Dealerships really ramping up the BS

2camsam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang , 1983 Mustang , 2004 mach 1 , 1992 Vanilla ice edition GT
The dealers around Knoxville just tell you they are 6 months out. They don't want to work on anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MadRabbit

MadRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
For those asking it was
Parsons Interstate Ford LLC
In Shippensburg, PA.

Thanks for the input guys and be careful out there, everyone trying to take a bite out of our wallets.

OP
OP
MadRabbit

MadRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
I had a similar situation a couple years ago on a Corvette. I was doing an Low mileage recall, and they came up with a laundry list of six or seven things just like you. I politely said no, but instead of leaving, I went around the corner to the general managers office and introduced myself. I am a former GM of three dealerships and introduced my
self, the general manager was very nice to sit down with me and discuss my experience. I started out with “you should be ashamed of yourself”..… he was somewhat positive and slightly aghast that it happened, which I certainly don’t believe. But maybe it’ll cause them to change their procedure/protocol and cut this back a bit… Needless to say it was the last time I was in that dealership.

and they are not all that way, another dealership down the road did another recall for me on my second Vette a year later, and did exactly just the recall, and suggested nothing. Overall a very pleasant experience.
Yeah our local Chevy dealer is a class act, I normally go to them as they work on anything and have never tried to pull any shady stuff, but being this was a recall I couldn't really go to them.

For anything I can't handle, I will continue to go to them, until they give me reason not to, of course.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Went in today to get the recall done on my Mustang, the service manager comes out 20 minutes later with this laundry list of "recommended" items to be addressed, what a clown show it was. I had my car there 4 months ago for an oil change, rear shocks replaced (required to pass inspection), yearly inspection.

Hits me with all this...

Says my tires are showing wear and recommends one be replaced (just put brand new winter tires on 500 miles ago back in October)

Says need a new battery, says it should be reading 15 volts, but mine is only reading 14.7.... it's 12 degrees out.

Says I need an oil change, claims my oil is discolored (700 miles since last oil change, that they just did in October...)

Says I need an alignment, it's off by just a bit (um hello, snow tires, I'm not having them aligned for a few months a year of minimal driving)

Says my coolant is a bit low and needs topped off.

Says my fuel system needs flushed.

Says my breaks are worn but within spec, needs replaced.

So I tell him no and pick up my car and leave (after the recall work was done obviously) and I go home and pull in the garage and go to pop the hood, funny thing though, I have hood struts so you can't just drop the hood and have it close, you have to grab the front of the hood and pull it down, now with the weather we have been having (snow, salt etc) if you touch the car most anywhere, you leave prints, but, no prints anywhere.

So the tech never even opened the hood to even know if anything needed done or not.
Also keep in mind they claimed to have checked and found all that in the 20 minutes they had the car this morning, ya ok buddy.

So I check everything and not one thing on the list needed done, not a single one (ok MAYBE the alignment if we are being picky lol) but WOW talk about swinging for the fence here, they wanted to do all that at 165.00 an hour.

Needless to say, never going back.

For those asking it was
Parsons Interstate Ford LLC
In Shippensburg PA
It is a 12 volt battery. The alternator output should be 14.7 ish, but a fully charged battery Won't ever test at 15 volts.

Dealership Service centers are the bottom of the barrel. Find a good independent shop that you can comfortably discuss your expectations with the service advisor, and shop foreman/lead technician.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
EXACTLY
WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, you are reading the alternator
WITH THE ENGINE OFF, you are reading the battery
Lol yeah a 12 volt battery should be 15......... :)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wut???

There's no way your shocks needed replacing. They lied. Don't have a dealership do your yearly inspection.

And for everyone that's reading this. Get one thing straight, for the 100th time;

The voltage reading on the dash is what THE ALTERNATOR IS PUTTING OUT.

It's NOT what charge the battery has.

So the higher the number, the harder the alternator is working to keep the battery charged. That MAY mean you need a new battery. OR it may mean you need to drive your car more and longer.
Minor correction, the BMS system actually reduces charging voltage as the battery ages. If you're seeing 15v of charging that means the battery is still relatively new and in good health (and probably agm). 14.7 is the normal peak. After 3 or 4 years you can start to see it decrease.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I would think by now it would be common knowledge, a quick google search will show what the acceptable range is for most cars. Approx 13.5-14.5 while car is running, this voltage varies per the regulator. All you need to check is if you are within range.

