Dean Martin's GT4 Mustang

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by Epiphany, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Quick
    0   0   0
    #1 Epiphany, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Multimatic learned quite a bit with the recent GT350R-C car and you can see much of it with the latest GT4 effort. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity for a pretty thorough study last weekend when Dean Martin and his Kohr Motorsport team came to Mosport up in Bowmanville, Ontario to run in the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge. A second car being run by the Volt team was there as well. Anyway, I'll share what I can here and hope it provides some insight into just what goes into these cars. And maybe you'll decide to click and add one to your cart.:)

https://www.kohrmotorsports.com/product/2017-ford-mustang-gt4-racecar/

This car is a beast.

xz%20IMG_4131.jpgThe car starts off as a body in white with a FIA-compliant roll cage and a seam welded body. The engines are done by Roush and restricted to certain class requirements. It uses a CPC crank and not a FPC. The TR3160 6 speed the GT350R-C cars used is gone and has been replaced with a Holinger sequential gearbox. An aftermarket one-piece aluminum driveshaft replaces the typical two-piece steel S550 shaft. The rear axle housing uses a Torsen differential with stock Ford axles. Brakes are all Brembo, six piston up front and four piston out back.

Starting off with the interior cabin, these cars are all business. You can see numerous fiber pieces along with a host of safety, data acquisition, and communications equipment everywhere you look.

xz%20IMG_4095.jpg

xz%20IMG_4088.jpg

xz%20IMG_4089.jpg

xz%20IMG_4081.jpg

xz%20IMG_4082.jpg

xz%20IMG_4084.jpg

The engine uses the regular GT intake manifold, ducting, and airbox. The GT350R-C car used the system from the GT350 but this car doesn't have that luxury. I believe the tubular exhaust manifolds are from the GT350 with the exhaust all custom after that.

xz%20IMG_4031.jpg

Dry sump oil reservoir.

xz%20IMG_4037.jpg

True dual exhaust system, just as God intended.

xz%20IMG_4077.jpg

xz%20IMG_4092.jpg

The aforementioned Brembo brake system stops this badboy on a dime. The fronts...

xz%20IMG_4046_1.jpg

xz%20IMG_4047.jpg

xz%20IMG_4048.jpg

xz%20IMG_4050.jpg

Rears...

xz%20IMG_4091_1.jpg

xz%20IMG_4054.jpg

The Dynamic Suspesnion (Multimatic's own) DSSV 2-way coilover dampers (bump and rebound) are absolutely state of the art.

Front...

xz%20IMG_4045.jpg

Atop the front struts are Multimatic's own camber plates. State of the art, they allow quick, repeatable camber changes by simply moving shims from one side to the other. Note the stitch welds on the strut tower, done via mig in ~1" beads with about an inch of space in between.

xz%20IMG_4106.jpg

xz%20IMG_4040.jpg

xz%20IMG_4038.jpg

xz%20IMG_4068.jpg

Sorry guys, if you want these for your street going Mustang, they aren't going to work with your production style struts and suspension. Price is just under 1k per side if you want them anyway.

Rear dampers...

xz%20IMG_4053.jpg

xz%20IMG_4059.jpg

Not to be out done by the front, the rear suspension uses a pretty trick sway bar that ties into a gorgeous CNC billet aluminum lower control arm.

xz%20IMG_4057.jpg

xz%20IMG_4056.jpg

The cars were using a fabricated arm which was recently upgraded to the hardware you see here.

xz%20IMG_4061.jpg

The Continental series require Continental tires, naturally. On nothing less than the best - Forgeline. Wheel studs and lug nuts are from MSI Racing in Mooresville, NC.

Front...

xz%20IMG_4044.jpg

Rear...

xz%20IMG_4122.jpg

The body is a mix of stock GT350 and Multimatic fabricated carbon fiber panels. To begin with, the hood, easily the most eye catching short of the massive rear wing. This baby is all fiber.

xz%20IMG_4063.jpg

xz%20IMG_4062.jpg

xz%20IMG_4064.jpg

xz%20IMG_4108.jpg

xz%20IMG_4103.jpg

xz%20IMG_4096.jpg

Hood latches are from Aerocatch.

xz%20IMG_4101_1.jpg

xz%20IMG_4104.jpg

Want one?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-16612-GT4

The doors are not to be outdone either. Feather light with a perfect fit.

xz%20IMG_4093.jpg

xz%20IMG_4094.jpg

The grill panel behind the honeycomb is from the GT350R which utilizes a slightly smaller opening than that of the non-R GT350. Front hook can be purchased from the Ford Racing catalog.

xz%20IMG_4035.jpg

The lower, outside fascia openings are completely blocked off behind their respective honeycomb panels. The idea is to reduce excess airflow into the engine bay and its subsequent lift. The GT4 cars don't place coolers there ala the factory GT350 anyway.

