OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The red one is gone. He's raced it in the Pacific northwest recently...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If I promise to bathe it and take care of it, can I bring it home, please..... :D

Just wow.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
What??? No subwoofer???:shrug:

Just kidding! Awesome car!

CVCashmere

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.

wibled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2002 Thunderbird, 2021 Bronco Sp
Beautiful machine. Can we catch this series on TV?
Yes usually on Fox Sports 1 or 2 a week or two after the race. Also live on imsa.com

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Weren't the first GT350R-C's using the FPC's? I could have sworn I remember reading an article about the sound being what made them easily recognizable during the Continental championship. Awesome pics, thanks. And yeah, stitch welding was always done on the BMW race cars too. It was one of those signs of someone's car having gone off the deep end into being a race car.
I thought they were too, and I also saw it noted the GT4 was a CPC (acknowledgement of a change). I haven't heard why they dropped the FPC, though were I to venture a guess give as I understand it the GS cars are limited to around 400 HP, it simply can't make full use of the power developed at high rpm. I also heard through the rumor mill the Ford had built up CPC 5.2 that actually was more powerful than the FPC, though perhaps not as high a reving engine. In any case it's clear Ford is learning how to get the most out of the DOHC V8's.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The GT350R-C cars were using an engine with a flat plane crank engine in them. Direct from the company that made them, Multimatic.

http://multimaticmotorsports.com/technical-archive/2015-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r/

When they were running I had heard that the engines were being torn down rather frequently. Whether that was for development or repair I don't know as I believe they were sealed units as delivered from Roush. Commentary from those in the race circle always seemed a bit negative regarding this particular FPC and it would seem as though many are pleased to have moved back to a conventional CPC engine in GT4. However, it is clear that Ford doesn't want any bad press regarding the FPC and as such it seems that the corporate standpoint is to stay hush hush on the matter.

At the introduction of the GT350S everyone kept wondering if the car was a FPC or CPC. Ford Racing went out of their way to not talk about it.

Sponsored

NicksM3

Trak Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3 Competition
Very nice build indeed. Now at the track a month ago, a fellow mustang enthusiast who had an inside told me that they do not use the same FPC motor as out going models. They mainly use a coyote motor for reliability reasons. Made sense to be because the coyote doesn't vibrate as hard as the FPC. Figured you guys found this interesting, or maybe I'm too late and this info is out already.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Very nice build indeed. Now at the track a month ago, a fellow mustang enthusiast who had an inside told me that they do not use the same FPC motor as out going models. They mainly use a coyote motor for reliability reasons. Made sense to be because the coyote doesn't vibrate as hard as the FPC. Figured you guys found this interesting, or maybe I'm too late and this info is out already.

Really no inside needed. It was never marketed to have used the fpc engine. They claim they are leaving it exclusive to the 350.. which in reality means the fpc was a pita to compete with last year and was hard on components both behind the engine and attached to it. So the current engine is more closely related to the aluminator xs 5.2l crate engine but roush prepped.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
OMG, I can't believe I missed this thread!

Many thanks to the OP ... this made my day, especially after the great weekend Ford had @ Road America.

On a side note, and not to offend anyone with a production GT350, but after researching as a means to purchase, I began to realize something wasn't quite right with the FPC. Talk of oil filters backing out and a host of other ailments made me change my decision. Great car, very unique, but probably not the safest track choice out there for the money.

Last edited:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The Mustang GT4 & FP350S are CPC 5.2s (Voodoo long blocks, not coyote). I don't think it's much of a secret...

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brodygoble/sets/72157683418837381/with/35553079241/

Hadn't been up on this thread for a bit. This car ran at Pacific Raceways a couple weeks ago at a Conference (SCCA of the NW essentially) race, and then ran the following weekend at Portland (PIR) in the Trans Am West series in TA4 class. A Vancounver BC dealer got the car and is a racer obviously.

For reference, I ran 1:32 on a hero lap at Pacific and averaged 1:33s, which is very respectable and about as fast as you will see at an HPDE event. [MENTION=23430]honeybadger[/MENTION] can vouch for what what a 1:33 feels like here. This car's qualifying time was 1:24.....GIDDYUP! 1:21 was best at Portland.
Sponsored

Last edited: