OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yeah I saw that graph. I'm confusing what the correct pattern and the incorrect pattern is. lol

The knob is going on a MGW shifter.

I'll let Austin know......thank you for the input.
MGW GT350 shifters have both thread pitches, the M12x1.25 is on the bottom part of the threads and the M10x1.25 is on the top part. I have my knob mounted to the top part and the MGW OEM Knob Adapter (which is M12x1.25) on the bottom part.

You may not get away with trying to mount the knob to the lower part of the threads with M12x1.25, the knob may bottom out and not reach the bottom M12x1.25 threads, or it may not have enough thread engagement.
Sponsored

roycemek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
MGW GT350 shifters have both thread pitches, the M12x1.25 is on the bottom part of the threads and the M10x1.25 is on the top part. I have my knob mounted to the top part and the MGW OEM Knob Adapter (which is M12x1.25) on the bottom part.

You may not get away with trying to mount the knob to the lower part of the threads with M12x1.25, the knob may bottom out and not reach the bottom M12x1.25 threads, or it may not have enough thread engagement.
Do you know if the threads are cut directly into the knob or is there a replaceable insert where we can change the threads?

I'm a little confused too on which thread pitch to order. I've placed my order with Austin and I explicitly told him I have the MGW shifter on a GT350R and his comment was "As far as I know the MGW shifter is indeed 12 x 1.25".

I also have the MGW OEM knob adapter and the OEM knob GT350 knob on my MGW shifter. I'm wondering which combination would work best or at least provide the best flexibility.

Thanks for any input.

Royce M

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Do you know if the threads are cut directly into the knob or is there a replaceable insert where we can change the threads?

I'm a little confused too on which thread pitch to order. I've placed my order with Austin and I explicitly told him I have the MGW shifter on a GT350R and his comment was "As far as I know the MGW shifter is indeed 12 x 1.25".

I also have the MGW OEM knob adapter and the OEM knob GT350 knob on my MGW shifter. I'm wondering which combination would work best or at least provide the best flexibility.

Thanks for any input.

Royce M
There's a replaceable insert. I just sent Billetworkz an email about this. The MGW shifter has both thread pitches, but for OEM style knobs with a reverse lockout pocket (that require the use of the MGW OEM knob adapter) you definitely want M10x1.25 on the knob, since that's what's on the top part of the MGW shifter threads.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just came in the mail today and I couldn’t be happier. I went with the same setup as the OP. I almost went with black fill but I’m glad I didn’t. The raw engravings are plenty dark and super crisp. Thanks again to @Spart for doing all of the legwork.
3B3400B8-D073-4DA3-80DC-98D486257D9B.jpeg
15CDE2B5-A9B6-440A-929B-8A6E1F99DAB5.jpeg
C3EA4A05-F023-41AB-B3AD-B0890A08BF11.jpeg
2B2B1F59-BD86-4123-9011-8E234E625AEA.jpeg

Can they do one with the cobra facing the same way as the ones on the front, back and steering wheel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Can they do one with the cobra facing the same way as the ones on the front, back and steering wheel?
They can, but they shouldn't.

Any time the cobra appears on the side of the vehicle, it should face forward.

Take a look at the emblem on the driver's side of the new GT500 and see which way it faces.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
I have to ask. Does the torque required to remove the stock shift knob damage the shifter mechanisms and or the transmission in any way? Has anyone reported such an issue?

I ordered one of these beauties before I even took delivery of my car. I still haven't installed it. I'm reluctant to hulk off the stock knob in fear of fucking something else up to put it bluntly. Causing cosmetic damage to the stock knob is meaningless to me if it comes off without any damage or issues to the more expensive gear it connects to.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have to ask. Does the torque required to remove the stock shift knob damage the shifter mechanisms and or the transmission in any way? Has anyone reported such an issue?

I ordered one of these beauties before I even took delivery of my car. I still haven't installed it. I'm reluctant to hulk off the stock knob in fear of fucking something else up to put it bluntly. Causing cosmetic damage to the stock knob is meaningless to me if it comes off without any damage or issues to the more expensive gear it connects to.
YMMV, but I was able to take the stock knob off both my GT and GT350 by hand.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

I used a strap wrench and a towel wrapped around the knob - absolutely no damage to the knob or stalk.

Last edited:

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
I used a strap wrench and a towel wrapped around the knob - absolutely no damage to the knob or stalk.
Did you have to use an unusual amount of force to get it to back off? By hand, I can get it 1/8 of a turn.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Did you have to use an unusual amount of force to get it to back off? By hand, I can get it 1/8 of a turn.
No. I was amazed I couldn't get it to move by hand but with the towel and strap wrench, it came off with minimal effort.

Kinda glad it did. I've seen pics of folks who've chewed theirs up using channelocks and the such.

Voodoo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 GT350 & 2023 Ford Raptor
Mine actually sheared at the start of the threads, so it was an excuse to upgrade the shifter. If you don't care to do that then I would exercise caution. Mine unfortunately obviously had a lot of thread lock used :)

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Mine actually sheared at the start of the threads, so it was an excuse to upgrade the shifter. If you don't care to do that then I would exercise caution. Mine unfortunately obviously had a lot of thread lock used :)
That couldn’t have been a very fun surprise for what should have been a simple job.

I knew someone had to have suffered damage trying to get this damn knob off. I’m very cautious and take my time. I certainly don’t want to snap the shifter rod. I paused after feeling the amount of torque this was going to require.

I haven’t used a strap wrench yet. If it doesn’t come off somewhat easy with the leverage of the wrench, stock knob will stay.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Was your car used? I don't believe they put on threadlocker at the factory, but I could be wrong.