Sponsored

Custom exhaust for EcoBoost

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
So for the 2019 EcoBoost that I'm about to buy, it's got some kind of custom exhaust setup which makes it sound WAY louder than a regular EcoBoost.

I had the guy hoist the car up and we had to look underneath and he told me that the back of the pipes looked completely stock.

But towards the front of the car, there was like some sort of silver x-pipe. The body shop guy told me that it was from a GT.

Really wish I snapped a photo period but can anybody help identify what exactly this exhaust setup is?
Sponsored

atticuskid35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium - PP1, 401a, A10, AE
So for the 2019 EcoBoost that I'm about to buy, it's got some kind of custom exhaust setup which makes it sound WAY louder than a regular EcoBoost.

I had the guy hoist the car up and we had to look underneath and he told me that the back of the pipes looked completely stock.

But towards the front of the car, there was like some sort of silver x-pipe. The body shop guy told me that it was from a GT.

Really wish I snapped a photo period but can anybody help identify what exactly this exhaust setup is?
It’s probably stock exhaust with resonator delete and added an X pipe. There’s a lot of eco owners that do this set up. On fb there’s a couple ecoboost groups. Honestly the best exhaust for the eco imo is the Mbrp race catback sounds fucking killer and no drone.

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
It’s probably stock exhaust with resonator delete and added an X pipe. There’s a lot of eco owners that do this set up. On fb there’s a couple ecoboost groups. Honestly the best exhaust for the eco imo is the Mbrp race catback sounds fucking killer and no drone.
Oh no!

I was fearing a resonator delete! I use to own a charger and know that deleteing the resonator results in a terrible drone at highway speeds.

Are there any other downsides of this setup for a mustang?

In other words, should I be happy that this is there? Or go back to the dealership and demand answers?

atticuskid35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium - PP1, 401a, A10, AE
Oh no!

I was fearing a resonator delete! I use to own a charger and know that deleteing the resonator results in a terrible drone at highway speeds.

In other words, should I be happy that this is there? Or go back to the dealership and demand answers?
The x pipe just makes your exhaust sound kinda raspy imo. Regardless that set up will sound a ton better than stock.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Oh no!

You want the x-pipe over the resonator, can always change the mufflers. For comparison, the Ecoboosts with active exhaust are resonator delete, no drone in any setting, granted, mufflers are different.

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Excellent advice!! Think of it as repurposing or even being "eco-friendly"

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Wait, someone actually put an x-pipe on an Ecoboost exhaust system? An exhaust system that is already single exhaust from the turbo to the y-pipe they added after removing the resonator? I would try to get a picture of the exhaust system to determine what was done to it, I can't imagine anyone seriously adding an x-pipe to anything but an actual dual exhaust system. The GT exhaust is also larger than the Ecoboost, so to add a GT x-pipe, they would have to have stepped the exhaust up to the x-pipe, then back down after. I'm not saying I haven't seen some dumb things done to cars, but I can't imagine someone doing this to an almost brand new car.

Also, you wouldn't be able to trade anyone with a GT for their resonator. The GT resonator will have 2 inlets and you need a single inlet resonator for the Ecoboost, at least as far as stock resonators go.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
Im sure its a y-pipe not an x-pipe, as it would be a pain in the ass to modify an x-pipe to work. There really isnt a downside to it, you may not like the sound tho.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Point made! It's really a one in/two out... box! And you can replace it with what is Y-pipe, but... We knew what he meant!!

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I'd leave the Y-pipe (x-pipe) in place. It should have a slight advantage over the stock sit up (less restriction).

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
This

Don

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
OK so I took the car out for another test drive today, and there is definately a drone sound coming from exhaust. Could this be a mid-muffler delete or a resonator delete?

How would I fix the problem?
Sponsored