Cylinder scoring on 2019 BULLITT

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Well, I’ve been putting up with the rattle since nearly new. The dealers insist this is normal for this engine.

So I took it to my old mechanic who is one of the best around, and he did a boroscope.
All 8 cylinders are scored to various degrees.
Another visit with the dealer and they still insist they find nothing wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Yes sir, that’s exactly what I plan to do.
They have no excuse to ignore me now once I show them the photos. ;)

Sponsored

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No offence but I just don't get the point of going through all the effort of taking it to another mechanic and paying for this procedure. Drive the hell out of it and if it lets go ford will fix it. I get that the "rattle" would be annoying (mine hasn't developed one as of yet) but the car has a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty... if this is a legitimate problem theres plenty of time to have it sorted out. If my car it destined for a new engine I'd rather it replaced when its got 40k on it and start fresh!...

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
No offence but I just don't get the point of going through all the effort of taking it to another mechanic and paying for this procedure. Drive the hell out of it and if it lets go ford will fix it. I get that the "rattle" would be annoying (mine hasn't developed one as of yet) but the car has a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty... if this is a legitimate problem theres plenty of time to have it sorted out. If my car it destined for a new engine I'd rather it replaced when its got 40k on it and start fresh!...
Well no one wants to drive with an engine that sounds like dimes in a tin can.

But yeah I'd have demanded they scoped the engines, not taken it to another place and have them do it. I also would NOT tell ford that I had another shop look.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Usually piston slap, which would be by the pistons or bore being out of spec.
Or someone didn't get the ring gaps set right, ring upside down, ... I've seen more of this type of scoring from ring issues than bore problems, but agree piston/rod alignment relative to the bore can cause this. Honing looks nice, at least Ford did something right.

OP, sorry to see this; good luck with the dealer

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I also would NOT tell ford that I had another shop look.
Why? Fiberoptic and USB scopes aren't that expensive. Lots of folks have them He could have done it himself. What could Ford do about it?

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because I wouldnt want to give them ANY opening to find for not covering it. I'd rather pay for them to look and have them find nothing.
What possible opening are you giving them by saying you pulled a plug and looked in the cylinder with a boroscope? Why waste their time and yours playing around pretending that you don't know what the problem is? For that matter, why give them the opportunity to go play with something that isn't broken trying to figure out the problem and have them screw up some other part of the engine in the process?

You're dealing with a car manufacturer that's been replacing engines under warranty for this problem, not some "Buy here! / Borrow here! / Pay here!" lot in the scummy part of town..

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
What possible opening are you giving them by saying you pulled a plug and looked in the cylinder with a boroscope? Why waste their time and yours playing around pretending that you don't know what the problem is? For that matter, why give them the opportunity to go play with something that isn't broken trying to figure out the problem and have them screw up some other part of the engine in the process?

You're dealing with a car manufacturer that's been replacing engines under warranty for this problem, not some "Buy here! / Borrow here! / Pay here!" lot in the scummy part of town..
You act like big brands don't act shady all the time.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You act like big brands don't act shady all the time.
They don't act shady all the time, nor even most of the time. Do some dealers? Sure. Then you go find another. Hills are full of them.

Did GM like taking back my wife's Cavalier (which I think may have been the first GM car ever lemoned in MA)? No. Took some prodding, but they did it. Did Ford like replacing the engine in her Sable? Beats me, but that's what they offered to do when we brought it in to have a running issue looked at.

Now, some people find that every business they deal with treats them badly. A friend of mine said the same thing about his first 4 wives. After the 2nd or 3rd, it was time to stop blaming the women.

Last edited:

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It appears everyone is missing the point: Ford doesn't deny warranty on a blown up engine.... Theres plenty of warranty on these cars so don't worry about it until you have a legit issue ie; oil consumption, connecting rod out the side of the block etc etc... then take it to the dealer and have it fixed.
Sponsored