Sponsored

Dean Martin's GT4 Mustang

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Heat from drive angle, heat from exhaust.. you'll find heat wrap on the exhaust of the GT4's and even the fp350s has fiberglass wrap on the pipe near the rear end. They have tried several things including venting (which they still may do) but have rectified it supposedly with a new boot.
Noticed that. Makes sense too, as the S550 track guys are finding that wrapping their exhaust helps with diff temps.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Sportscar365/Mark Rushbrook:
"Ford provided updated half-shafts and a new steel prop-shaft to all of its customer teams, along with other optional updates, prior to the Pirelli World Challenge season-opener at St. Pete."
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/ford-multimatics-open-book-policy-with-mustang-gt4-customers/

I wonder what the "update" was? As you said, Epiphany, the cars seem to be doing fine on axles ever since Sebring.
Someone that posted elsewhere that owns a GT4 Mustang commented that his car came with beefier half shaft from the FR parts bin. He doesn't race in the Continental series so he isn't bound by the SRO rules for IMSA. Dean's crew made it clear to me that they were still running production Ford half shafts. The team uses an aftermarket boot, grease, and vents it the way I showed earlier in this thread.

The driveshaft update was a change from an aluminum one-piece to a steel one-piece.

On edit:

Just showed up at my doorstep. Nate Stacy's mother and father had these done.

20180713_110618-4K.jpg

20180713_110632-4K.jpg

Last edited:

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone watch the PWC PIR races? If not, I recommend doing so. It was very entertaining; especially Race 2. Scott Maxwell pulls some very impressive ticks out on the Camaro's (Tony Gaples did an amazing job holding off the talented Maxwell for a few laps though).

If Jade Buford keeps it up, along with Scott Maxwell, Ford may be able to take PWC GTS and CTSCC GS...

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Anyone watch the PWC PIR races? If not, I recommend doing so. It was very entertaining; especially Race 2. Scott Maxwell pulls some very impressive ticks out on the Camaro's (Tony Gaples did an amazing job holding off the talented Maxwell for a few laps though).

If Jade Buford keeps it up, along with Scott Maxwell, Ford may be able to take PWC GTS and CTSCC GS...
I was at the race on Sunday. It was really cool to see the GT4 Mustangs in person. It was a great race with lots of action. The Mustang team also had a FP350S in the pits that was an awesome machine.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Not a fan of PWC so much. They changed the BOP so much it has been a Panoz / Sin show last couple events. Not interested in racing where the lightest and most nimble cars are also just as fast on the straights. .

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
At PWC Portland the mustangs & camaro's were running good, I think they just lost some track position to the Sin/Panoz during restarts. I imagine tracks with elevation changes might favor the high hp cars

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Not a fan of PWC so much. They changed the BOP so much it has been a Panoz / Sin show last couple events. Not interested in racing where the lightest and most nimble cars are also just as fast on the straights. .

Totally agree, the BOP in PWC is just ludicrous.

PWC is trending down big time since being taken over by the euro centric SRO group. It's been going downhill for a couple of years, but the move to SRO's GTx and TCR classes will be the nail in the coffin. Look at the GT grids versus the last few years. GTS/GT4 will be OK for a year or two, but the phenomenal costs to run these OEM built race cars will raise its head there as well. Cutting out garage built cars was a dumb move. IMSA owns the high buck classes and PWC has abandoned its traditional garage built race car base, it will be the death of the series. Look at the price to own and run a TCR car, the supposed entry level class. Not smart thinking at all.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mustangs were hit hard with numerous BOP "adjustments" after Mosport. Weight added, more restriction to the intake tract, tank fill nozzle diameter decreased, and the amount of fuel the car can carry has been reduced as well. Much of this because Kyle Marcelli was able to do the impossible - stay out front while at the same time saving fuel. The details make for an amazing story. Sadly, all the Mustang cars are now paying the price. Thanks IMSA!!

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
The idea that the lighter cars with speed through the corners, and are easier on tires need to be "racey" in the straights is silly. They gave them the torque and top speed to compete anywhere on the track and kept there benefits making them dominate in others. What's next more power for the crossbow? Its jacked.

At PWC Portland the mustangs & camaro's were running good, I think they just lost some track position to the Sin/Panoz during restarts. I imagine tracks with elevation changes might favor the high hp cars

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Exactly correct, they gave the Ford a completely over the top adjustment. Weekends are busy, lots to do. If they make the ford non competitive I simply wont watch.

But when you have announcers clearly routing for the AMG, Fualkner in particular bemoaning the Mustangs torque this is what you get. Shaw to his credit fought some of this.

There are a couple AMG drivers that if they were on the same team, would be dominant. Its not the car. Premat is stupid fast, Dontjie is fast. Ward is fast too. The BMW is a very fast car. The BMW has shown the same and at times better pace than the mustang. The Audi is also stupid fast when its hooked up. The Ford is getting penalized because there are several very good and balanced teams that did well over the last few events. Period.

The Porsche was the fastest car at Sebring, second to Premat in the AMG. That was a team win, had nothing to do with pace.

This BOP is just fantasy land bullshit to bring in false competition. The modspace team can flat out drive and engineer a car, So can dean and the KOHR team.

In many cases it was strategy, and pure driving talent. For this they get a massive restrictor and fueling nerf. I'm not sure the car will be competitive without a huge strategy win.

I expect one or more of the BMWs to now to very well, the top 3-4 AMG teams will do great, the audi will be faster if he gets out of his own way, and 28 will be tough as always. The weaker Ford teams will struggle to get in the top 7-8.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the Mustangs got a major negative BoP adjustment for Lime Rock this weekend...

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mentioned that up above.

Irony is, if Marcelli hadn't missed the pit under caution at Mosport he'd have been back in the field a number of spots. He pulled off the win while short on fuel and the Mustangs are being penalized across the board because of it. Bottom line - the data doesn't support the adjustments that were made. This was clearly a "Marcelli adjustment."

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Yup

Sebring = strategy win
Mid Ohio = Good track for the Ford but the Fords pace was matched by all the other cars
Watkins Glen = BMW had more pace
CTMP = If he pits he is fighting with PG for 4-5

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Volt had fuel alarms going off on the final lap.

Irony is, if Marcelli hadn't missed the pit under caution at Mosport he'd have been back in the field a number of spots. He pulled off the win while short on fuel and the Mustangs are being penalized across the board because of it. Bottom line - the data doesn't support the adjustments that were made. This was clearly a "Marcelli adjustment."

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sorry about that.

Yeah, it’s stupid because the #60 was supposed to come in, but erroneously didn’t. KOHR then gambled on making it to the end, and it worked, but almost didn’t.

Nice birthday surprise for Dean.

Now they get BoPed because they got lucky...
Sponsored