Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on the full opposite end of the spectrum on this stuff. As a DD my car is never going to be pristine so I don't even bother. I wash it once a week and do nothing special to it otherwise, if I start to care about the paint like that I'll go crazy. I have big paint chips already after only 7k miles and its best for me to just not get too strung out over it. I bought it to have fun driving not spend every second worrying about the paint. As far as I'm concerned if it looks good from 20 feet away I'm happy.
Ah, a 20 footer :D

I just watched a new episode of Fantonworks and they were talking about a guys Ferrari GTO kit car and that after the last shop had screwed up the paint it was a 200 footer, lol. When the car mechanicals were fixed and a new paint job was done, the car was now said to be a 5 footer, lol.

TC
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I had my car towed directly from the dealer to the detailer, where correction was carried out before OptiCoat Pro+, Suntek PPF and a few other things were applied.

I specifically asked the detailer how he would like the car prepared for him - he said to just ask the dealer to do the standard PD wash with absolutely no polishing so I went with that. He sorted it from there.

Eighteen months on and the car is still immaculate - here it is leaving the dealer immediately following delivery bound for the detailer.
b8f74e850e523d080bd79ef5e090aeed.jpg

OP
OP
sbrenskell

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I had my car towed directly from the dealer to the detailer, where correction was carried out before OptiCoat Pro+, Suntek PPF and a few other things were applied.

I specifically asked the detailer how he would like the car prepared for him - he said to just ask the dealer to do the standard PD wash with absolutely no polishing so I went with that. He sorted it from there.

Eighteen months on and the car is still immaculate - here it is leaving the dealer immediately following delivery bound for the detailer.
I plan on waiting till Spring to get my PPF and CQuartz. And I'll just drive it on good days. Luckily, for the past years we've had very mild winters. With two snows. And I don't mean 10"+ I mean like less than an inch.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on waiting till Spring to get my PPF and CQuartz. And I'll just drive it on good days. Luckily, for the past years we've had very mild winters. With two snows. And I don't mean 10"+ I mean like less than an inch.
We don't get snow here.

I was more concerned about the very real possibility of a stone chip or two on the journey (this paint is brittle).

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Hard for me to believe a detailer would want the dealership even doing a basic wash as the detailer should be doing his own wash before anything else.

Sponsored

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Hard for me to believe a detailer would want the dealership even doing a basic wash as the detailer should be doing his own wash before anything else.
I agree. The basic wash is when most of the damage occurs. Especially with Fords. Ford has a ton of fleet cars/trucks that get absolute hammered and they bring them in for service and they will pull your brand new $30-$40k Mustang through the same automated spinning brush car wash(if they have one) or use the same brushes that scrubbed off 3 months worth of dirt on a work truck or van.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Believe what you will - that's what he asked for.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
He would have to do polishing/paint correction either way so it's not like it would matter if he asked for the dealership to waste 10 minutes giving it a crap wash.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
It was about $2400 for Suntek PPF with self healing on the entire front bumper, hood, quarter panels, and mirrors and full Opticoat Pro + on the car. Just an idea price wise of what you're getting into. That's with a trusted installer.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
When I ordered my 2018, I told them to unload it from the truck and park it and not touch anything. Leave all plastic, protective wrappings on, and not wash it. I want to be the one to peal the plastic off, so that I can inspect the paint as is from the factory. Plus the plastic covers for the seats, I intend to save in my trunk so when I take it into a shop to get worked on, I’ll put those back on the seats, or also use them if I want to protect them.

Although yes I’m sure the dealer will forget, I’ll be tracking it and reminding them about 100 times before it arrives and I intend to be at the dealership when its unloaded from the truck (plus my toddler will love to see a car carrier). My goal is to inspect it on-site for anything I can’t fix or resolve, such as body lines, gaps, etc. I’ll take it home, do a 2 bucket wash, dry with compressed air or other light touch method, then do a full inspection of the paint and get to work correcting it (if needed). I’ve spent enough time correcting other cars over the years to know not every car needs full compounding, polishing, some you can skip steps. Then after the paint is perfect, I’m taking it to a local shop to have PPF put on the entire car to seal in the paint. After that I’ll take it home and put another protective layer such as wax, or Ammo Reflex on it to help give the PPF another layer of protection. And yes I know it’ll take me about 2 weeks for this entire process, but then it’ll be worth it and I’ll love every minute of it!

Before anyone says anything, I know I’m crazy and obsessed with my paint. My wife and co-workers all say the same thing.
Traded my '15 2SS Camaro for a Jeep for my wife.
Salesman on the Jeep lot said; "I've never seen a used car (the Camaro) that clean, two years old and with 10,000 miles on it".
Sponsored