Sponsored

Dashcam recommendations, Near Miss last year. Even when its not your fault....its your fault, dubious liability.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Last year driving S197 on my way to work, on the weekend. I had the red car jump out in front of me making a very dangerous and illegal left hand turn. Keep in mind that the road I was on is a busy thoroughfare and people easily drive 40-50 MPH on it. I missed the offender by inches. Had I been going a little faster, or was a little slower on reaction, I would have hit that car hard.

Even after avoiding the car I wasn't out of the woods, because of the necessary swerve I was now barreling towards the curb, a telephone pole, and building! In real time I was cursing and downshift braking hard. The S197 was nose diving into the pavement ABS activating, tires screeching! By what felt like a miracle, I stopped just inches to from the curb, in my head I was thinking "not going to make this one, not enough distance!"

After I few seconds it dawned on me, had I not stopped in time, I would have careened right into this telephone pole and building with considerable force. This easily could have been a deadly accident or one with serious injuries. That aside, what really bugged me was, had I hit that property all that liability would have been ON ME! I never contacted the offending vehicle, their dangerous move would have been the actual root cause, but because I never hit them, they just drove off on their merry way likely wreaking havoc somewhere else down the road with their stupidity.

Any left turn here is dangerous, I would never do it, cars move too fast on this road. Traffic is usually too heavy anyways to allow such a turn. Anyways, this idiot decided to risk it and bolt out, when he clearly could not see any oncoming traffic because of parked cars, I couldn't see him until he was right up in my face. I watched a lot of youtube videos of dashcams after this, and this scenario is surprisingly common. Dangerous blind lefts....

This is one of the situations that comes up, where things were not your fault, but you would have been stuck with the liability anyways. Now if I had a dashcam, it would atleast show how the offending vehicle cut infront of me, and I swerved to avoid collision. I don't know exactly how that would play out insurance wise, but with no video evidence to back up my statement, I likely would have been screwed. This prompted me to look into a dashcam. I waited to get one until the M1 arrived, well its here and I need a camera. from the vids I have seen, blackvue looks pretty high quality.

diagram.JPG

This is my perspective view, albeit without the offending car in the frame of course. Street imagery is amazing.... Anyways as you see there is not a lot of room here, and on this particular day, there were parked cars along the right curb (bottom right of image), right up to the intersection, very dangerous. I ended up just inches from that telephone pole, the curb is ADA complaint there so it is slanted and level with the road, it wouldn't have helped me stop, it would have just been a ramp directing me into the building!

pole_near_miss.JPG
Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I run a 2 channel (Front & Rear camera) Blackvue in both my vehicles. Great quality with no issues.

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer XLT
I have a 2 channel front and rear Thinkware setup. Seems to work great. I have their OBD2 power adaptor so no splicing/taping and I still have all the features of a hard wired setup. The camera has parking monitoring and auto starts continuous recording when I start the car.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I run an Auto-Vox V5Pro, hardwired. I have the rear camera mounted at the top of the rear window, below the high brakelight, though you can also mount it outside beneath the overhang for the license plate. It's very discrete and good quality.

It does have a tendency to lock files a bit extraneously—like going over heavy speedbumps or highway grooves—but, I'd rather it be cautious in locking files than not. You can lower the sensitivity and wipe/format the SD card from the mirror itself anyway so, it's not a big hassle.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I’m also looking for a good dash cam after a small metal object came off a truck and dented my bonnet. I’d prefer something small and not very intrusive , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

decableguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP, 2020 VB GT PP
I had a Blackview in my 16, but it developed issues. I have since switched to a Thinkware F200 pro front and rear with a Blackview external battery for extened parking mode. In the 20 I have the Thinkware U1000 with Thinkware external battery.

In my opinion the Blackview was pickier on SD cards than the Thinkware. Currently running Samsung Pro endurance cards.

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Well both cams arrived and time for real world testing. But I'm lazy....

Here is another review vid and I think I'm just going to run with the A129, and send the blackvue back without going through the installation process and testing side by side. I'm pretty convinced by this vid that the A129 has an edge in image quality, whilst sacrificing some features like cloud storage ect. For me I place value on the image quality itself. Plus the A129 was less money.

I have a track day coming up on the Dec 11th, I will probably post some vids of that in HD quality, not 4k. Keep in mind track days are not really the camera's purpose for me, I have it for insurance claims on the roads ect.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Can any of these be possibly hardwired to the back of the mirror?

Or do you have to run a wire all along the trim and into the fusebox?
Sponsored