***Customer Warning - My personal experiences with MAPerformance***

sb1racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
(Sorry this got long but wanted it to be informative)

So a lot of you are familiar with my build that I contracted MAPerformance to build. Worked with Adam Brunson when he was formerly employed there, now has moved on to start TUNE+ and is doing his own thing. I was amazed at the customer service I received from Adam when he was working there, that I decided to drop my car off at MAPerformance for a complete build. The goal was to run 9's, make over 700hp, still keeping it a daily driver, getting 30mpg and attend the first Ecoboost Shootout of the year down in Florida, March 3-6. So dropped the car off last year @ MAPerformance before snow hit to make sure they had time to do a complete build and have it ready by sometime in February.

Well long story short it got pushed to the very end and we didn't make the Bradenton NMRA race. This was very disappointing as that was the goal of even doing the build. The car was close but one of the newly installed sleeves that MAPerformance put in dropped!! This caused a lot of damage and was basically due to the sleeves being improperly installed. I was told the sleeves simply "settled" but after talking to Billy Glidden who is a long time friend and built all my V8's, he said that's BS and laughed. So anyhow we missed the race and I don't hear from anyone for weeks again! Shoot emails, make calls and even send Facebook messages that were read but never responded to. I began to get fairly irritated and basically said I'm coming to get the car complete or not. So they scramble and get the car together and I go to pick it up.

Unfortunately we have it on the dyno and the car just doesn't have enough fuel with the MAPerformance Dual Injector TB setup. So I leave with the car, partially done but still needing a LOT of work. Adam broke his neck and busted his A$$ to design and install a 100% E85 fuel system good to 1000WHP!! This truly transformed the car, it was so smooth and just had fuel for days!! So we take it back up to MAPerformance to see what it will do. Well unfortunately once we started getting over 600hp it popped the OEM $12 head gasket :(

So now I'm a bit frustrated after spending months trying to get this car done, driving back-and-forth to Minnesota 3-times (1400+ mile trip) and spending over $15k with MAPerformance. All along I've been 110% understanding, having complained or sad anything bad whatsoever. I knew this wasn't going to be a simple build and I've done enough crazy cars in the past to know things don't always go smoothly, especially when you're pushing the bar so high. Which again I understand and isn't an issue, however I expect any reputable company to stand behind everything they build and sell. Once again I leave the car in Minnesota so MAPerformance can replace the head gasket with a new one that Adam is having custom made for the car!!! I would really expect MAPerformance to have done this initially when they built this huge horsepower, big $$$ engine that no expense was spared on!?!?! Instead Adam at TUNE+ steps in and gets a proper head gasket made.... Interesting...

Further more every other reputable shop I've spoken with was just floored they used a stock headgasket and small studs to make upwards of 800hp & 40lbs+ of boost! Everyone said that will NEVER live without a good headgasket and some 1/2" studs, O-Rings were also recommended by most of them. Again pushing the envelope things happen and you learn along the way. Although that's why you partner with a large company that you believe will get the job done for you!!

NOW this is where things get interesting / BAD!!! So I leave the car there Saturday morning and drive over 700 miles home. Now I'm expecting to get the car back within a week or two so I can attend the 2nd Ecoboost Shootout in Ohio, coming up in a few weeks. Well a couple days go by and I don't hear anything. Start calling and sending messages and still no response. Well now it's almost a week and still haven't heard a single thing and I'm getting irritated. So once again Adam steps up and drives up to MAPerformance for me to see what's going on with the car. Well evidently they've now decided NOT to work on it, they refuse to touch it!?!?!?! They're too busy fabricating parts and can't help me at all. Granted I just spent another $1500 there last week while I was in town and left my car there a week ago to do a fairly small job!! So now I've lost a week of time to get the car fixed, left it 700 miles away and will have to pay someone to go bring it back to Michigan (I'm leaving town & have no time to go) so I can get another shop to work on it!!! I mean are you flipping serious?!?! Is that really how you treat customers that have spent over $15k with you?!?!?! Well I'll certainly NEVER buy anything else from MAPerformance again, PERIOD! Not even if it's free or they pay me to take it.

Like I told them they could have at least gave me the courtesy of telling me they couldn't help me before I left my car and drove 700 miles home! At that point I would have been fairly disappointed but have plenty of large race shops in Michigan that could have taken care of it for me. Not completely furious as now I'm going out of town, don't have time to get my car, get it fixed and make the next race. Fortunately Pande's Performance sent a guy last night to Minnesota to get my car and bring it back today. I've known & worked with them for 20+ years and they build some amazing huge horsepower cars! Certainly don't specialize in these small 4-bangers but they've already purchased one to build and have worked on mine. They'll be ripping the engine out, tearing it down and rebuilding it properly with 1/2" Studs, new headgasket, etc...

So we'll continue to push the Eco Bar a LOT further very soon hopefully!! Between Adam @ Tune+ & Pande's Performance I believe we can crush 700hp on E85 and still be a tame daily driver, maybe even squeak into the 9s!!

So just a warning before you spend your hard earned $$$ with MAPerformance I would seriously look into better alternatives!! A company that will stand behind what they sell and take care of their customers!!
Sponsored

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
Like I said on the Facebook page of course there will be problems but MAP should have definitely stepped up and kept you in the loop. Something as simple as that could have kept u as a customer.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
After reading this dribble my butt hurts ....Hope that you will be getting better collaborations in your distant future for your way to distant goals ...............

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Like I said on the Facebook page of course there will be problems but MAP should have definitely stepped up and kept you in the loop. Something as simple as that could have kept u as a customer.
Exactly this... And, I think you've been more than understanding with them.

It'd be nice to have [MENTION=13414]MAPerformance[/MENTION] explain their side, but... Honestly, if you can't provide good CS, then your products lose a ton of points. I'd gladly pay what it takes to get good CS/experience. If that can't be provided, it's time to move on.

Good luck getting things sorted out.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
It's one of those things say they did do the unthinkable and did give up on his build. They might lose him as a customer but there are things they could have done for him so they don't lose other customers. Pay for the tow, refund some of the money and the most important thing offer an apology. I think people forget sometimes the simplest things go the farthest. And for everyone reading my post don't think I'm a typical Adam nutt swinger trying to bash a different company. I call it like I see it and honestly I go at him probably harder than any other vendor on this forum lol. BUT with that said he sure did step up here so for that he gets a thumbs up.

But definitely would love to hear MAPs side of the story

Sponsored

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
Bummer, I think we got spoiled with the customer service when Adam B was there.

The sleeved blocks seem to be having problems, I know of 3, yours dropped, another cracked a sleeve. Be a nice setup when they got them figured out.
Good luck, can't wait to hear how it runs when finished

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it works out. What's Pande's Performance plan for their Ecoboost-(if you know.)

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
For the HP you are looking for, they appear to be out of their depth.

With the R&D Livernois is doing, they would be my choice for hard parts to make it live.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
There are two sides to every story, interesting to see what MAP has to say.
No doubt Greg, these high HP ecoboost builds are on the edge with DI in the mix.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
For the HP you are looking for, they appear to be out of their depth.

With the R&D Livernois is doing, they would be my choice for hard parts to make it live.

[MENTION=23015]Weather Man[/MENTION] thank you for the mention, and we do work tirelessly to produce the best support possible.

[MENTION=16755]sb1racing[/MENTION], if you are still unsuccessful in your endeavour we will be glad to help you attain your goals!
Sponsored