Sponsored

Daily driving a mustang

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
If my mustang is my DD would it be smarter to keep it basically stock? I mean I only really want the Ford performance pack and either a axle back or cat back anyway. I’m just curious, can aftermarket things reduce the life of your car/engine since it wasnt designed to have it or do that ridiculous amount of hp?
Sponsored

Last edited:

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
If my mustang is my DD would it be smarter to keep it basically stock? I mean I only really want the Ford performance pack and either a axle back or cat back anyway. I’m just curious, can aftermarket things reduce the life of your car/engine since it was designed to have it or do that ridiculous amount of hp?
There is nothing wrong with daily driving a modified Mustang, as long as your modifications are well planned and executed. I daily drove my 850rwhp twin-turbo 2010 GT500 an average of 300 miles a week on pump gas for three years with no problems. As with anything you modify, there could be tradeoffs but if you don't just throw a bunch of random parts at the car and instead have a well thought out objective, you should be fine.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....can aftermarket things reduce the life of your car/engine since it was designed to have it or do that ridiculous amount of hp?

LOL!!!!........wut???

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
If my mustang is my DD would it be smarter to keep it basically stock?
Of course it would.

If you're being strictly practical though, you'd buy a safe, reliable, fuel efficient, and joyless appliance car to daily drive. You bought a Mustang though so.....

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I drove mine daily 'til I bought the Escape, so sixteen months or so.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I keep mine stock because I don't feel like working on it 😎

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I daily mine and I'm on E85, no worries about it being a daily at all. It's just a normal car... it isn't some rare fragile car.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If my mustang is my DD would it be smarter to keep it basically stock? I mean I only really want the Ford performance pack and either a axle back or cat back anyway. I’m just curious, can aftermarket things reduce the life of your car/engine since it wasnt designed to have it or do that ridiculous amount of hp?
Are you asking about the Ecoboost in your signature?
Is it still under warranty?
Can you afford to fix it if it fails catastrophically?

How much power is really needed for a DD?
Wants and needs are often at odds though.

Very generally speaking a stock vehicle is going to be more reliable than a modded one, of course some modded cars never have a problem and some stock cars are nothing but problems. The more drastically one is modded the higher the possibility of problems.
Stock cars can go a couple hundred thousand miles without issue.
Dragsters putting out 10k HP need to be rebuilt after driving 1000 feet, sometimes much less.

The mods you listed are very mild and I wouldn't expect them to impact it's longevity or reliability.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I daily mine with just a few mods. Fuel efficiency is nil but its fun and comfortable/reliable

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
For what you want it should be reliable and safe. If you need even more power a GT would get you there with warranty though and would sound nicer. But the fuel economy would go down a bit.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Drive mine every day, and my normal commute to work is 5 miles one-way. I did not buy this to look at and not mod or drive. Just warm it up before you drive it hard.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Are you asking about the Ecoboost in your signature?
Is it still under warranty?
Can you afford to fix it if it fails catastrophically?

How much power is really needed for a DD?
Wants and needs are often at odds though.

Very generally speaking a stock vehicle is going to be more reliable than a modded one, of course some modded cars never have a problem and some stock cars are nothing but problems. The more drastically one is modded the higher the possibility of problems.
Stock cars can go a couple hundred thousand miles without issue.
Dragsters putting out 10k HP need to be rebuilt after driving 1000 feet, sometimes much less.

The mods you listed are very mild and I wouldn't expect them to impact it's longevity or reliability.
Drive mine every day, and my normal commute to work is 5 miles one-way. I did not buy this to look at and not mod or drive. Just warm it up before you drive it hard.
I like having a warranty.id check with dealer before anything major,like supercharger,except for Ford installed Roush.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...he dealers want to try,warranty due to a tune.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I mean it depends on the modifications.

Aside from lowering my car an inch, all my mods don't affect the reliability and dailyability of the car.

I wouldn't go crazy on a car unless it had another car as a daily.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Tuned since 4,000 miles, full bolt ons, E85, and 18 manifold and no issues in the 4 years I've owned it. Not daily driven since I'm at around 19,300 miles but if I had to drive it more, I wouldn't be worried one bit.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
people talk about this car like they are made of soap... "i'm gonna run out of car if i use it too much"

yes, you can mod it, just do it properly

yes, you can daily drive it, it's not a Laferrari aperta or a P1

people with mustangs who worry about mpg, should sell the mustang and buy a prius...
Sponsored