Sponsored

Dealer location / order delivery times.

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
This post relates to U.S. Dealers. Based on some casual observations and viewing dealer inventory and stock ordered cars on the Ford website it looks like dealer location can add several weeks to the delivery time of an order. I’ve noticed that the cars received for a a specific dealer and other dealers in the same area appear to have their VIN#s grouped in clusters (not necessarily sequential but within a noticeable range) and the build dates on the window stickers are also closely grouped if not the exact same date in many cases. My theory is that Ford likes to build cars in groups based on where they will be shipped in order to maximize efficiency in shipping and minimize freight costs. Factoring in shipments going to international markets as well, i’m Thinking that this build date rotation based on delivery destination may add several weeks to delivery just depends on the luck of the draw and when you place your order. If you happen to get lucky and order a car that has no constraint on parts and get your order in just prior to the build rotation for cars going to your area then, bingo you might get your car in 8 weeks. On he other hand, if you miss the last rotation, might be more like 12 weeks or longer. Again, assuming no parts on backorder. There are of course many factors that determine a delivery date, but this build date and shipping rotation part seems to have potential to add weeks. I guess for international orders (Europe or Australia for example) Ford like to have enough volume to get a favorable shipping rate. Shipping one at a time certainly would not be effective.
Sponsored

SGRO5.0's

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2014 F150
This post relates to U.S. Dealers. Based on some casual observations and viewing dealer inventory and stock ordered cars on the Ford website it looks like dealer location can add several weeks to the delivery time of an order. I’ve noticed that the cars received for a a specific dealer and other dealers in the same area appear to have their VIN#s grouped in clusters (not necessarily sequential but within a noticeable range) and the build dates on the window stickers are also closely grouped if not the exact same date in many cases. My theory is that Ford likes to build cars in groups based on where they will be shipped in order to maximize efficiency in shipping and minimize freight costs. Factoring in shipments going to international markets as well, i’m Thinking that this build date rotation based on delivery destination may add several weeks to delivery just depends on the luck of the draw and when you place your order. If you happen to get lucky and order a car that has no constraint on parts and get your order in just prior to the build rotation for cars going to your area then, bingo you might get your car in 8 weeks. On he other hand, if you miss the last rotation, might be more like 12 weeks or longer. Again, assuming no parts on backorder. There are of course many factors that determine a delivery date, but this build date and shipping rotation part seems to have potential to add weeks. I guess for international orders (Europe or Australia for example) Ford like to have enough volume to get a favorable shipping rate. Shipping one at a time certainly would not be effective.

I think if 8-12 weeks happened you might be on to something. I'm looking at 8 months to get my order, and I think most are looking at several months to get theirs

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think if 8-12 weeks happened you might be on to something. I'm looking at 8 months to get my order, and I think most are looking at several months to get theirs
Why are you thinking it will take 8 months to get your car. Are you not in the US?

SGRO5.0's

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2014 F150
Why are you thinking it will take 8 months to get your car. Are you not in the US?
I’m in the us. When I ordered in July I was told 6-8 weeks. I finally got a build date of late January. I think mine is taking longer than most but I haven’t heard of many getting theirs in less than a few months.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I’m in the us. When I ordered in July I was told 6-8 weeks. I finally got a build date of late January. I think mine is taking longer than most but I haven’t heard of many getting theirs in less than a few months.
What was the hold up? Seems maybe your dealer waited a few months before putting the order in? Lots of folks received their cars between July and now.
Sponsored