Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ouch!!!

Via The Drive

Dealer Wrecks Customer's Supercharged Ford Mustang GT During Rowdy Test Drive

No way that’s going to buff out.

FFEBRUARY 13, 2020

-Supercharger-Dealer-Mustang-Crash.jpg%3Fquality%3D85?w=1920&auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.4.jpg

Colorado dealership Loveland Ford dealer is under fire on social media after one of its mechanics wrecked a man's brand new Ford Mustang following a supercharger installation.

According to the dealership's general manager, Harry Johnston, longtime customer Mark Grage had purchased a Ford Super Duty from the dealer once before and eventually returned to make his latest purchase: a sixth-generation Mustang. Like most car enthusiasts, Grage craved more power so he reached out to Loveland Ford with only 266 miles on his pony car to have them install a supercharger.

Many people who have the shared passion of cars tend to seek this sort of service from well-known aftermarket shops. However, Ford is one of the few automakers who offer a warranty when installing a Ford Performance Roush supercharger through a dealership. Johnston confirmed that the car came in "somewhere around the 10th or 15th of January" for a "factory" supercharger installation.

Grage's viral Facebook post says that's when everything went wrong.

-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1581589457484-post.png?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.4.jpg

A Feb. 10 Facebook post outlines Grage's timeline of events. According to Grage, a "mechanics [sic] apprentice and his friend took the car out to see what it would do,” something which ultimately resulted in the car being deemed a total loss. Furthermore, he slammed the dealership for being unprofessional. The photos tell the rest of the story, showing the great deal of front-end carnage that ensued.

The dealership gave The Drive a slightly different explanation.

According to Johnston, the general manager, all cars that undergo a factory-supplied supercharger installation are required to undergo a routine test drive to ensure that there are no issues following the procedure. A full-time technician reportedly left the shop with the vehicle and ultimately lost control on U.S. 287 in Larimer County, resulting in a crash. Johnston tells us that the technician was cited for careless driving by police and no longer works for the dealership.

Moreover, Johnston told The Drive that the dealership immediately took responsibility for the accident and worked with their insurance to pay off the customer's car over the next month.

"We made the customer whole, paid off his loan, and all incidental expenses that would have had anything to do with that car and the fact that it was wrecked," said Johnston. "He actually walked out of the store with plus money as opposed to what he [had invested in] the car, and he bought another new car from us."

Johnston says that Grage left the dealer with a Shelby-fettled 2016 Ford Mustang that it had just received on trade-in.

He went on to note that dealing with the red tape of insurance made the process take longer than originally anticipated, and because the vehicle was in Grage's name, the dealership was unable to pay off the car with Ford Credit until working out the details with Grage. Ultimately, Johnston says that Grage was made fully whole over the weekend, a few days before the initial Facebook post.

While Grage didn't respond to The Drive's request for comment, he did update his initial Facebook post on the evening of Feb. 12 to reflect additional information.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.15.29 AM.png

"Stuff happens, you know?" said Johnston. "Unfortunately it's stupid as hell that the kid was test driving that vehicle in obviously the wrong fashion."

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.21.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.21.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.21.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.21.55 AM.png
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
That really sucks! But at least they made it right in the end.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Coparts will auction that car or at least part it out. Scary..that ride looks just like mine..lol

The before picture , that is.. glad he got another ride but I can understand him being pissed!
C2537569-B016-4562-A903-E331779D3AE3.jpeg

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Forest Bump once remarked " S--t happens. Dealership did what they could to make it right. I'm sure it embarrassed them. Kid got a ticket and lost his job, maybe even bodily injury. There was no malice or ill intent

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
The bump on the nose looks awfully pole-shaped. Hope the driver is ok. Looks like the front end did admirably what it was designed to do as its final job.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
set of MR shocks and controller, some PP2 wheels, big brake kit, About 5 grand in residual.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Coparts will auction that car or at least part it out. Scary..that ride looks just like mine..lol

The before picture , that is.. glad he got another ride but I can understand him being pissed!
C2537569-B016-4562-A903-E331779D3AE3.jpeg
Nice looking PP2.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Nobody said he got a free car out of it but the dealer did make it right. The customer is just being a typical ass about the whole thing. Sh_t does happen and the dealer made all the right moves. I've actually had this happen to me, not as bad, but similar and my dealer made it right by me and I continued to do business with them because of it.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Attention whore

ClayAce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
That sucks...hopefully nobody got physically hurt..

2017Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
The dealer may have made it right and I'm very happy they did (which is what they should have done); but lets be honest here. That car is pretty mangled (with the airbags going off too). There is a difference between doing the required test driving to get the car to where it needs to be, and driving it like an idiot. The test driver is a f*%king moron and was going way to fast, biting it hard to cause damage like that.

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
I live about 25 miles from this dealership. I've never dealt with them personally as the dealership I use is a town over.
I'm glad they stepped up to make it right.

It's funny considering we've had 12+ inches of snow here over the course of 8-9 days, so I already know what happened.. A test drive turned into a joy ride matched with par freezing Temps and slick roads..

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
How did they keep the strut tower bar? It didn’t fit anymore after I had the blower installed. Looks pretty tight.
Sponsored