Custom GT350 knob from Billetworkz

Rix350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
That looks pretty spot on! Would you say like 99% close? Any issues with it getting hot in the sun?
It’s a 99% match along with the magnetic accents. I’m sure it will get hot when summer get here. My car stays mostly garaged at work and home. They sell “beanie covers” for them. I have a small suede rag for sunglasses that could be used to throw on top if parked in the sun on a hot day.

TBLGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST and 22 GT500
It’s a 99% match along with the magnetic accents. I’m sure it will get hot when summer get here. My car stays mostly garaged at work and home. They sell “beanie covers” for them. I have a small suede rag for sunglasses that could be used to throw on top if parked in the sun on a hot day.
Any
any more info on your install experience?

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Any issues with it getting hot in the sun?
I haven't noticed my white knob getting uncomfortably hot, ever. I do garage the car and I don't drive it to work and leave it out in the parking lot all day. But I've had it out on hot days and it hasn't been a problem. The track day I went to last year was triple digit heat, but of course I had the windows down all day.

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Normally don't leave the car out in the sun all day, but there are those days I take it out and leave it while I have lunch somewhere, etc and will sit for a few hours. Don't want to remember to throw the beanie on it

Rix350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Any

any more info on your install experience?
The install is easy. Removing the OEM knob is a PITA. I was afraid to put a heat gun in my car, a blow dryer for 10 minutes helped break down the locktite. I used a strap wrench and a microfiber towel but still had a little damage. Also used a washer to get the alignment correct on the install. I learned all of this on this thread where a few people talk about setting the hight.

Rix350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
The install is easy. Removing the OEM knob is a PITA. I was afraid to put a heat gun in my car, a blow dryer for 10 minutes helped break down the locktite. I used a strap wrench and a microfiber towel but still had a little damage. Also used a washer to get the alignment correct on the install. I learned all of this on this thread where a few people talk about setting the hight.
Using a washer instead of the lock nut allowed for the knob to set a little lower.

TBLGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Using a washer instead of the lock nut allowed for the knob to set a little lower.
Good to know. I may just use loctite to get it low. Had to use adapter? Do you have a link to the washer trick?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Where can I get more info on this?
You just find a washer that will fit (stopping where the threads stop) and screw the knob all the way down. If it's perfect then you're set. It won't be though, so you'll need to remove everything, sand the washer, and repeat until you fine-tune the knob's position all the way down.

You could also use a thin nut as a jam nut with your threaded insert:

https://www.fastenal.com/product?query=11508476

TBLGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
You just find a washer that will fit (stopping where the threads stop) and screw the knob all the way down. If it's perfect then you're set. It won't be though, so you'll need to remove everything, sand the washer, and repeat until you fine-tune the knob's position all the way down.

You could also use a thin nut as a jam nut with your threaded insert:

https://www.fastenal.com/product?query=11508476
Wouldn’t it be much easier to just use loctite ?

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Wouldn’t it be much easier to just use loctite ?
Go ahead. Just be aware that the thread adapter that comes with the Billetworkz knob is very small and it won't be easy to get off. I don't recall if there are even flats on it.

Loctite is not for gluing parts together, it's for making sure they don't come loose.
Sponsored