Dallas shop for MGW shifter install?

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT V8 with 41k miles
Hi - I have no mechanical ability and am receiving the MGW shifter in a couple weeks (processing time, since I ordered and they're backlogged). Looking for recommendations from someone who has positive things to say* about having gotten it installed it at a shop. I'm looking for a shop within 50-70miles of DFW (I live in the Plano area).

*(not just random listings I can google myself)

• What year mustang did you have it done on?
  • Rough idea of total/labor price* (ok if you prefer to PM-me, instead of posting publicly)
  • Name of the shop you had it installed at
  • Person who did the install
  • Anything go particularly right or wrong? or any other advice you have for me?
I'm one month into owning and enjoying the heck out of my first Mustang and first manual car..... a 2016 GT V8 convertible new-to-me with 40K miles.

I am experiencing an occasional grind from 1-2 (remedied when I double-clutch and/or go into Neutral for three-fourths-of-a-second), and occasionally miss the shift (feels like lock out) especially from 5-4. I drive it gently and rarely shifter over 4K or 4.5K RPM although now that I just added a Rousch axle-back exhaust I really enjoy getting up to 4K in 2nd and 3rd. Multiple Five Star Ford mechanics drove the vehicle and "could find nothing wrong" with the shifting/MT-82. They recommended I not change the trans. fluid especially to what I'm soon intending -- the BG syncro II -- lest it void my factory warranty.

2445936-24-revo.jpg

2445936-45-revo.jpg
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Three DFW area places that get good reviews on the DFWS550 Facebook group are Farmuh Performance (Kyle Farmar), Baca Performance (Frank Rodriguez), and Paramount Speed (Michael Ayers). The only one I have direct experience with is Baca, and it wasn't for a shifter. I suggest joining the FB group and asking for recommendations there.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hi - I have no mechanical ability and am receiving the MGW shifter in a couple weeks (processing time, since I ordered and they're backlogged). Looking for recommendations from someone who has positive things to say* about having gotten it installed it at a shop. I'm looking for a shop within 50-70miles of DFW (I live in the Plano area).

*(not just random listings I can google myself)

• What year mustang did you have it done on?
  • Rough idea of total/labor price* (ok if you prefer to PM-me, instead of posting publicly)
  • Name of the shop you had it installed at
  • Person who did the install
  • Anything go particularly right or wrong? or any other advice you have for me?
I'm one month into owning and enjoying the heck out of my first Mustang and first manual car..... a 2016 GT V8 convertible new-to-me with 40K miles.

I am experiencing an occasional grind from 1-2 (remedied when I double-clutch and/or go into Neutral for three-fourths-of-a-second), and occasionally miss the shift (feels like lock out) especially from 5-4. I drive it gently and rarely shifter over 4K or 4.5K RPM although now that I just added a Rousch axle-back exhaust I really enjoy getting up to 4K in 2nd and 3rd. Multiple Five Star Ford mechanics drove the vehicle and "could find nothing wrong" with the shifting/MT-82. They recommended I not change the trans. fluid especially to what I'm soon intending -- the BG syncro II -- lest it void my factory warranty.

2445936-24-revo.jpg

2445936-45-revo.jpg
Great shifter! You'll love it! Labor prices vary shop to shop. If you need any other mods such as a custom shifter ball check us out here at www.lethalperformance.com

OP
OP
maximizer

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
Three DFW area places that get good reviews on the DFWS550 Facebook group are Farmuh Performance (Kyle Farmar), Baca Performance (Frank Rodriguez), and Paramount Speed (Michael Ayers). The only one I have direct experience with is Baca, and it wasn't for a shifter. I suggest joining the FB group and asking for recommendations there.
Thanks, I sent a Facebook join request!

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
You'll love it. It was the first thing I did on my '14 and it was like driving a different car. Still love it 6 years later. And it still feels great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
maximizer

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
You'll love it. It was the first thing I did on my '14 and it was like driving a different car. Still love it 6 years later. And it still feels great.
Thanks, I'm super excited and hoping to find a high quality shop to do the install. No other vehicle I've owned has brought the level of joy that this car has. The stock shifter is the only downside..

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
OP
OP
maximizer

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
Posting an update... I had the mgw short racing shifter installed, at the same time put in an RST McLeod clutch and the BG synchro shift fluid swap, and raceseng knob. I’m extremely happy and it feels like a whole new car. Totally worth it and I highly recommend. The grinding crunchy shifting issues are gone and it shifts like butter, even when cold. I’m super super happy and feel the extremely high cost and install time is worth it.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Nice car. I can agree with the first recommendation of MidwayJ, which is Kyle Farmuh. (Farmuh Performance). He does just about any Mustang upgrade you want, and does it right. I've had my GT350 for 4 years and trust him 100% with it. That's saying something because I won't take it back to a Ford shop. At least not the 4 I've been to in the Dallas area over the last 15 years. He is also a former and present owner of Mustangs, which is really what you want on these cars. He does the work himself and beats most shops on price. Very low overhead. He's close to you in Garland.

P.S. I switched to BG syncro II on my GT350 right after break in miles were done. I beat the crap out of the Tremec on track days. And other days. It's almost impossible to tell the difference between tranny fluids by sight once some miles are on them. I'm sold on it and Amsoil in the crankcase.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maximizer

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
Nice car. I can agree with the first recommendation of MidwayJ, which is Kyle Farmuh. (Farmuh Performance). He does just about any Mustang upgrade you want, and does it right. I've had my GT350 for 4 years and trust him 100% with it. That's saying something because I won't take it back to a Ford shop. At least not the 4 I've been to in the Dallas area over the last 15 years. He is also a former and present owner of Mustangs, which is really what you want on these cars. He does the work himself and beats most shops on price. Very low overhead. He's close to you in Garland.

P.S. I switched to BG syncro II on my GT350 right after break in miles were done. I beat the crap out of the Tremec on track days. And other days. It's almost impossible to tell the difference between tranny fluids by sight once some miles are on them. I'm sold on it and Amsoil in the crankcase.
the BG Syncro Shift was worth the hype. combined with an mgw shifter, a new clutch, and a weighted knob, it completely knocked out all my shifting woes, even at 43k miles with the stock MT82 trans. Had to put a lot of money into it, but i feel like the car is now what i wanted it to be all along.

1603246233639.png

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
the BG Syncro Shift was worth the hype. combined with an mgw shifter, a new clutch, and a weighted knob, it completely knocked out all my shifting woes, even at 43k miles with the stock MT82 trans. Had to put a lot of money into it, but i feel like the car is now what i wanted it to be all along.

1603246233639.png
Who installed your shifter?
Sponsored