Dampers on stock springs

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
So, I have decided to keep my '15 for a while. I put the LMS 675 SC on it and I switched out the stock anti-sway bars for the Ford Performance Track bars.

I am pleased with the flatter movement of the car through corners and it is not excessively noisy.

But, the handling and steering is bouncy and jittery. I would like to change the dampers front and rear while maintaining the stock springs. I believe the dampers are more the issue and do not want to lower.

Any and all opinions are welcome. Remember, I don't want to lower.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If the steering is affected as well, have you had your alignment checked recently at all?

If you're sure on that, I'd say look at the Steeda Pro-Actions. The fixed should address the bounciness you're experiencing and be more than able to handle the stock springs.

There is a rough piece of road I cross every day (think where they removed lane stripes and never did anything after that) and it glides smoothly across now whereas before it quite rough and I'd do what I could to avoid it.

They also have minimum drop springs which would probably improve the ride quality even more and you could grab their spacers to bring the height back up.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
If the steering is affected as well, have you had your alignment checked recently at all?

If you're sure on that, I'd say look at the Steeda Pro-Actions. The fixed should address the bounciness you're experiencing and be more than able to handle the stock springs.

There is a rough piece of road I cross every day (think where they removed lane stripes and never did anything after that) and it glides smoothly across now whereas before it quite rough and I'd do what I could to avoid it.

They also have minimum drop springs which would probably improve the ride quality even more and you could grab their spacers to bring the height back up.
I had the car 4 wheel aligned when I bought those expensive Michelin tires which I love! That was about 1,000 miles ago.

Thanks for the information. I called Brian at Steeda and he was very helpful. I ordered the Pro-Action shocks/struts. Got the 10% discount, free shipping and no sales tax. I look forward to seeing if this will stop the bouncyness which increased with the anti-roll bars. He said, as you did, it will perform very well.

Then I'll get the car aligned again.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Those will work very well on stock springs for sure.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Could be also the bars. Those bars are really stiff and your steering will react more to imperfections in the road and stuff like that.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I like adjustable shocks, because you get to play a bit with the settings and find what dampening works the best for your personal tastes. So Konis adjustables, or Steeda adjustables.

FWIW, if you know the math and know the range of speeds, bumps, spring rates and all the related geometries, a properly valved fixed shock is all you need. Adjustable are just an easy way to get close through trial and error since most of us aren't suspension engineers.

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
I really like my Steeda fixed pro-actions. They really cleaned up my bouncyness I had. May I suggest the Steeda billet rear shock mounts as well. If I could do it over again I would get the adjustable ones, I want to run higher spring rates than the fixed can handle.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I like adjustable shocks, because you get to play a bit with the settings and find what dampening works the best for your personal tastes. So Konis adjustables, or Steeda adjustables.
This ↑↑↑

I ran Koni yellows with the OE springs on my S197 for at least 6 years, including street driving, track time, and a little autocrossing. Shouldn't be any less do-able on a S550.

You might even use different settings depending on need. Something like 'Track/autocross', 'DD for you only', and 'with passengers not so tolerant of ride firmness/occasional harshness'.

Norm

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I had the Tokico D-specs on 2 different S197s with P springs. Absolutely loved them as I had the cable extenders on the tokicos in the trunk and didn't have to remove the wheels like I would on the S550 plus I am trying to keep costs a bit lower as I am still considering selling this car in the summer to purchase a Bullitt... possibly.
The Steeda dampers are supposed to be here tomorrow. After I get them installed I'll report how they compare to the current setup with the Ford Performance bars.
I appreciate the feedback. Steeda was very helpful as well.
Sponsored