Dealer Trying to Renig on X-Plan

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
It's total bs that we as the customer have to go through crap like this. And the whole dealership model is supposed to be designed so that car companies don't take advantage of us??? It should be law that all financials be transparent, in writing and finalized before ordering. And forms should not have optional areas to just mark up prices on a whim. I agree with the other poster about Tesla changing the industry.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
*UPDATE*

Went back into day to pickup my car and discuss previous XPLAN agreement. Right away the salesman brought out paperwork and tried to pull that whole $5,000 dealer markup ON TOP OF MSRP. I told him no matter what I wasn't paying more than XPLAN as discussed 4 months ago. I told him that I talked to Ford Corporate(Which I did yesterday) and that they said they can't pull this crap after a car has been special ordered for you. He then told me "I could sell this car right now for $45K to anyone else." I said "You probably could, but not too me. We had an implied contract." He went on to say "I don't specifically recall talking to you about XPLAN when you ordered." After going back and forth for about 5 mins, I demanded to talk to the GM and after an hour of discussion, Marketing MGR came out and apologized profusely and told me "We don't do business like this." "We are going to make it right and honor the XPLAN as discussed 4 months ago AND we will give you an additional $500 rebate!"

Bottom Line, I held my ground, got what I wanted and walked away smiling! The beast in in my garage!:clap2:
Congratulations!!

Wonder if the salesman was trying to do this crap on his own based on the Marketing Manager/GM response above?

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Congratulations!!

Wonder if the salesman was trying to do this crap on his own based on the Marketing Manager/GM response above?
Hes just the fall guy. It is usually the guy in the tower eyeing you from across the room.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Hes just the fall guy. It is usually the guy in the tower eyeing you from across the room.
Yep, sounds like this dealership does this a lot. Classic bait & switch, and if customer calls them on their shit the manager sweeps in to "save the day" and apologize profusely for their salesman's actions. Probably a shitty place to work for those salespeople. If I was OP I'd still give them a terrible review and tell everyone who will listen what their tactics are. I have zero patience for dealerships/businesses like that, and I believe 100% in naming & shaming them.

Blackdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Wow, Akfinfan. Reading your thread. Glad this worked out for you. Those tactics are pretty sleazy for sure. Enjoy your car man.

Blackdog

Sponsored

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I wish a dealership would pull a bait and switch on me when I plan to buy. I would laugh in their face and walk out. Glad it worked for you. Honestly, I would have walked out and got my money back via credit card dispute. I would rather not give a dealership business if they deliberately tried to screw me over. Also, having a mindset of not being too attached to the car until it is yours. I have that mindset and walking out and keeping my money in the bank is not a bad thing anyways.

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
2015 Mustangs are still getting marked up? That's strange, it has been out for a while already. It's not a limited edition or something. I've seen people here pay up to $5000-6000 less than MSRP (if the car is fully loaded).

The dealers local to me are offering below Xplan, and I didn't even step foot in their office yet (I only contacted them via Truecar). I would use the Truecar pricing as a initial negotiation point, and go lower.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Glad that worked out. Credit card dispute likely would not have worked due to the time elapsed since the charge, most card companies only allow 90 or 120 days. So small claims would have been the only option.

RipShift2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
*UPDATE*

Went back into day to pickup my car and discuss previous XPLAN agreement. Right away the salesman brought out paperwork and tried to pull that whole $5,000 dealer markup ON TOP OF MSRP. I told him no matter what I wasn't paying more than XPLAN as discussed 4 months ago. I told him that I talked to Ford Corporate(Which I did yesterday) and that they said they can't pull this crap after a car has been special ordered for you. He then told me "I could sell this car right now for $45K to anyone else." I said "You probably could, but not too me. We had an implied contract." He went on to say "I don't specifically recall talking to you about XPLAN when you ordered." After going back and forth for about 5 mins, I demanded to talk to the GM and after an hour of discussion, Marketing MGR came out and apologized profusely and told me "We don't do business like this." "We are going to make it right and honor the XPLAN as discussed 4 months ago AND we will give you an additional $500 rebate!"

Bottom Line, I held my ground, got what I wanted and walked away smiling! The beast in in my garage!:clap2:
Grats! Good to see the guys did you right. Car sales is a shady business.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Someone should be fired over this, or at least get some time off. No wonder nobody (at least around me) likes Ford dealers. I hear stuff like this all the time..

Sponsored
OP
OP
akfinfan

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Perf Pack, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Someone should be fired over this, or at least get some time off. No wonder nobody (at least around me) likes Ford dealers. I hear stuff like this all the time..
I had a bad experience with this dealership 14 years ago and haven't done business since until this past couple months. In Alaska there are not many options for ford dealerships so I was kind of stuck, but when they agreed to XPLAN in December I was all in.....I guess I should have expected them to try to pull some crap on me.....good thing they made it right.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Yeah sadly there is always one rogue DBag sales manager that will try to ruin ones buying experience. We encountered one when we bought ours and ended up going home empty handed at first. The dealerships general manager had to step in and make it all right. And the DBag sales manager got a day off & to stay home the next day when we picked up our GT.

Must_have_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
new mustang gt
^^it is common practice for bad guy good guy roles at the dealerships. Sales manager tries his best to get a higher price, if he fails then good guy general manager will so call make it right.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
^^Nah...that shit might work on the uninformed and / or financially challenged. Nice assumption though.

After 10 vehicles from the same dealership since 2001, that good manager-bad manager tactic is a wrong way to piss off a loyal customer.
Sponsored