Sponsored

Dealer can’t program key fob because of tune?

JGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I took my car in to the dealership to buy a new key fob and get it programmed, and after awhile they came back and asked if my car had an aftermarket tune. I said yes and they told me that it’s preventing them from programming the key and that I need to return it to stock for them to be able to do it.

Has anyone else had this issue? The shop that tuned my car doesn’t understand why this would be an issue. I know a lot of people here have aftermarket tunes and I can’t be the only one who has tried to get a new key, so I am curious about other people’s experience with this.

I didn’t get a handheld tuner when I got the tune, otherwise I would have tried returning it to stock. Just trying to gather a little info before I either try to get help from the tuner or try another dealer…Thanks!
Sponsored

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
Try an Auto Zone or local lock smith

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Interesting.

Just return the car to the stock tune, get the key programmed, and then go back onto the tune.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I have a hard time believing this is an actual thing. Its programming a key fob?

I would maybe try a different lock smith. A few years ago I had a guy come out and program a spare key on my car without any issues but then again I don't have any tunes so I could be wrong.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Is this a known issue with any aftermarket tune?

Or is the dealer just trying to bust the OP’s chops?

If this is a standard problem with any non-factory tune it’s hard to see how they ever get sold. If the aftermarket tune interferes with something as basic as programming a key fob wouldn’t it by definition have to cause compatibility issues with other systems too?

I’ll admit I’ve wondered about this before. It seems like so many times when somebody posts about some problem they’re having it turns out they have a tune.

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Okay I’ll bite… what tune are you running?

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
Having seen a zillion tunes come into the shop over the years it is quite likely to be causing a problem. Folks assume anyone can figure out the tune, but there are Performance Shops who do their own set up, and actually keep it proprietary and it is virtually impossible for someone else to manage it. Granted many have had plenty of complaints from clients so there is more transparency with tuning, but it could very likely alter the stock program.

Keep in mind, for those whose cars are still under warranty , a tune could completely void your warranty, so hang loose and do this after it runs out or at your own risk.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I have had a car recently that completely locked me out of the PCM that was tuned. Could read fault memory, but could not clear it or do any adaptation resets or anything that required altering data in the PCM.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This is where a flash device (Like an NGauge or SCT) comes in handy. Just flash the factory tune. Let them work their wizardry. Once the Fob is GTG, reflash the last tune revision you were running.

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Take your key to a local Ace Hardware, they have a machine that will clone your key, and allow it to work; The issue with that is now you have 2 keys that are the same (meaning you cannot use the 2nd new key to program a 3rd one), and you lose the ability to set up unique "My Key" features, as the car recognizes them both as the same key...but its less expensive and still lets you have a spare key.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think he is trying to get the "fob" programed not a key made. :)

Take your key to a local Ace Hardware, they have a machine that will clone your key, and allow it to work; The issue with that is now you have 2 keys that are the same (meaning you cannot use the 2nd new key to program a 3rd one), and you lose the ability to set up unique "My Key" features, as the car recognizes them both as the same key...but its less expensive and still lets you have a spare key.

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
I think he is trying to get the "fob" programed not a key made. :)
They can clone the fobs, just not program a new one. If he has 1 working key fob, they will make a clone of it, and it will start the vehicle just as his current one remaining one does.

I lost one of my F150 keys last year, the dealership wanted just north of $200 to "program" a new key, my local Ace HW was like $105 for the new key,fob and cloning of it. Since he has driven the car to the dealer, it sounds like he has one working fob/key set, and that is all that is needed for it to be cloned. But in order to "program" one yourself you need 2 unique keys/fobs for the car, with a cloned key/fob you lose that option, as well as the unique features programmed to the key/fob (memory seats, My Key feature, etc)...they don't require the vehicle itself to make the clone key, which overcomes his necessity to have a new key programmed, which seems to be impeded by the tune...basically programming the car is out of the mix with this route-
They take the key/fob put it in their machine, it records whatever from the working key/Fob then writes that same data to the new key/Fob, the car already has that key programmed into it, so it doesn't need anything done to the vehicle, and circumvents his issue.

OP
OP

JGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies all. I've got a custom dyno tune at a local shop. On my last car, this included an SCT handheld tuner that allowed me to change tunes or return to stock. I didn't get that with this tune, otherwise I for sure would have tried returning to stock by now. I'm currently talking with them about getting a handheld or temporarily returning to stock to see if that fixes the problem.

The ACE hardware idea is an interesting one...I don't really use the My Key features, so if they are able to make just a straight clone of the existing key without even having to deal with the car itself, that could be a good workaround even if I have to pay for the extra key.

OP
OP

JGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
They can clone the fobs, just not program a new one. If he has 1 working key fob, they will make a clone of it, and it will start the vehicle just as his current one remaining one does.

I lost one of my F150 keys last year, the dealership wanted just north of $200 to "program" a new key, my local Ace HW was like $105 for the new key,fob and cloning of it. Since he has driven the car to the dealer, it sounds like he has one working fob/key set, and that is all that is needed for it to be cloned. But in order to "program" one yourself you need 2 unique keys/fobs for the car, with a cloned key/fob you lose that option, as well as the unique features programmed to the key/fob (memory seats, My Key feature, etc)...they don't require the vehicle itself to make the clone key, which overcomes his necessity to have a new key programmed, which seems to be impeded by the tune...basically programming the car is out of the mix with this route-
They take the key/fob put it in their machine, it records whatever from the working key/Fob then writes that same data to the new key/Fob, the car already has that key programmed into it, so it doesn't need anything done to the vehicle, and circumvents his issue.
Do they stock OEM key fobs? Or is it some kind of other fob? I assume I'd probably lose the pony on the back of the key, but I suppose I'm not too concerned about that if it resolves my key problem.

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Do they stock OEM key fobs? Or is it some kind of other fob? I assume I'd probably lose the pony on the back of the key, but I suppose I'm not too concerned about that if it resolves my key problem.
I think my F150 key just had a plain back on it, but I don't remember 100%, I traded the truck in last Sept (literally like 3 weeks after having the spare key made). Here is their link; I am in no way affiliated with Ace Hardware, I just know it worked for me and saved me $$

https://www.acehardware.com/automotivekeys
Sponsored