting some time off from his ride in the #59 car. I wish it were otherwise.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yessssss!!!

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Good race. Pissed at IMSA TV for pulling away from the 3rd place race at the end there.
Sponsored