Sponsored

DailyDriver Truck(2020+) capable of towing your stang

JalxLuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Just curious what some of you are running lately as both daily-driver and occasional tow rig?

My All Terrain Sierra 1500 has been great over the years but struggles controlling any weight more than an enclosed trailer with my Harley. Creeping up 125k miles, I'm thinking it's the right time for an upgrade while it can still offer some trade/selling value. As much fun as it would be to roam around in something like a focus or subaru wrx, I'm strongly considering making the switch back to diesel (as I had a 2500HD duramax previously) for several reasons:
1) Commute to work typically 45 minutes each way in NJ roads and traffic (and I'm in construction).
2) Planning on towing my 350r to out-of-state Track Days/weekends and the family will want to be able to come along for the trip comfortably. (Fiancé gets car sick in the stang after an hour and we have a baby on the way).
3) Haul Harley or 350r to Florida for our winter getaway.
4) Homeowner
5) Last hoorah before diesel becomes dead?

-Has anyone had experience with the new half ton diesel pick-ups towing our cars for long hauls?
-Wondering if an F250 Superduty or 25000HD is overkill or just better-off safe than sorry?
-Finally with so many opinions out there depending on what you're reading or hearing, but so many people have already warned me to stay away from the new powerstrokes. Which sucks since the new Ford is probably my favorite exterior styling of the big 3.
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Just curious what some of you are running lately as both daily-driver and occasional tow rig?

My All Terrain Sierra 1500 has been great over the years but struggles controlling any weight more than an enclosed trailer with my Harley. Creeping up 125k miles, I'm thinking it's the right time for an upgrade while it can still offer some trade/selling value. As much fun as it would be to roam around in something like a focus or subaru wrx, I'm strongly considering making the switch back to diesel (as I had a 2500HD duramax previously) for several reasons:
1) Commute to work typically 45 minutes each way in NJ roads and traffic (and I'm in construction).
2) Planning on towing my 350r to out-of-state Track Days/weekends and the family will want to be able to come along for the trip comfortably. (Fiancé gets car sick in the stang after an hour and we have a baby on the way).
3) Haul Harley or 350r to Florida for our winter getaway.
4) Homeowner
5) Last hoorah before diesel becomes dead?

-Has anyone had experience with the new half ton diesel pick-ups towing our cars for long hauls?
-Wondering if an F250 Superduty or 25000HD is overkill or just better-off safe than sorry?
-Finally with so many opinions out there depending on what you're reading or hearing, but so many people have already warned me to stay away from the new powerstrokes. Which sucks since the new Ford is probably my favorite exterior styling of the big 3.
All of the new diesels are going to have issues because of all the emmissions equipment wrapped onto them. I am not fond of one over the other. I currently have a 6.7 and a 6.4 which have both been deleted since new and knock on wood, never had a problem.

OP
OP
JalxLuc

JalxLuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
All of the new diesels are going to have issues because of all the emmissions equipment wrapped onto them. I am not fond of one over the other. I currently have a 6.7 and a 6.4 which have both been deleted since new and knock on wood, never had a problem.
I know what you mean. My first diesel was a 7.3L and nothing like those trucks anymore.

Which of your trucks do you use to tow more?

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
My daily is a 2012 F250 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Diesel. Has 94,000 on it now. Doesn't care what you put behind it to pull. No issues, great truck.

20190919_144613.jpg

Sponsored

jmack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2002 F-250 7.3 PSD
If you're towing the 350R in an enclosed trailer, definitely get a 3/4 ton. You would probably be well over the payload limit of a half ton with the tongue weight of a 3000lb+ enclosed trailer, car, fuel, and tires, plus yourself, wife, and travel supplies.

I'd go with a 7.3 gasser if I was buying a new truck. Between issues with emission systems and general cost of ownership, I can't see myself getting another diesel if my 7.3 Powerstroke ever dies.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
If you're towing the 350R in an enclosed trailer, definitely get a 3/4 ton. You would probably be well over the payload limit of a half ton with the tongue weight of a 3000lb+ enclosed trailer, car, fuel, and tires, plus yourself, wife, and travel supplies.

I'd go with a 7.3 gasser if I was buying a new truck. Between issues with emission systems and general cost of ownership, I can't see myself getting another diesel if my 7.3 Powerstroke ever dies.
7.3 was a great, reliable motor. I still have a flatbed 7.3. Had a 2002 also that we sold when we bought the 2010 6.4 f250 and 2012 6.7 f250. They have both been just as reliable for me as the 7.3s. The 6.7 tows the best but it wont run with the 6.4. The newer 6.7s are supposed to be pretty hot though deleted and tuned.

Joeblowv1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2005 F150 FX4
Again probably over the payload, but an "interesting option" is the Diesel v6 PowerStroke available on 2018+ half ton trucks. I know you're using a half ton now and looking for a little more grunt. No real world experience with the motor though just a suggestion on an alternative.

Could probably "get by" with a half ton, but if you can afford a 3/4, why not? My buddy has a 2016 with the 6.7 and he settled on that after doing a "a lot of research" he loves it and has no issues. The truck is daily driven. Not sure if its emissions deleted, but probably is knowing him.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I would go 250 and up. Anything less can pull the load, its more about control and stopping with that load. We have towed to FL quite a bit and the 250 was very comfortable, plenty of room and can run 70 + with no issues. I did install trailer brakes on the Harleys trailer just for extra stopping and control.

OP
OP
JalxLuc

JalxLuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I would go 250 and up. Anything less can pull the load, its more about control and stopping with that load. We have towed to FL quite a bit and the 250 was very comfortable, plenty of room and can run 70 + with no issues. I did install trailer brakes on the Harleys trailer just for extra stopping and control.

Yeah this definitely applies to me especially when involving the safety and comfort of others in the truck traveling with me. My 1500 could potentially pull it with sufficient power but it's everything else of which you mention that's an issue (braking, suspension, comfort, sway control, etc) which I worry in other half ton trucks if they haven't really much changed.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a 2018 F-150 4x4 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. When I first was looking for a truck, I new I wanted a F-150, and after research, I went with the 3.5 Ecoboost, it actually had the highest tow rating of any of the engine options available for the F-150. Eventually I plan on buying a travel trailer, just need to pay the truck off first. That being said, the last two summers, my wife and I have rented a travel trailer for a week and vacationed in California. Both trailers were right around 8,000 pounds. Truck handled it no problem, and both trips were middle of summer with portions of the trip in 110 degree temps up some pretty steep grades. Both summers total miles towed was between 1,300 and 1,400. Towing capacity of my truck is just under 13,000 pounds, but I think 10,000 would be the most I would tow with it because of tongue weight. If you are planning a flat bed trailer, half ton is worth a look, but towing an enclosed trailer, I would go 3/4 ton.

My F-150 is also my daily driver, commute to work is about 45 miles round trip, 80% freeway, 20% roads and I average just under 19 mpg. Of course, towing the rental trailers, it only averaged between 9 and 12 mpg. It really is a great truck and no issues so far, have almost 23,000 miles on it.

Doug
Sponsored