Sponsored

Dealing with haze or swirly scratches on the soft plastic of the rear GT panel...

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
The material of our rear panel with the GT emblem (or non GT) is some type of very soft plastic? I keep looking at it and see hazy spots, swirls even straight line light scratches in it. I had it treated with my ceramic coating but even the details guys said the material is so soft it's hard to keep swirls or haze from happening again. I've used some fine plastic scratch remover (a liquid super fine compounding product) for Audio equipment or detail spray but still see scratches.
Wondering why Ford uses a material that is so fragile. Anyone have any luck with other detailing products or methods?
Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I try to never touch it. When I wash I swipe in one direction from one side to another. Use a battery powered leaf blower to dry. Apply lots of wax. Another option is to have it wrapped.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I try to never touch it. When I wash I swipe in one direction from one side to another. Use a battery powered leaf blower to dry. Apply lots of wax. Another option is to have it wrapped.
I actually only use air now that I got my Air Cannon.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Wrapped is the only way. I plan on covering mine with PPF either Stek Dyno Black or Xpel Ultimate Plus Black. Need to decide what to do about the chrome GT emblem... might just paint it gloss black as aftermarket emblems are costly.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
They can be polished just like your paint job.

Takes a pro with a high speed polisher.

Then Ceramic coat it. Reduces scratches by 90%.

For those it doesn't protect it from, it can always be done again.

I have been doing this for many years. No big deal.

I am not a big fan of PPF

20211226_222319.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
They can be polished just like your paint job.

Takes a pro with a high speed polisher.

Then Ceramic coat it. Reduces scratches by 90%.

For those it doesn't protect it from, it can always be done again.

I have been doing this for many years. No big deal.

I am not a big fan of PPF

20211226_222319.jpg
Okay... what is it you've been doing for years, pro detailing? I had the guy who did my paint correction and ceramic coating clean it up just recently. I was wiping it down from some brief rides I took and noticed the old/new marks. I'm having them do some more work in a few weeks so I can ask him to hit it again. I'm just on my soap box asking why don't they use something that can handle it?

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Okay... what is it you've been doing for years, pro detailing? I had the guy who did my paint correction and ceramic coating clean it up just recently. I was wiping it down from some brief rides I took and noticed the old/new marks. I'm having them do some more work in a few weeks so I can ask him to hit it again. I'm just on my soap box asking why don't they use something that can handle it?
Yes, since 1985.

I guess the answer is they haven't been able to make piano black that doesn't scratch. But it looks so good they don't care.

Piano black is all over todays cars and trucks. It scratches too easily. Whether it be Mustangs,Range Rovers,BMW'S

A good detailer and proper ceramic coating will minimize the problem. But not eliminate it.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
The plastic is really soft. I do the same thing and just hit it with my porter-cable and a swirl remover. Looks like new. Air dry it after washing.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

There lies the problem, don't dry wipe it, wait to wash. News flash that is grit, not some fluffy dust.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The material of our rear panel with the GT emblem (or non GT) is some type of very soft plastic? I keep looking at it and see hazy spots, swirls even straight line light scratches in it. I had it treated with my ceramic coating but even the details guys said the material is so soft it's hard to keep swirls or haze from happening again. I've used some fine plastic scratch remover (a liquid super fine compounding product) for Audio equipment or detail spray but still see scratches.
Wondering why Ford uses a material that is so fragile. Anyone have any luck with other detailing products or methods?
The 2018+ decklid panel is more susceptible to marring than the prior 2015-17 panels.

Here's a DIY thread I put together a while ago for how to remove rear decklid panel scratches or blems:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-lid-appliqué-scratch-repair-diy.122441/#post-2641817

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Car is 2 months away from being 3 years old. Ceramic coated and many many coats of ceramic detail spray.

IMG_3282B.jpg
Aw man I could scratch that up for you no problem. It's easy! Anyone can do it 😜

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm going to give mine a going over with a small rotary polisher (soft pad, finishing polish) when the weather improves. IMO the key is to be mindful when you are washing - make it one of the first panels you pass when you do your contact wash, same if you're drying with a towel, being gentle is key too.

Has anyone actually had theirs sanded and painted? If I could afford it, that's likely the route I'd take, but I'd like to have seen it done first.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone actually had theirs sanded and painted? If I could afford it, that's likely the route I'd take, but I'd like to have seen it done first.
I have a new OE Ford 17-17 blank panel that I am contemplating having cleared prior to fitment - I'm thinking that should be as good as having normal paintwork on it and allow some thickness for future buffing / polishing (if required) :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored