Sponsored

CyberSecurity field - Seeking input from entry or anyone transitioning into the field

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Hi everyone, I am interested in speaking with anyone who is either entering the CyberSecurity field or transitioning into it. I would like to ask a few questions as I am performing some market research and would be interested in speaking to anyone who has a few minutes to answer a few questions.

I am interested in speaking with anyone trying to enter the IT/Cybersecurity field.

Please message me or reply to this post and I will follow up.

Thank you,
Chris
Sponsored

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm happy to help. I've been doing systems engineering and cyber security for fifteen years. I hold a CISSP, ISSEP, CCSP, and CISM. Shoot me your questions, and I'll try to answer as best I can.

JR

OP
OP
Chris2020GT500

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'm happy to help. I've been doing systems engineering and cyber security for fifteen years. I hold a CISSP, ISSEP, CCSP, and CISM. Shoot me your questions, and I'll try to answer as best I can.

JR
Thank you, I will send you a PM with some questions to gather some feedback.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The companies I deal with are returning to the mainframe for critical data because you can't hack a mainframe, among other reasons. That will eventually impact cyber security.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
The companies I deal with are returning to the mainframe for critical data because you can't hack a mainframe, among other reasons. That will eventually impact cyber security.
I hope they don't believe a mainframe cant be hacked. Lenscrafters

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I hope they don't believe a mainframe cant be hacked. Lenscrafters
It's complicated, but many mainframe users are essentially turning them into big servers, which opens them to the same issues you have with any server. However, if you funnel all access through CICS and TSO there is no hacking problem. I could give you my TSO ID and password and you would not be able to accomplish a thing.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
There are people that you wouldn't want to hand it too.
If you believe that, you are not familiar with mainframe operating system architecture. There is no way they would be able to access production data or execute a program. Mainframes do not have file suffixes that invoke automatic program execution.

Just to be clear, I am referring to an IBM zOS machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris2020GT500

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
...So....just to clarify, I am looking for input from anyone who is "new" to the IT or Cybersecurity field. I've been in the field for over 20 years, so I am looking for input on what issues people have come across while entering the field.

If anyone has input to offer, please message me as I would greatly appreciate insight from anyone new to the field.

Thanks!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am NOT new to computer security. I have been involved in it for over 40 years. So, I really can't help you. I just wanted you to know companies are starting to return to mainframe systems that can not be compromised. That will ultimately affect cyber security.

OP
OP
Chris2020GT500

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I am NOT new to computer security. I have been involved in it for over 40 years. So, I really can't help you. I just wanted you to know companies are starting to return to mainframe systems that can not be compromised. That will ultimately affect cyber security.
No worries!
Sponsored