Dealer says Low Compression Cylinder 8

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You're right. But I think it's safe to say that the relative compression test show there's something wrong there? They also switched around the plugs and the issue stayed at 8.

Definitely asking for a leak down test tomorrow. Do you know what the possible outcomes of that can be?
Yes, relative compression/power balance is a very accurate test, and coupled with the persistent misfire you definitely have a problem there. But a leak down test and a borescope camera are two non invasive (nothing needs disassembled) ways to find out if it's the bottom end or the heads. If the heads are okay they can be re-used to save money.
Sponsored

OP
OP
moses19

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Yes, relative compression/power balance is a very accurate test, and coupled with the persistent misfire you definitely have a problem there. But a leak down test and a borescope camera are two non invasive (nothing needs disassembled) ways to find out if it's the bottom end or the heads. If the heads are okay they can be re-used to save money.
Thanks man, I'll do that tomorrow and post updates when I get them!

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
Hmmm you think they would help with anything? Not sure it was because of their tune. Never had any problems and always used 93 octane.
I think itā€™s worth try.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
He can also call The Ford 800# and ask a Regional CSR if they too would be able to help with the cost of repairs.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-ford-800-info-for-those-needing-it.111571/

if it were me - I'd go directly for the long block. I know it's costly, but if you're going to keep the car long term, it's better getting the entire assembly, rather than putting a band-aid on it and hoping nothing else comes up later down the road.

How far out of the warranty are you?

Powertrain is 5 years or 60k miles. If you're not that far beyond, Ford may offer some assistance.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Hey guys looking for some advice here. Yesterday car threw a Cylinder 8 Misfire and Misfire on Startup code. Took the car into the dealer and they said cylinder 8 has low compression(see pictures). I was hoping that at worst it would be the Intake Manifold issue thats pretty common, but it doesnt seem to be.

They gave me 2 options. Order a longblock and be done with it or do a teardown and see what potentially might be wrong. Car has the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 and exhaust, that is it. Only symptoms were a slight rumble at idle and a weird start up. Also, I am out of warranty so unfortunately im going to have to eat the cost. Any advice? Any specific questions I should ask them? What would you guys do? Thanks.
IMG_20210505_162823.jpeg
IMG_20210505_162828.jpeg
how much did this test run you out of curiosity?

Sponsored

OP
OP
moses19

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
He can also call The Ford 800# and ask a Regional CSR if they too would be able to help with the cost of repairs.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-ford-800-info-for-those-needing-it.111571/

if it were me - I'd go directly for the long block. I know it's costly, but if you're going to keep the car long term, it's better getting the entire assembly, rather than putting a band-aid on it and hoping nothing else comes up later down the road.

How far out of the warranty are you?

Powertrain is 5 years or 60k miles. If you're not that far beyond, Ford may offer some assistance.
I'll try calling a Ford CSR rep. Yeah I decided to go long block because I would not have the peace of mind ever again if my engine were torn down.

It's a 2015 so by about a year. And I'm at 55k miles.

OP
OP
moses19

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
Sell that thing to a E-car company and buy a new one. That would be the most cost effective option if the car still runs and drives well.
Seriously considered this, but it's noticeable when you drive so I think they'd offer me less for it. That along with car prices right now would put me in a similar position financially if I were simply to try to sell and get into another Mustang.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
$165, an hours labor, but they waived it when they gave me the bad news lol
Ah well uh I suppose thatā€™s a win.... sorta šŸ˜…šŸ˜”

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
If really just depends on what they offer and the cost of a new engine. If itā€™s 5k(no) itā€™s a toss up. Anything over that and you could trade up pretty easy. At 10k dunk it and get a new one.

Its a tough spot either way though. Best of luck with it.
You could always get an FP crate coyote at a forum discount and have the dealer install it. Or, thereā€™s always good engines from a failed car show vs. GT episode to be had.

Sponsored

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a 17 with 45k and im also replacing the long block. I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and leakdown test. Theyā€™re installing the new engine as we speak :crying: its about $9,600 for a new engine installed. I couldnā€™t find used engines for less than $8,500 and those had 60k miles on them.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 17 with 45k and im also replacing the long block. I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and leakdown test. Theyā€™re installing the new engine as we speak :crying: its about $9,600 for a new engine installed. I couldnā€™t find used engines for less than $8,500 and those had 60k miles on them.
What caused your block to fail?

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What caused your block to fail?
Low oil and high RPMs lol, I had my car die after a race when I put the clutch in. It still started up and got me home but it immediately threw a code for over advanced camshaft position. The leak down test showed the bottom end was bad. So it is currently getting a new engine and Roush axle-back. The previous owner had some no name exhaust "aero turbine" mufflers. I thought it may have been the tune but it was low oil, my car was apparently burning it very quickly and I didn't catch it in time.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry dude. That sucks. Bright side, youā€™ll be 100% going forward.
Is it better/cheaper to buy a Ford performance Aluminator Coyote from for instance CJā€™s and have it shipped to the dealer or a service replacement engine?

OP
OP
moses19

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
That's crazy. I'm going for a new long block myself, not the entire engine.
Sponsored