Regarding the stealership, I am always expecting them to tell me "I need something." Then I just laugh and say I am good I don't need all that.

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I would think by now it would be common knowledge, a quick google search will show what the acceptable range is for most cars. Approx 13.5-14.5 while car is running, this voltage varies per the regulator. All you need to check is if you are within range.

Regarding the stealership, I am always expecting them to tell me "I need something." Then I just laugh and say I am good I don't need all that.
You are much nicer than me when they tell you that you need something. :)
My go to line is that I at want dinner first and maybe my hair pulled if I'm going to get screwed like that.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Both Ford dealerships that I deal with don’t push anything extra. No 15k mile this or 30k mile that. Same for the GMC dealership we take my wife’s SUV to. They know that I know what I’m talking about, but I’ve also never seen them push anything on anybody unless there’s a legit safety concern when they do their inspection. I did overhear my Ford dealer talking to a lady about her pads and rotors, they brought into the shop where I presume they showed her what they found, brought her back by the desk area and explained her options. Very professional, I was impressed.

That said, we had a Mitsubishi about 10 years ago and that dealer was awful. My wife called me in tears once because she went in for an oil change (her second one, about 10k miles), and they told her we needed $3k worth of services and wouldn’t let her leave as they said it was safety related. I was at work so she put me on the phone with them. I was getting some looks from co-workers I was so irate. I told them to do the oil change only, let my wife go home and I’ll be there the next day to talk to the service manager and GM. We talked, they gave me some bullshit excuses, I cursed them out for treating my wife the way they did and said you’ll never see us again. Went and traded the car in the very next day for a GM product. We hated the Mitsu anyways but eff those guys.

Sorry for the long rant, but short story long, there are good ones and there are pieces of shit. I’ve experienced both.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Both Ford dealerships that I deal with don’t push anything extra. No 15k mile this or 30k mile that. Same for the GMC dealership we take my wife’s SUV to. They know that I know what I’m talking about, but I’ve also never seen them push anything on anybody unless there’s a legit safety concern when they do their inspection. I did overhear my Ford dealer talking to a lady about her pads and rotors, they brought into the shop where I presume they showed her what they found, brought her back by the desk area and explained her options. Very professional, I was impressed.

That said, we had a Mitsubishi about 10 years ago and that dealer was awful. My wife called me in tears once because she went in for an oil change (her second one, about 10k miles), and they told her we needed $3k worth of services and wouldn’t let her leave as they said it was safety related. I was at work so she put me on the phone with them. I was getting some looks from co-workers I was so irate. I told them to do the oil change only, let my wife go home and I’ll be there the next day to talk to the service manager and GM. We talked, they gave me some bullshit excuses, I cursed them out for treating my wife the way they did and said you’ll never see us again. Went and traded the car in the very next day for a GM product. We hated the Mitsu anyways but eff those guys.

Sorry for the long rant, but short story long, there are good ones and there are pieces of shit. I’ve experienced both.
I think we have probably all experienced shops trying to take advantage of our wives and daughters. Both of mine have called me on more than one occasion asking if they should have suggested work done.
It's one thing when something is truly "while you're there" but to add on bs services and try to frighten and intimidate someone to get them to agree is unforgivable.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I think we have probably all experienced shops trying to take advantage of our wives and daughters. Both of mine have called me on more than one occasion asking if they should have suggested work done.
It's one thing when something is truly "while you're there" but to add on bs services and try to frighten and intimidate someone to get them to agree is unforgivable.
Yeah there’s a special place in hell for those types. I’ve seen it happen to younger guys too but it’s usually women they try to take advantage of. I have zero tolerance for those folks.

glene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt
I never have understood why some dealers think pressuring a person to buy extra services works out in the long run. As I said above, I was a general manager of a BMWAudi dealership in Pittsburgh, and then a regional manager for BMWNA for 20 years. When I met with my service advisors at the dealership I constantly instructed them to go ahead and give the customer a status report on the various systems on the car, but never pressure them for extra services. Because even with the most ignorant or inexperienced customer, they are going to go home, just like written above ,and ask somebody that does know cars and feel incensed when they find out it was a scam to push more product. And that ruins your name in the marketplace.

The other thing that I did was to make sure that I was paying my service advisors 10 to 20% more than the going rate and never incentivize them to sell extra products/services but to do the right thing and just give the status report. That really solved the problem.
Sponsored

Last edited: