Sponsored

Dave Pericak speaks a bit about the Mustang's future

vbondjr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
I can't agree with that at all. To make it into something "more" would be to make it "more mainstream" where it becomes just another disposable sedan or interchangeable SUV/CUV. The Mustang's basic character to date is that it stands in defiance of being either of those things. To change that, you might as well just retire the name. The Mustang is to Ford what the Corvette is to Chevrolet or the 911 to Porsche. Two of those companies have had the good sense to not dilute (skewer?) their model's image.

Norm
Normally, I would agree with your statement on this, but obviously to Ford, the Mustang is not to them what the Corvette is to Gm or the 911 to Porsche. If it was, then they wouldn't be throwing the name around on other things besides a Mustang. Interestingly enough, the comments that I've received on my post, all prove my point of bringing out vehicles that don't necessarily have to live up to the expectations of their predecessors. Vehicles like the Mustang, the Bronco, the F150 and things like that all have a V8 rich history and being that they are American vehicles, they've been pigeonholed into a category where the only versions that matter are the V8 versions. Where vehicles like the Falcon have super high performance versions of the 6-cylinder variant. Cars like the Euro Capri, the Sierra, the Focus, Everest and even the Ranger, all have high performance histories that don't involve V8 engines. The thing is that what once was is not going to be for much longer. Muscle cars are going away and if we're going to keep I.C.E performance, Ford is going to need to do something difference. Honestly, I didn't like the thought of the Mach E having the Mustang name but since it's already done and there's nothing anyone can do about it, might as well accept it and try to offer suggestions to keep Ford Performance alive.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
NEW ICE Muscle cars are going away someday.
Fixed that for you. Hopefully all the great muscle cars already built will be around and on the road for many years into the future. I'm also hopeful that manufacturers will continue to answer the demand of their customers for ICE performance vehicles.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
When Iran is goaded into building a nuclear weapon or two, and partners-up with North Korea, perhaps we will find time to worry about something of significance?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Why worry about something you can't control in any way? Just enjoy the present. Carpe diem.
In other words give up because your selfish and screw everybody else, I think most people have a different view.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh? What are you on about? :crazy:
"Just enjoy the present"
Apologies if im wrong but I thought you were suggesting that we don't try and reduce emissions, "just live for the moment"

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I didn't mean it like that. I meant stop worrying about whether the Mustang is going to exist in the future, or whether it's going to be sold in Europe or not. We have no control over that. Just enjoy it as it is, while you still can.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
When Iran is goaded into building a nuclear weapon or two, and partners-up with North Korea, perhaps we will find time to worry about something of significance?
Frank, please take a chill pill. We are talking about our ICE Mustang’s.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
"Just enjoy the present"
Apologies if im wrong but I thought you were suggesting that we don't try and reduce emissions, "just live for the moment"
There are many of us on this side of the pond that actually do feel that way (I happen not to be one of them). Ownership of an ICE V8 is a G-d given right and any reason given for the possible elimination of them is a massive government conspiracy.

Now to be honest it does feel at times that the “world is ending tomorrow” folks do take things a little to far. That doesn’t mean that real science exists that our Earth is being harmed and that something needs to be done.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
In general, the big things that we could worry about are not the things that drive our everyday choices and decisions.

Let alone define our individual wants for us on such a micro level to where we should agree that the direction that Farley . . . err, Ford is apparently taking the Mustang in is a good thing.

Norm

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are many of us on this side of the pond that actually do feel that way (I happen not to be one of them). Ownership of an ICE V8 is a G-d given right and any reason given for the possible elimination of them is a massive government conspiracy.

Now to be honest it does feel at times that the “world is ending tomorrow” folks do take things a little to far. That doesn’t mean that real science exists that our Earth is being harmed and that something needs to be done.
I am no tree hugger (i drive a V8 Mustang G-d!- albeit only do about 4k miles a year), but you have to be completely irrational (or psychotic) not to try to do your bit to help the environment and believe the science. Luckily my relatives in the US are not irrational and psychotic. Although i do understand it is generally much easier in the UK to use your car less and use public transport more than in the US.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
From the EPA:

global_emissions_sector_2015.png

Transportation includes shipping, freight, and air travel. Targeting low volume sportscars and evil polar-bear killing v8's is pointless. So much more change needs to be made before we actually make a dent in global emissions. Changes that are not as "easy" as banning ICE cars.
1 volcano erupting produces 1000X the amount of "green-house gases" than everything above combined.

We humans are full of hubris, thinking we're affecting the planet's climate. We're fleas on a elephant's butt, nothing more. When the planet decides it's had enough of us, it will end us.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A Euro 6.2 five liter V8 pollutes much less than all those stinky diesel busses that most cities are infested with. I can never drive behind one of those without turning on the air recirculation. And they have the nerve to call public transport 'eco' and to blame me for not using it.
I fly frequently to Germany for work, and when our plane has a remote position (which happens every time on departure from Munich and occasionally on arrival as well) there's always a diesel-powered bus waiting for us with the engine running and all doors open. I can barely breathe in there. And that's in Germany, not in some banana country.

but you have to be completely irrational (or psychotic) not to try to do your bit to help the environment and believe the science.
I am doing my bit. I sort my waste, I don't pour oil or other pollutants down the drain, I've replaced all my light bulbs with LED, I don't leave the water running or the lights on.
But the car? No way, I won't give it up. If eco-friendly cars become useful and attractive enough in the future, then I will certainly embrace them (in fact, my current car is a hybrid). But until then I will not feel any guilt for driving a car that complies with the most recent emissions control regulations, while public services pollute infinitely more than my poor little car and nobody gives a damn about that.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I am no tree hugger (i drive a V8 Mustang G-d!- albeit only do about 4k miles a year), but you have to be completely irrational (or psychotic) not to try to do your bit to help the environment and believe the science.
"Doing my bit" does not need to be as extensive as what a hardcore environmentalist would prefer while still being an individual's small contribution in the right direction. I realize that the environmental extremists among us would be psychologically incapable of appreciating such a position, but that's at least as much of a problem with their agenda having zero tolerance as it is with any stubbornness on my part.

Norm
Sponsored