xz%20IMG_4034.jpg

The canards, or dive planes used up front are CF (but formerly sheet aluminum prior to homolgation) and are purely for aero, 100%.

xz%20IMG_4032.jpg

xz%20IMG_4051.jpg

They attach to the fender as well as the CF splitter below.

xz%20IMG_4033.jpg

The splitter, yet another Multimatic custom CF piece, attaches to the body at the stock pickup points as well as via a pair of cable lanyards.

xz%20IMG_4097.jpg

The rear wing was optimized for drag as much as it was for downforce. It is simply gorgeous.

xz%20IMG_4069.jpg

Ignore the silly blue car that interrupted my all important wing documentation.

xz%20IMG_4195.jpg

Miscellaneous. Fuel system...

xz%20IMG_4073.jpg

xz%20IMG_4074.jpg

Axle vent...

xz%20IMG_4078.jpg

xz%20IMG_4085.jpg

Air jack system and safety blocks...

xz%20IMG_4080.jpg

xz%20IMG_4049.jpg

xz%20IMG_4118.jpg

I have a bit more to share but wanted to get this much up first. Dean/Kohr and Multimatic have worked very hard to make this happen. In my view they have a fantastic job with it. What do you think?

2. Bcobb85

Bcobb85 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    Nicely done detailed pics :thumbsup:

jdilissio likes this.
  3. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Brilliant photos...............gorgeous GT4. And Dean's a great guy :)

4. snaproll

snaproll Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    350R/88LX/FR500S
    0   0   0
  5. FlowForm_Wheels

FlowForm_Wheels Well-Known Member
    Gold Sponsor

First Name:
    Jurrian
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford Mustang
    0   0   0
    So awesome, thanks for posting up the photos :)

6. FP350S

FP350S Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Robear
    Vehicle(s):
    16 TY GT350
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    :ford: Cool Shit...:coolphotos:

7. Clink

Clink Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '14 Focus
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Amazed as I kept scrolling, awesome pics thanks for sharing!

machsmith likes this.
  8. HISSMAN

HISSMAN Large Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Those camber plates are sex!

9. Muligan

Muligan ARRR!

Vehicle(s):
    JR265 (base 920A)
    0   0   0
    Great pics - lots of detail.... thanks for sharing.

I can say from experience, that stitch welding is very labor intensive. Been doing a bunch of it lately on my '65 Mustang vintage racer.......

IMG_20170319_150604403_zpsbjbvwa4y.jpg

10. Tank

Tank 9/11 - Never Forget

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    G0853; 2015 Tacoma
    0   0   0
    #10 Tank, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Awesome stuff [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] :cheers:
    Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
    Amazing access and pics!

11. JT1

JT1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350
    0   0   0
    Is the HP reported anywhere?

12. dron_jones

dron_jones Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Me crazy, and I can't help myself
    Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
    0   0   0
    I had the good fortune of visiting their shop which is right down the road from my house about 8 weeks ago and saw the cars up on the lift..... So much want.....

I am having Dean and team do the install of my lowering springs, camber plates and a few other small items. Very excited to have such a professional performance shop close by to do the work on my car.

For anyone who has never talked to Dean before, couldn't be a nicer guy, never once did he make me feel unwelcome or too good to talk to me about the work on the car. It was a very refreshing experience compared to some of the other shops I have been to in the past.

saleen367, CVCashmere and jdilissio like this.
  13. Demonic

Demonic Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350R
    0   0   0
    Weren't the first GT350R-C's using the FPC's? I could have sworn I remember reading an article about the sound being what made them easily recognizable during the Continental championship. Awesome pics, thanks. And yeah, stitch welding was always done on the BMW race cars too. It was one of those signs of someone's car having gone off the deep end into being a race car.

14. FogcitySF

FogcitySF Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    BMW E90 M3 | GT350R
    0   0   0
    Really awesome thread. Keep the pics and info coming!

15. kart125

kart125 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Wow it's like having access to God's shop just before he created humanity!! Nice write up as always Epiphany! If those canards are ever available I'll take a set!

16. Zombo

Zombo befejezett

First Name:
    Geza
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
    0   0   0
    I think you are correct about the FPC in the previous race car. This is the GT4 which employs a CPC. However, from what I've researched, it uses a lot of Voodoo components, at least the block & heads. I imagine the forged Al. pistons and forged steel rods with fracture split caps, too, but that's just my speculation. Yes, seam welding surely adds to the stiffness and durability of the chassis.

Epiphany and Zitrosounds like this.
  17. Mike02z

Mike02z Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I guess I'm getting too old as I saw the thread title and thought of Dean Martin from the rat pack :)

JPJr, 4stanger, cozmo2312 and 5 others like this.
  18. Colleton

Colleton Mustang Fan

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350
    0   0   0
    Beautiful, thanks for posting the pics.

