Dash Cam - 2018 Mustang GT PP

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Evening all,

As I am sure you're aware, there are a million and one dash cam options available.
However, what are some things to consider when looking into obtaining and installing a dash cam?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Blackvue 750 2-channel in my truck and my wife’s SUV. I have the new Blackvue 900S in my Mustang. Installation is pretty easy. Some things to consider:

4K quality video or HD quality
Recording to the cloud or to a microSD card (most do both options nowadays)
1-channel or 2-channel
Is there an app that goes with the camera?
IR or not

Just some of the things to look for.

Tim

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just reviewed the Blackvue 750 and the 650. Pricey!
And, it seems with that kit you get a front and rear camera. To be honest, I wasn't even thinking about a rare camera.

Hmm, something to think about...

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Along with high resolution I always look for GPS in mine I like knowing location,speed,ect.

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I have a Garmin Dashcam 55 and love it. I have the parking cable in my car so I can record when my car is parked. It uses a magnetic mount, so it's super easy to swap into my wife's car if we take it on longer trips. I love the voice control because I can verbally tell it to save a recording without having to push a button as well as other stuff. Shows date, time, GPS and speed. I have a polarised filter on order to help with some of the glare that sometimes happens when the sun hits it just right. Would strongly recommend it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Garmin Dashcam 45, 55 and 65w all look interesting...!

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I bought one a few months ago, went with a Thinkware F800 Pro and Neo Cellink battery to power it in parking mode. Pricey but it works well and I'm satisfied with it. My reasons for getting one were a few pants shitting close calls on my daily commute and the parking situation at work.

Features that were important to me:

2 Channel (front and rear)
Quality/Reliability/Manufacturer Support
Parking mode that works
Video Quality - day and night
Memory card size

This is my first dash cam. Installation was fairly simple, definitely a DIY project.

Do a little research before pulling the trigger - two sites I found useful:

dashcamtalk.com and carcamcentral.com.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, and you installed it yourself? Nice.
Any issues with connecting to the right fuse? After watching quite a few videos, most seemed to have issues with the fuse, and thus needed to buy an adapter to connect to the fuse.

PS: thanks for posting and sharing the links...

I bought one a few months ago, went with a Thinkware F800 Pro and Neo Cellink battery to power it in parking mode. Pricey but it works well and I'm satisfied with it. My reasons for getting one were a few pants shitting close calls on my daily commute and the parking situation at work.

Features that were important to me:

2 Channel (front and rear)
Quality/Reliability/Manufacturer Support
Parking mode that works
Video Quality - day and night
Memory card size

This is my first dash cam. Installation was fairly simple, definitely a DIY project.

Do a little research before pulling the trigger - two sites I found useful:

dashcamtalk.com and carcamcentral.com.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
I've got a Thinkware F800 Pro with front/rear cameras. It's got better night vision than the Blackvue and the app is MUCH better (it categorizes recordings instead of just displaying them all together).

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Ah, and you installed it yourself? Nice.
Any issues with connecting to the right fuse? After watching quite a few videos, most seemed to have issues with the fuse, and thus needed to buy an adapter to connect to the fuse.

PS: thanks for posting and sharing the links...
The only issue I ran into with the hardwire connection were these crappy fuse taps I ordered off Amazon -Lumision Fuse Taps. Avoid, they would not seat completely in the fuse slots on my car. I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts, the Micro 2 fuse taps they carry fit perfectly. I used slots 2 and 23 in the kick panel fuse box to hardwire. Later on I got the Cellink which only needs 1 switched connection. Routing the cables for the front and rear camera's was super easy, just hide under headliner. I had to pop off the black plastic trim around the foot well to gain better access to the fuse panel, simple. The entire install is easy to do yourself.

An external battery is needed if you plan on using parking mode for more than a few hours at a time. The F800 has built in battery protection which is another nice feature and it works. I had the batt protection set to 12.2 V and the camera would only stay in parking mode for 2-3 hours before that limit was reached - hence the need for the Cellink. My recommendation, if you plan on using parking mode get an external battery and don't buy the hardwire kit which is not included and costs extra. I have a Thinkware hardwire kit for cheap if anyone needs one.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Right, time to vote:

- Blackvue dr750 2ch or
- Thinkwave F800 Pro

Go...

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
Right, time to vote:

- Blackvue dr750 2ch or
- Thinkwave F800 Pro

Go...
I just installed the F800 Pro and the DR750S is going back to Amazon. I just prefer the form factor, alerts system (speed cameras - invaluable in the UK) and the general interface. I know the Blackvue probably has better 'cloud features'... but they're very gimicky anyway and I'm sure Thinkware will update their software with more features soon enough.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I ordered and installed one of these just this past weekend and I've been super impressed with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GYGVY5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The setup was finished in minutes and I was on my way, video and audio quality are great(1080p/30FPS) and the nightvision is great! The app is fantastic too, but accessing video via wifi from the app is a bit slow, just connect it to your PC to pull video off in seconds.

I paired it with a 128GB Class 10 Samsung Evo Select microSD card as well.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do wish the camera wasn't so 'big'. The likes of BlackVue and Thinkwave F800 Pro, seem to slim, and almost incognito when installed ;)

I ordered and installed one of these just this past weekend and I've been super impressed with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GYGVY5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The setup was finished in minutes and I was on my way, video and audio quality are great(1080p/30FPS) and the nightvision is great! The app is fantastic too, but accessing video via wifi from the app is a bit slow, just connect it to your PC to pull video off in seconds.

I paired it with a 128GB Class 10 Samsung Evo Select microSD card as well.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I do wish the camera wasn't so 'big'. The likes of BlackVue and Thinkwave F800 Pro, seem to slim, and almost incognito when installed ;)
I guess if you wanted a smaller one you can get one with a very tiny viewfinder or none at all. Most makers of them usually have terrible app support and you of course will be paying a lot more for compact design. Blueskysea and DDPai have some decent ones.
Sponsored