Sponsored

CVF Aluminum Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit Installation Review

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I attempted to install the CVF Aluminum Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit on Saturday along with the CVF Street Intercooler (see separate review). My stang is a 2019. The reason I'm doing a separate review of the charge pipe kit is I didn't want my negative experience with this kit to affect my review of the intercooler. So, pretty obvious that I was not impressed with the charge pipe kit. Here are my observations:

1. Removal of the factory charge pipes was very simple.
2. When I attempted to install the factory BOV to the hot side charge pipe, I had to use 4 washers on each of the factory bolts as they would not fully bolt in to the CVF charge pipe.
3. There are no instructions included in the kit. I emailed CVF and asked for instructions but never did receive them.
4. Neither of the pipes was labelled to indicate which end goes to the turbo or throttle body. The factory pipes are labelled. This is not an issue on the hot side as it's obvious, not so much on the cold side, where it's easy to install the pipe backwards (see number 8 below).
5. There are 4 rubber sleeves and again none are labelled. It's obvious which sleeve goes on the turbo, the throttle body and the two intercooler inlets. What is not obvious is which end of the intercooler sleeves connect to the intercooler versus the charge pipe. So its all trail and error to figure out which end goes on what and then at what angle so it will line up with the charge pipe. A totally frustrating and time consuming process.
6. My suggestion is for CVF to label the intercooler sleeves and provide alignment marks on the sleeve and intercooler to at least give the installer a starting point.
7. After a couple of hours of adjustments, including getting out and under the car countless times, I did get the hot side charge pipe adjusted and installed correctly.
8. It now seemed that the cold side piping should be much easier. I was incorrect. I worked for another couple of hours trying to get the sleeves positioned correctly, including installing the pipe backwards, but I just could not get that pipe to fit.
9. I decide to reinstall the nicely labelled and correctly designed factory cold air pipe. Install took 15 minutes. The CVF cold air piping went back in the box. I can't imagine what kind of gains I'd have to see to try to install that PITA pipe again.

My advice is to buy the CVF intercooler and just use the factory piping.
Sponsored