Sponsored

Dealing with insurance after a wreck

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Since your car is worth less than it was before the wreck, now that it has a carfax history, it’s value went down. The other insurer has to pay this difference or diminished value.

They will fight you on it but they will end up paying it. It is usually between 1-5k
Yeah. I was issued $430 diminished value. The repair was $14k. So now I have to research and all that BS to dispute. I super-hate that kind of stuff. I should tack on another grand for it cutting in on my XBox time.
Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Google dimished value. There are a couple of ways to determine the correct amount and the ins companies always want to use the "Georgia" method. But you usually get screwed using that method. USAA has work sheets available for you to determine what you think is a fair amount. DON"T just settle with the first offer.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
If they shop and insurance wont do that find another shop or legal route.

What the carrier will pay for is not up to the shop.

What does that mean? Diminished value?
Just call the state insurance department. They will likely tell what the insurance carrier owes .in the way of a wheel on a 17 car.

If the carrier did not offer to compensate you for diminished value, ask them why not.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Unless vehicle is over 5 years old NEW OEM only.
This varies by state. For example, In Massachusetts if your car is more than a few years old or over a certain mileage, you cannot insist on new OEM parts unless you have purchased a specific rider to the policy that allows that (and many companies won't offer the rider).

Since your car is worth less than it was before the wreck, now that it has a carfax history, it’s value went down. The other insurer has to pay this difference or diminished value.

They will fight you on it but they will end up paying it. It is usually between 1-5k
Same thing with a diminished value claim, it varies by state. In MA, you can only go after diminished value by suing the other driver in civil court. You cannot claim DV though insurance. That case went all the way to the state supreme court.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
First: insurance laws vary by state
B) never listen to insurance advice on the internet
3) diminished value is a thing, but you to ask, and then negotiate
iv) the insurance company does not need to use new parts, they need to make you whole, repair the car as it was before. And it wasn't a new car before. A properly reconditioned wheel would be fine. Worry about the big things.

Best of luck.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Just some liberal term
Don't worry about it
I got bumped in the bum as the front of a multi-car pileup, and pursued the at-fault insurance company for what's called "diminished value" (since my car now has a value that has been diminished because of the accident). If your car is new, that's significant. If it's old, it doesn't matter; a 15 year old car is worth what it's worth no matter what has happened to it. Insurance companies have tables for figuring what's owed to you based on a car's age and condition. If you don't ask for it, you won't get it in any case.

I got a nice $5k check from Erie insurance from my at-fault driver. I will have to remind the missus of that when I go to sell this one to get my next one.

libtrucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP, 1995 F-250 XL
It’s a 2017 GT Premium PP, asshole in a Nissan Altima came across 2 lanes from his right lane to my left lane and hit my passenger side, at 75+MPH. Pushed me on the shoulder and almost into the guardrail. Caught it all in my dash cam.
I took it to my choice of body shop, but the adjuster is being a dick and threatening the shop if they can’t agree to terms he will have my car towed elsewhere. The shop is going to bat for new parts, and did get new bumper, door, and fender, but he’s balking on the rim. And he refuses to talk to my husband, after I’ve given him his number because I was working and unavailable, he continued to call and text me.
We are in Florida and have Progressive insurance but the other driver has Geico. This is the first accident I’ve been in since 1999, and things have gotten worse since then. The body shop said Geico is one of the worse insurances to deal with, as far as claims go.
The insurance company cannot legally tow your car or tell you where to have your car fixed. If its at a shop that is willing to fight for you, fight it out. If they say they are moving the car, tell them no. The insurance companies are going to try to do it as cheaply as possible. But it is your right to fix the car at a shop of your choosing.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Bull shit
What year is your car?
Are you trying to debate if a refurbished OEM wheel is OEM or not?

I have a 2019 but that really doesn't matter.

OP either needs to use a shop that refuses refurbished parts and fights on their behalf or lives with it.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
It’s a 2017 GT Premium PP, asshole in a Nissan Altima came across 2 lanes from his right lane to my left lane and hit my passenger side, at 75+MPH. Pushed me on the shoulder and almost into the guardrail. Caught it all in my dash cam.
I took it to my choice of body shop, but the adjuster is being a dick and threatening the shop if they can’t agree to terms he will have my car towed elsewhere. The shop is going to bat for new parts, and did get new bumper, door, and fender, but he’s balking on the rim. And he refuses to talk to my husband, after I’ve given him his number because I was working and unavailable, he continued to call and text me.
We are in Florida and have Progressive insurance but the other driver has Geico. This is the first accident I’ve been in since 1999, and things have gotten worse since then. The body shop said Geico is one of the worse insurances to deal with, as far as claims go.
I am under the impression that FL has a strong consumer oriented State Insurance Department. Correct me if I am wrong. Might want to talk to them about the adjuster's activities re: the threat to move the car and pestering you instead of honoring your request to talk to your husband

OP
OP
1Pretzel

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic Mustang GT Premium