Custom Gill DRL Imports for those wondering

SamH_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT V8 5.0L | Fastback | Customisation Pack
I have was chasing a few American companies about importing some American custom headlights to get the DRLs activated, I got in contact with The Lighting Firm who build headlights to your spec and ship them out as a swap.

then i realised that the beam patterns from the LHD would be dangerous on our roads, so i queried if they can get RHD Headlights and ship to the UK, after a few weeks this was their response.

uploadfromtaptalk1448374485357.jpg

Hope this helps some of you out

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Sponsored

CertoDimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A6 S-Line
Sure does.
Let us know when you get a quote pls.

OP
OP
SamH_

SamH_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Sure does.
Let us know when you get a quote pls.
will do, if its the same as the American prices then it'll be around $900 give or take depending what setup you decide on but $300 are refunded upon them recieving your old headlights back.

https://www.thelightingfirm.net/product/2015-ford-mustang-s550-custom-headlights/

thats the link for the American ones available at the moment to give you an idea of the options available.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Those are ace! :D

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Bear in mind you will either need to send them your own headlights first (let's be honest, who's going to want their car off the road for the best part of a month for this mod?), or you'll have to pay up front for a brand new pair of RHD units, and since a pair of US wing mirrors are up around $900, I can see headlights being well into four figures.

Then you have to factor in that when they receive a pair of LHD units as they do usually, they know they'll be able to use them for the next customer, but customers for RHD units are going to be pretty thin on the ground, so they'll have to build that risk into their price.

I can see this being a prohibitively expensive mod. Both financially and timewise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SamH_

SamH_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
thats the idea of the core swap, they build and send you the lights, you then return your old ones and get refunded 300 dollars.

this is from their website.

IF YOU SELECT ” CORE SWAP ” then the purchase price includes two OEM headlights (one pair). This feature requires the return of your stock headlights as part of our Trade Up program. This ensures that we keep costs as low as possible for you and customers alike! Ford lists the OEM headlights at over $1k per side just for the factory headlights so supplying new headlights straight up is just too much! Using our convenient Trade Up program ensures you receive a perfect OEM headlight, and the next set will come back and get refurbished and cleaned up for the next customer. Two year warranty included on all parts and labor! We include UPS return labels so shipping is covered on the ride back for your convenience. The $175 base price is the cost to open, and reseal the lights. The $299 gets refunded when you return your stock headlights!"

It will be expensive but i'd rather pay the money over attempting to install the gills myself, risking damaging the lights

OP
OP
SamH_

SamH_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
obviously pricing may be different for international shipping but we will find out soon enough

JB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
And don't forget to add the 20% donation for the HMRC.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Isn't it closer to 25% as you have VAT PLUS import tax?

Sam, that's what I mean, they'll cost a good few quid to send over here then you'll have to send yours back. You're probably looking at ÂŁ100/ÂŁ150 for the shipping charges on top of the conversion itself, which I'm guessing will cost more than their LHD work since the RHD market will be smaller.

I hope to be proven wrong!

OP
OP
SamH_

SamH_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
ah yeah I see what you mean, I've been looking for companies in the UK to contact but there are very few about and the ones i have found either require the car or the lights for multiple days.

obviously we wont know for certain until they start taking orders in the new year, but heres hoping they aren't as bad as ford when it come to hiking the price of importa up

Sponsored

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Duty and VAT equates to 24%. This is charged on the commodity AND the shipping!

Pulls my fcuking pin!!!

CertoDimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A6 S-Line
With this in mind, are you aware there will stil not be a Plug and Play option? EU ligts have different connectors, and DRL is power to lower 'parking'lights. Or have they managed that aswell?

OP
OP
SamH_

SamH_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
With this in mind, are you aware there will stil not be a Plug and Play option? EU ligts have different connectors, and DRL is power to lower 'parking'lights. Or have they managed that aswell?
i believe a seperate driver with a metre of wire comes with the DRL boards they use, they use the RGBW LED boards from diode dynamics when they build the lights up.
so you just need to link the driver into the DRL supply

CertoDimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A6 S-Line
Just to make sure you don't throw away your money, ask user cannigia. He's made an entire swap (or even several). Not saying it won't work, but better safe than sorry.
Sponsored