• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse Convertible?

Stangway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
From what I gather from Ford’s most recent email, I think that the Dark Horse is only available in a Coupe. I am driving my third Mustang convertible so….
Hope I am wrong.
Sponsored

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
From what I gather from Ford’s most recent email, I think that the Dark Horse is only available in a Coupe. I am driving my third Mustang convertible so….
Hope I am wrong.
It's a performance variant. There was no GT350, M1 or GT500 convertible, so why would they do it to the DH

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
It's a performance variant. There was no GT350, M1 or GT500 convertible, so why would they do it to the DH
The only reason why they did not for the 6th gen, is because of the extra power. They had a 5th gen gt500 convertable, but I think with all the perf. goodies now, we will not get it.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The only reason why they did not for the 6th gen, is because of the extra power. They had a 5th gen gt500 convertable, but I think with all the perf. goodies now, we will not get it.
I'm not seeing the logic in this statement. The 5th gen gt500 made 660hp so I'd say that is irrelevant. I'm guessing nobody picked the option, because it makes no sense, and they dropped it

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Hope I am wrong.
I'm with you buddy, convertible performance mustangs don't make sense... but I still want them and will 100% place an order for one if the opportunity comes up. Are you hearing this Ford? TAKE MY MONEY! 🤣

We all know convertible models are inferior to the coupes when it comes to performance - there is no arguing that. The hidden secret of a performance convertible is hearing that exhaust with the top down on a sunny day, possibly every day driving to and from work if you live in a warm climate. This delivers more pleasure to the few of us out there that prefer the driving experience rather than the numbers/stats.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I owned a 2001 Cobra convertible, it was okay to drive with the top down, I guess. I wished it were a coupe after the novelty wore off. It was my last performance convertible for sure.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
>add CF wheels
>stick on dummy gummy track tires
>add all kinds of chassis bracing
>remove what is essentially the spine of the car and turn it into an al dente noodle
>presto

The moment they cared about handling, like normalizing IRS and fine tuning cornering behavior, they did what every other OEM does and stopped making hi-po verts.

A high performance convertible is basically like ripping the spine out of an athlete and shoving in pins and rods to make up for it. You lose the majority of the core rigidity and have to add in a bunch of weight to compensate.

The only cars where we see the exception made for hi-po convertible variants are ones with extremely stiff base chassis construction, usually stemming from majority high-strength alloy usage, monocoques, tons of welds, etc. Otherwise you take an average chassis built to cost, noodle-lify it, then have to slap a bunch of bracing and weight in the door panels and underbody just to make it halfway competent

Only to get it into the hands of journalists and have them repeat the same criticisms like "oooh nooo cowl shake bad"

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
Convertibles are way too fun not have one. Buy the DH and go get a cheaper used sporty rag top for the Sunday drives.
I have a 2004 350Z roadster that is a blast. I'll take drives in both cars some days.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
most tracks won't allow convertibles or if they do they have to have a hard top in place. Mainly for insurance/safety policies. Being the Dark donkey is a track focused car it just dosnt make since to me that they would

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I rented a Ecoboost convertible and was really unimpressed with the top mechanism; the quarter windows didn’t work well at all.

I love convertibles, and I love mustangs, but I don’t feel like the modern ones do it well together. Maybe get something more purpose designed like a Miata or Boxster? That being said, it always sucks to be the underserved niche customer.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
I rented a Ecoboost convertible and was really unimpressed with the top mechanism; the quarter windows didn’t work well at all.

I love convertibles, and I love mustangs, but I don’t feel like the modern ones do it well together. Maybe get something more purpose designed like a Miata or Boxster? That being said, it always sucks to be the underserved niche customer.
I rented a gt convertible, and it was a blast. I agree with the quarter windows though. The passenger side one would not seal to the door window, so I had to pull it shut.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Check out 2023 Camaro Convertible LT1 650 Hp.
Just saying.
And that platform is much better than the Mustangs when it comes to built in stiffness and is a newer platform that had that in mind, not one thats been "revised" for 3-4 generations now.

....Just saying.
Sponsored