Sponsored

Dealing with haze or swirly scratches on the soft plastic of the rear GT panel...

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
IMO the key is to be mindful when you are washing
I wholeheartedly agree, Kristian. PPF will solve the problem but, like Ira, I'm not a fan, either. For me, a maintained ceramic coat and VERY careful washing, (like one gentle wipe side to side,) will keep the scratches at bay.
Sponsored

DansFLHTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The panel on my 2013 was worse...there was some kind of delaminating going on under the clear that caused a hazing effect..nothing could buff it out..looked like crap.At least my 2016 just has scatches which will attack when I buff the car in a few days. I just received my LED scratch/swirl enhancer light a few days ago.
20220117_092615.jpg
20220117_092700.jpg

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Yes, since 1985.

I guess the answer is they haven't been able to make piano black that doesn't scratch. But it looks so good they don't care.

Piano black is all over todays cars and trucks. It scratches too easily. Whether it be Mustangs,Range Rovers,BMW'S

A good detailer and proper ceramic coating will minimize the problem. But not eliminate it.
Okay very cool, you have the inside scoop and skillz. My guy said sorta the same thing, this Piano Black is the rage but very hard to deal with polishing wise. Like I mentioned I guess I'll have him redo it, though he used Expel Fusion on it.
I am using Mothers waterless car wash and new but washed microfibers on it as it's too freakling cold to hand wash here right now. Brrrrr.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Okay very cool, you have the inside scoop and skillz. My guy said sorta the same thing, this Piano Black is the rage but very hard to deal with polishing wise. Like I mentioned I guess I'll have him redo it, though he used Expel Fusion on it.
I am using Mothers waterless car wash and new but washed microfibers on it as it's too freakling cold to hand wash here right now. Brrrrr.
Waterless car wash is where your issues are coming from IMO.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Try a light polish (Sonax Perfect Finish) with a finishing/light foam pad (using a buffer such as Griotts Garage G9). See if that gets you the results you need. Then IPA wipedown. Then ceramic coat it. Then never touch it again. Ceramic coatings will help reduce scratching but only so much if you use improper washing techniques (not saying you do, but the margin or error is very low with the soft gloss black). Like others suggested, use a leaf blower to dry the car for maintenance washes after the car has been coated.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I simply wash it and let it dry then spray with pledge in the blue can and wipe off with a waffle towel. It helps keep the dust off etc.

Jpol908

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Ragtop
I ordered a new Ford Performance panel without the emblem, had it wrapped with XPel Self Healing PPF, then added the emblem...any scratches, which are minimal with the PPF, disappear as soon as the sun or any heat hits the panel. This has worked like a charm!!!

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I agree and I ceramic coated mine. So far, so good. I never use the rinse-less wash on the panel and I only blow dry it lol

I wholeheartedly agree, Kristian. PPF will solve the problem but, like Ira, I'm not a fan, either. For me, a maintained ceramic coat and VERY careful washing, (like one gentle wipe side to side,) will keep the scratches at bay.
Sponsored