Dealer says Low Compression Cylinder 8

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sorry dude. That sucks. Bright side, you’ll be 100% going forward.
Is it better/cheaper to buy a Ford performance Aluminator Coyote from for instance CJ’s and have it shipped to the dealer or a service replacement engine?
I started looking at those but I wasn't sure what would smog and what wouldn't. I live in CA so using a different engine or even a 2018 and things like that I was completely unsure of. I've never had to replace an engine before lol.

That's crazy. I'm going for a new long block myself, not the entire engine.
Let me know what that costs, I may have to ask this second mechanic why it requires the engine replacement instead of just a long block. He did try to source a used engine but seen the same prices that I seen (about 8k+) and that it was cheaper to just get the new engine from ford. I took it to him as a second opinion and he said the same thing the first mechanic told me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
moses19

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
I started looking at those but I wasn't sure what would smog and what wouldn't. I live in CA so using a different engine or even a 2018 and things like that I was completely unsure of. I've never had to replace an engine before lol.

Let me know what that costs, I may have to ask this second mechanic why it requires the engine replacement instead of just a long block. He did try to source a used engine but seen the same prices that I seen (about 8k+) and that it was cheaper to just get the new engine from ford. I took it to him as a second opinion and he said the same thing the first mechanic told me.
The Ford dealer quoted my around $8300 for parts and labor, and that's with the advisor helping me a bit. The car should be done in a few days or so, so I don't actually have a sheet breaking down all the costs, just the final cost.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

You might want to call Ford performance and ask them. It might be worth it price wise especially if you get a forum discount from one of the vendors here.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The Ford dealer quoted my around $8300 for parts and labor, and that's with the advisor helping me a bit. The car should be done in a few days or so, so I don't actually have a sheet breaking down all the costs, just the final cost.

Ok thats pretty close to what i'm paying, I was quoted $9600 and I didn't even think of taking my car to the dealership lol. Too many bad experiences. I bought a mustang brand new in 05 and took it to the dealer for warranty work, they said based on the tire tread and what they seen in the computer the car was abused and my warranty was void. I have never gone back to a dealership since then, well...... except when I replaced the clutch in this car and it needed the crank relearn.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You might want to call Ford performance and ask them. It might be worth it price wise especially if you get a forum discount from one of the vendors here.

I will give them a call since my mechanic hasn't even picked up my engine yet lol. Could be worth checking out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
moses19

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
Ok thats pretty close to what i'm paying, I was quoted $9600 and I didn't even think of taking my car to the dealership lol. Too many bad experiences. I bought a mustang brand new in 05 and took it to the dealer for warranty work, they said based on the tire tread and what they seen in the computer the car was abused and my warranty was void. I have never gone back to a dealership since then, well...... except when I replaced the clutch in this car and it needed the crank relearn.
I thought about going to an independent shop myself, but the factory ford warranty I'll get for the block is worth it in my opinion. The advisor said anything goes wrong with the engine it's covered. But I've had some negative dealer experiences too so I can see where you're coming from lol

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I thought about going to an independent shop myself, but the factory ford warranty I'll get for the block is worth it in my opinion. The advisor said anything goes wrong with the engine it's covered. But I've had some negative dealer experiences too so I can see where you're coming from lol

The shop I have it at now was also telling me about the warranty but i'm sure thats void as soon as the mods go right back on lol. He agreed to swap my parts over, for engine mods I have JLT intake, 18' manifold, 47# injectors, VMP E85 tune, steeda H pipe, aero axleback. As he is putting in the engine he is going to install texas speed headers with cat delete and a roush axleback to replace those no name aero mufflers. I'm worried It will be way too loud based off videos and reviews but I'll install the magnaflow tru-x resonator as a backup and see what it sounds like after that.

OP
OP
moses19

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
The shop I have it at now was also telling me about the warranty but i'm sure thats void as soon as the mods go right back on lol. He agreed to swap my parts over, for engine mods I have JLT intake, 18' manifold, 47# injectors, VMP E85 tune, steeda H pipe, aero axleback. As he is putting in the engine he is going to install texas speed headers with cat delete and a roush axleback to replace those no name aero mufflers. I'm worried It will be way too loud based off videos and reviews but I'll install the magnaflow tru-x resonator as a backup and see what it sounds like after that.
Ah I see, that makes sense for you then. In my case the power pack 2 shouldn't void my warranty since it will be "dealer installed"

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Just reading this post after diagnosis of a knock on my 2018 GT. Pretty sure it's a rod issue on #6. Had a bent electrode on that cylinder plug last fall and the compression is way down on that cylinder 50psi. All others are 180-220 psi. I was looking at a long block from CJ Pony Parts around $7k. Then I read here members might be able to catch a break on the price from a vendor? That would help me out towards getting back on the road by May. I plan to build up the original engine next winter to have as a spare for my car or 2019 F150. Gonna pull it out the top with the hood removed. Should be a good time 😄

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Just reading this post after diagnosis of a knock on my 2018 GT. Pretty sure it's a rod issue on #6. Had a bent electrode on that cylinder plug last fall and the compression is way down on that cylinder 50psi. All others are 180-220 psi. I was looking at a long block from CJ Pony Parts around $7k. Then I read here members might be able to catch a break on the price from a vendor? That would help me out towards getting back on the road by May. I plan to build up the original engine next winter to have as a spare for my car or 2019 F150. Gonna pull it out the top with the hood removed. Should be a good time 😄
Smoked ringland cylinder 6. I'll bet money on it.
Sponsored