Sponsored

Curt says its hitch doesn't fit Mustangs with active exhausts. Is that the case??? Thx.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, I bought my Bullitt in part because the factory has a 1K-lb tow rating, and there was a hitch available from Curt. I was ready to order it today, but was told it wouldn't fit my Bullitt due to the active exhaust. MagneRide is an issue as well, but at least there's a way around that, by just relocating a sensor harness, or something like that. Apparently not with the AE.

The guy even said a friend let him borrow his Bullitt to take measurements, and it wouldn't fit. He's probably right, since that's what he does, but I remember reading somebody with an active exhaust installed one, but don't remember the details. That's why I assumed it wouldn't be an issue. Hope somebody here could either confirm that, or provide details how to get around it, to make the decision if I want to deal with that or not. The bad news is if I can't get a hitch, will have to sell my motorcycle; that's why I don't want to give up yet. Ha ha. Thanks gang.
JC
Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Update. Found a Draw-Tite hitch, but it's identical to the Reese. So both are probably sourced from China. Contacted the company listed on the .pdf instructions from both Draw-Tite and Reese, named 'Cequent Performance Group', but of course it came out as undeliverable. Oh well. So I'm dead in the water for now. Will call AutoAnything, Reese, and DrawTite when I have a chance, but I suspect they won't know anything, just like Etrailer told me. Will keep you posted. They say it fits 'All 2015+ Mustangs', but Curt said the same thing, and it doesn't fit my car. We'll see
icon_smile.gif

r-model

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 1987 GT, not stock :-) DD - 2001 F150
There is a company that makes a Stealth Hitch (https://stealthhitches.com/) they have one for our cars, I have been in contact with them while they were doing the prototype, it has been released for sale, contact them

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
eTrailer has a review with photos of a DrawTite fitting an AE Mustang.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Didn’t see that. Need to call them when I get off chemo. Thank you for the heads up .

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
There is a company that makes a Stealth Hitch (https://stealthhitches.com/) they have one for our cars, I have been in contact with them while they were doing the prototype, it has been released for sale, contact them
Nope: Not even "Ford" is there (as of 05/07/2020) according to Dark Horse:

[QUOTE ]DarkHors5, May 8, 2020
I got a response from them this morning,

"Thank you for your interest in Stealth Hitches. We have removed the Mustang from our offering as we found that there were a lot of variants of the vehicle and a lot of customized vehicles out there, with very low sales volume, so we have pulled the product from the market. It is unclear right now if and when we will put an offering back on the market for the Mustang."

Well, Damn.[/QUOTE]

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I'm glad I didn't see this! I just ordered and installed a Curt hitch on my 2019 PP2 with mag ride and active exhaust for pulling my tire trailer to the track. No issue with fit.
hitch.jpg

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I'm glad I didn't see this! I just ordered and installed a Curt hitch on my 2019 PP2 with mag ride and active exhaust for pulling my tire trailer to the track. No issue with fit.
hitch.jpg
Glad to know it fits, I may need one for my bike rack. Uniontowm, seemed familiar, I stayed there on a trip to ride the Great Allegheny Passage. Mandatory Mustang content... next time I go there I hope to take my bike on my Mustang. :)

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just ordered and installed a Curt hitch on my 2019 PP2 with mag ride and active exhaust for pulling my tire trailer to the track. No issue with fit.
Hey, great news. Can't believe the main tech guy at Curt told me it wouldn't fit, and it does. May I ask you what exactly did you do to install it? Did you remove the exhaust, or just lowered it? How about the final clearance from the exhaust? Tech guy said exhaust would touch the hitch when re-installed. Another person with AE said he had to do something to make it fit, so curious if you had absolutely no issues, or if you did, how exactly you did to get around them. Oh, and did you do it by yourself, or with a helper? I was thinking of removing the exhaust, to avoid a future leak, since my car only seems to have the flexible joint on only ONE side, which is super weird. Since the car is new, hopefully it wouldn't be too much trouble to break the pipes loose from the resonator.

I know the Draw-Tite/Reese hitch works with MR/AE, but I prefer the Curt. Looks beefier, and since it's curved, it looks MUCH better from behind. Thank you.

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I never even checked for clearance around the exhaust. Just pulled it completely out. Beat the hitch into location, bolted it up, and put exhaust back on.

I’ll crawl under there when I get some time and double check, but nothing jumped out at me as anything close to an issue during install. The hitch is nowhere near the valves or wiring.

no noises or issues so far.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's good to hear; thank you for posting that. Hey, may I ask you if you removed the exhaust all by yourself, or needed help? And how easy did it dislodge from the connecting pipes ahead of the resonator? And do you remember the torque rating for those 4 clamp bolts? Oh, and there shouldn't be ANY differences between your GT and my Bullitt with AE and MR, correct? Still a bit concerned that the tech guy said he measured a Bullitt like mine, and said it wouldn't fit. Thanks man.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Extra set of hands was invaluable during the install. Doing this by yourself on jack stands is probably doable but would suck.

It’s pretty easy to pull the exhaust out. Just watch a video or two on YouTube for the technique. I retorqued the clamp bolts to snug in reinstall.

Again I saw zero issues with any interference and I don’t think there’s any Physical difference outside of your intake manifold!

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
hitch.jpg
Would you mind sharing the clearance of the bottom of the receiver opening to the ground? Thanks

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I ended up not installing a hitch on my Bullitt. But to answer your question, according to Curt, it's 9" to the top of the inside of the hole, so a little less than 8" of ground clearance, since the hitch hole is 1", plus the thickness of the metal (maybe 1/3"?). And the tip of the hitch is 5" from the longest part of the rear bumper, in case you needed that. Those 2 measurements should be very close to the ones stated above. Hopefully our friend will confirm them, for your piece of mind :D.
Sponsored