Epiphany likes this.
  19. Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Harold
    Vehicle(s):
    16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
    0   0   0
    The Continental sports car challenge car was a GT350R-C. So yes, it had a FPC and won the series for 16.

rfrum and Epiphany like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Epiphany

Epiphany Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Quick
    0   0   0
    #20 Epiphany, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Regarding the crankshaft confusion...I find it interesting how the very subject is being handled so delicately by Ford. When Ford Racing introduced the FP350S they went out of their way to not discuss which crankshaft was going to be used. I was at PRI in Indy last fall and had a lengthy discussion with Bruce Smith of Ford Racing about the car, including bringing up which crankshaft was going to be used. He was very quiet about it but made a hint that was easy to decipher as to which one would be used. It is as if everyone has been told to not step on the production GT350's toes and as such to never speak negatively about the fact that the rotating assembly in that engine may not be the most favorable from a pure racing perspective. Look at this recent page created to better detail the GT4 effort and click on the tabs at the top of the page...

https://www.gt4mustang.com/

It mistakenly asserts that the GT4 cars are using the production flat plane crank - it isn't. When marketing decisions trump those of engineering, this is what you get, confusion. It doesn't help the fan base and IMHO, it's a bit of a white lie. I wish Ford would be a bit more transparent about what the actual race cars are using and stop worrying about the subsequent questioning which they apparently believe could lead to some sort of fallout. Note to Ford - we all know the 5.2 as used in the road going GT350 is a vibration monster and wholeheartedly understand why it may not be the best combination for a true race car. OK?

I wanted to thank Dean and his crew for their hospitality. Dean is indeed a very down to earth guy. His demeanor is that of a friend you may have known for a long time. The day that I was there he was changing tires, handling typical team owner duties, shaking hands, and in general, being busy as shit. When the car went down he was under there with his crew getting dirty and fixing the car. How many other drivers of his caliber do you see doing that? And everyone he has working for him or with him is approachable as well. They all worked very hard and towards a common goal - winning. They can also bust chops with the best of them, a sure sign of a cohesive group.:)

Dean%20Martin%20Hood.jpg

Regarding the hood, it had some different iterations as well. Here's an earlier version with the louvered sections designed to allow them to be flush with the hood. The current version has flanged fiber louver sections that fit over the hood.

zz%20gt4%20at%20sema-1.jpg

Something many here can relate to - failed rear axle CV joints/boots. My own car suffered from a failed boot that spewed grease everwhere, was covered by warranty, and replaced with a new axle assembly. A new axle and CV joints all because of a failed boot. This extends over to the cars being raced as well because they are required to run the production axles. Here's a photo (not mine) that circulated earlier this year of a failed axle from Dean's GT4 car. I believe it was from Daytona.

Deans%20failed%20RH%20GT4%20axle%20from%20Daytona.jpg

So I immediately noticed the new factory axle sitting on a table and had a pretty good idea as to why.

xz%20IMG_4114.jpg

Dean actually took the time to talk to me about it in detail. He brought up a couple of important considerations. For one, the GT4 cars deviate from the factory ride height and as such the driveline angles may be generating a bit more heat. And clearances are reduced on the cars such that heat from nearby components (such as the exhaust) can wreak havoc on the joints and boots themselves. Nobody made an official statement but I'm under the impression that Ford Racing (or even Ford corporate for that matter) is helping much. And maybe they can't, I don't know. So for now the team has to get by making sure that the grease can handle temperatures seen on race day, that the boots don't melt, and that they can vent off any pressure buildup. Not the easiest task.

xz%20IMG_4121.jpg

While it isn't on the following list, it isn't as simple as switching to an aftermarket axle assembly from what I understand. Homologation dictates what can be used and the various sanctioning bodies know pretty much what is being used on the car. An example...

http://sportscarchallenge.imsa.com/...nlods/gs_component_declaration_2017_final.pdf

Something I didn't say much about, setup. There is a lot of time spent prepping the car for a given track, atmospheric conditions (etc), driver preference, tires - you name it. Experience is a huge help here but there are never any guarantees. I watched my good friend Tom Wenstrom quickly verify some settings prior to the car going back out to the track.

Measuring toe with toe plates...

xz%20IMG_4126.jpg

Measuring camber...

xz%20IMG_4123.jpg

The car was somewhere near 4* of negative camber when he checked it. Remember, changes can be relatively quick with the Multimatic camber plates used. Everything is scrutinized and the teams are regulated with respect to setup as well. For example, look at the following technical bulletin they had to live by regarding the right front tire at Watkins Glen.

http://sportscarchallenge.imsa.com/.../downlods/ictsc_tb_17-10_gs_camber_limits.pdf

In summation, the GT4 Mustang is a great effort from Multimatic and Kohr. Teams globally will no doubt benefit from their hard work on this one. I just hope Ford will offer as much support as possible. The Ford GT race program is a great one and it would be nice if Ford can spread the love around as much as possible. They sure are there watching...

xz%20IMG_4173.jpg

xz%20IMG_4174.jpg

Aerodrums, w3rkn, saleen367 and 14 others like this.