Sponsored

SOLVED: Dead clutch pedal. Cant change gear.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I wouldn't doubt Ford sells the MC as an assembly, with the clutch pedal included. Or another explanation would be the spring is not available separately. At any rate, I'd replace the slave first, and see if that solves the issue. The TOB (throw Out Bearing, right?) is a completely different part that requires transmission removal, so THAT would be expensive to do. Hopefully not needed. That's the problem with owners removing parts (the spring), and then having issues. I'd never do that, especially still under warranty. Good luck to the OP.
you are correct you cannot get the spring separately. You would need to buy the entire pedal assembly. But even if they have to drop the trans it would be covered under warranty so I dont mind it. I just miss driving it lol.
Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I replaced my clutch master cylinder. Bought the part straight from Ford, came with just the MC, nothing else. Mechanically easy to replace, but physically a PITA to access. I took my time and did it in a couple hours.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I wouldn't doubt Ford sells the MC as an assembly, with the clutch pedal included. Or another explanation would be the spring is not available separately. At any rate, I'd replace the slave first, and see if that solves the issue. The TOB (throw Out Bearing, right?) is a completely different part that requires transmission removal, so THAT would be expensive to do. Hopefully not needed. That's the problem with owners removing parts (the spring), and then having issues. I'd never do that, especially still under warranty. Good luck to the OP.
The slave cylinder and TOB are one part, so you need to remove trans to replace. You can't replace one or the other.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Well I see why the 2600 bucks. The clutch and brake peddle are one assembly. The clutch MC looks to be on the inside of the fire wall, and berried inside the housing that hold both peddles.

clutch pedal.png

I just love this service manual I just received

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The clutch MC comes out with the entire assembly but you only need to buy the MC, it is available individually. I know because I bought one.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Replacing the master cylinder and slave cylinder/TOB at the same time is like replacing the axles because you broke your drive shaft. They are related, but it is not likely that both of them failed simultaneously. I lost my slave cylinder/TOB at around 40k and there was no discussion about replacing the pedal assembly or master cylinder, because why would there be? Since Ford is apparently not willing to cover this fix anyway, take it to a third party shop so the issue can be diagnosed instead of having the parts cannon fired at it for no reason.

armani5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armani
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OP did you ever get your car back? Currently having issues where my car is hard to get out of gear sometimes. I’ve replaced my throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel etc, thinking it’s my master cylinder.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
OP did you ever get your car back? Currently having issues where my car is hard to get out of gear sometimes. I’ve replaced my throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel etc, thinking it’s my master cylinder.

Hello there. So I took it to the next dealership but they were unable to replicate the issue. After sitting with them for 3 days, the service advisor said to come pick it up and bring it back there when it happens again. A day or so after getting it back I could feel the clutch pedal dying again and sure enough when I started my car yesterday, the issue came back. I got it towed and its with them now. I hope to hear something back on Monday.

Since you replaced all of those, you can then try the clutch master cylinder by buying the master cylinder for around 100 or so or getting a pedal assembly from a parts shop like Parts Farm if you dont want to pay 300 for a new one.

Sponsored

armani5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armani
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello there. So I took it to the next dealership but they were unable to replicate the issue. After sitting with them for 3 days, the service advisor said to come pick it up and bring it back there when it happens again. A day or so after getting it back I could feel the clutch pedal dying again and sure enough when I started my car yesterday, the issue came back. I got it towed and its with them now. I hope to hear something back on Monday.

Since you replaced all of those, you can then try the clutch master cylinder by buying the master cylinder for around 100 or so or getting a pedal assembly from a parts shop like Parts Farm if you dont want to pay 300 for a new one.
Appreciate the response! Sucks that they haven’t fixed that for you yet... But I’ll buy the clutch master and start there and hopefully that solves my problem.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Appreciate the response! Sucks that they haven’t fixed that for you yet... But I’ll buy the clutch master and start there and hopefully that solves my problem.
Yea it is weird. First dealership couldn't warranty but knew how to fix it. For some reason it started working when I went to pick up the car but I still took it to the another dealership. The next dealership said they could warranty it but needed to replicate the issue. Im sure it will get fixed now and Im hoping they will be nice enough to let me give them an upgraded clutch if they have to drop the trans.

Good luck with your fix!

armani5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armani
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yea it is weird. First dealership couldn't warranty but knew how to fix it. For some reason it started working when I went to pick up the car but I still took it to the another dealership. The next dealership said they could warranty it but needed to replicate the issue. Im sure it will get fixed now and Im hoping they will be nice enough to let me give them an upgraded clutch if they have to drop the trans.

Good luck with your fix!
I hope it all goes well for you! And I would hope they wouldn’t give you an issue since it’s already dropped! But good luck!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch MC comes out with the entire assembly but you only need to buy the MC, it is available individually. I know because I bought one.
Of course it's the labor getting in there that one pays for, and rightly so.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Update: Went to the dealer today to get something form my car and the advisor said that the trans will be dropped for sure in the next week or so. He has 3 transmission jobs including mine so I will be without the car for a couple weeks. I asked him since they are dropping the transmission, can i upgrade the clutch if I wanted to and he said yes and they will just charge me for labor of taking the old one out and putting in the new one.

My question:

How many hours of labor do you think they will charge to swap out the clutch?
I know every shop hour rate is different which is why I am asking hours. I just don't want to buy a new clutch then pay another 400 for him to put it in when I am already getting this fixed for free. However I am saving more now by doing so then later down the road when I do eventually have to change my clutch.
Sponsored