Sponsored

Dead battery - left lights on - pain to jump

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Went to work yesterday, but forgot to turn the light switch back to auto mode….had parking only on driving up to a military base gate where we need to dim our lights.

After coming out at the end of the day, found a crap load of messages on the display and a car that wouldnt turn over…dead battery. I also noted I couldn’t open the trunk if I had cables or a jump box, and couldnt find an alternate way to open the trunk.

Was fortunate with a friend that actually had jumper cables, but when I connected everything, I wasn’t seeing any power on my car. I went ahead and messed with the connection a number of times, but still wasn’t seeing anything even after verifying a good connection on the main posts. After multiple tries, I finally had power in the car and started right up.

This situation just seemed odd in trying to get power to the car. Maybe it was a bad connection/corrosion on the jumper cables?.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Could be a number of things but most likely bad cables not making a connection. Did you attach the negative side to your body ground? Makes a big difference when you do that(Plus its safer way of doing it). In addition sometimes the car that is giving you a boost doesn't have enough juice, revving it up a little helps get the voltage up.

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be a number of things but most likely bad cables not making a connection. Did you attach the negative side to your body ground? Makes a big difference when you do that. In addition sometimes the car that is giving you a boost doesn't have enough juice, revving it up a little helps get the voltage up.
Yes for the attachment. Friend did rev the engine slightly but that wouldn’t account for the map lights not coming on either.

Maybe it was the cables themselves. I have a good pair at home, but decided to throw in a jump box behind the seat for now.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Yes for the attachment. Friend did rev the engine slightly but that wouldn’t account for the map lights not coming on either.

Maybe it was the cables themselves. I have a good pair at home, but decided to throw in a jump box behind the seat for now.
I see most likely the cables. What kind of car was it? I find that a small car like a honda civic has trouble starting a V8 like ours.

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
Any after effects on settings, performance, etc?

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Went to work yesterday, but forgot to turn the light switch back to auto mode….had parking only on driving up to a military base gate where we need to dim our lights.

After coming out at the end of the day, found a crap load of messages on the display and a car that wouldnt turn over…dead battery. I also noted I couldn’t open the trunk if I had cables or a jump box, and couldnt find an alternate way to open the trunk.

Was fortunate with a friend that actually had jumper cables, but when I connected everything, I wasn’t seeing any power on my car. I went ahead and messed with the connection a number of times, but still wasn’t seeing anything even after verifying a good connection on the main posts. After multiple tries, I finally had power in the car and started right up.

This situation just seemed odd in trying to get power to the car. Maybe it was a bad connection/corrosion on the jumper cables?.
Check out this post for getting into the trunk with a dead battery.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/dead-battery-get-into-trunk.81108/

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any after effects on settings, performance, etc?
Only lost the trip data, but not the audio settings…haven't notice any other impacts.

I see most likely the cables. What kind of car was it? I find that a small car like a honda civic has trouble starting a V8 like ours.
Was a V6 car, but even a four cylinder car would have enough power to at least enable the lights…in theory. Agree where it seems the jumper cables are suspect.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Same happened to me, tried to use a jumper box made for v8. had trouble too.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Same happened to me, tried to use a jumper box made for v8. had trouble too.
What jumper box was it? I hear NOCO are nice ones to have and they are very small. Anyone used a NOCO? And if so does the 1000A suffice? Probably the 1500 is best.

1665710982528.png

1665710930709.png

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I think that with a lot of those jump packs, if the voltage you attach it to is too low, it will not turn on.