Sponsored

Curbed my stock 20 inch wheel tire today.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I made the mistake the other day of saying to myself I've been almost a year without any cosmetic damage. So what do I go and do today? Barely nudge a 2 inch curb at about a mile per hour picking up my son from school. Yep ripped the stock Pirelli about 4 inches long and curb rashed the rim about 2 inches wide as well. :frusty: Angry at myself for being a dumb@$$ as I've missed this curb countless times. Yes it could be much worse but its still frustrating. There goes the $500 deductible for me driving like a dumb@$$ who can't miss a curb at one mile per hour. Haven't looked it up but I have a feeling its around 800 bucks for the wheel and probably 300 for the tire. Hopefully State Farm doesn't bend me over after the claim. :tsk:

Sorry had to vent. It of course could be much worse. I just hate spending money on something that could have been avoided. Anyone done this and go through a claim for it? Thanks. :eek:
Sponsored

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Woah man! No good!

Is the tire popped/holding air? You can have your dealership touch up/ refinish the wheel for $150 I bet. Wheel is no big deal. :cheers:

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Just checked online. 20 inch stock wheel at $1,067 from Ford. :(

Is the tire popped/holding air? You can have your dealership touch up/ refinish the wheel for $150 I bet. Wheel is no big deal.
Currently it is holding air and made it home 5 miles. But looking at it I don't trust it right now as it is gouged deep into the sidewall. I will ask about wheel refinishing when I take it in. I'll post up some pics later as I'm still to po'd at myself for doing it. Thanks though.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Cheaper to buy a set of 4 used takeoffs from the forums or ebay.

Sponsored

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Talk to levittownsupercenter here on the forums. They have the gt pp black front wheel for 287!! It's worth a look for your wheel.

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I made the mistake the other day of saying to myself I've been almost a year without any cosmetic damage. So what do I go and do today? Barely nudge a 2 inch curb at about a mile per hour picking up my son from school. Yep ripped the stock Pirelli about 4 inches long and curb rashed the rim about 2 inches wide as well. :frusty: Angry at myself for being a dumb@$$ as I've missed this curb countless times. Yes it could be much worse but its still frustrating. There goes the $500 deductible for me driving like a dumb@$$ who can't miss a curb at one mile per hour. Haven't looked it up but I have a feeling its around 800 bucks for the wheel and probably 300 for the tire. Hopefully State Farm doesn't bend me over after the claim. :tsk:

Sorry had to vent. It of course could be much worse. I just hate spending money on something that could have been avoided. Anyone done this and go through a claim for it? Thanks. :eek:
Careful. I am an insurance broker in CA. Out here, if there is less than $1,000 property damage, it will be considered a non chargeable violation, still subject to your collision deductible. Not sure what the carrier guidelines and laws out where you are but you should definitely look into this as out here if you have 2 or more points, you lose CA good driver discount which is easily 20% premium and also makes you not eligible for the "preferred carriers" and you will end up with a carrier who's base rates are higher, and you don't get the additional discount making it much worse than just 20%.

If you have any other accidents/speeding tickets you may want to pay out of pocket and save the point on your driving record for something more serious as the more points you have, the insurance pricing goes up pretty quickly.

Again, that is out here in CA, but for $1,000 and $500 deductible... I would probably suggest eating the $1,000. Call a local broker (or your State Farm agent and ask it as a hypothetical) and see what they say about local laws.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Did the same thing when I first got my 2011 regal. Didn't even make the first payment. Dealer wanted a grand for one rim. Craig's list, set of 4 for 650 plus shipping. Had mine repaired and sold them on CL, got my money back

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Cheaper to buy a set of 4 used takeoffs from the forums or ebay.
Maybe, not sure if anyone is selling 4 20 inch stock rims for under 1000 right now or not.

Talk to levittownsupercenter here on the forums. They have the gt pp black front wheel for 287!! It's worth a look for your wheel.
Wrong wheel but thanks. ;)

I will see if it can be refinished or not. I've tried my hand at some basic sanding/smoothing/polishing of the lips of polished wheels that have gotten curb rashed before and I've never been happy with the results of my work. If I can get a new tire and have the wheel refinished for under $500 then I will go that route. My deductible is $500 for collision which I think is what this will be counted as by State Farm. It didn't touch the paint in the pockets of the 20 inch stock wheel so that helps as it won't need any paint touch up. I will take it in on Friday.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Careful. I am an insurance broker in CA. Out here, if there is less than $1,000 property damage, it will be considered a non chargeable violation, still subject to your collision deductible. Not sure what the carrier guidelines and laws out where you are but you should definitely look into this as out here if you have 2 or more points, you lose CA good driver discount which is easily 20% premium and also makes you not eligible for the "preferred carriers" and you will end up with a carrier who's base rates are higher, and you don't get the additional discount making it much worse than just 20%.

If you have any other accidents/speeding tickets you may want to pay out of pocket and save the point on your driving record for something more serious as the more points you have, the insurance pricing goes up pretty quickly.

Again, that is out here in CA, but for $1,000 and $500 deductible... I would probably suggest eating the $1,000. Call a local broker (or your State Farm agent and ask it as a hypothetical) and see what they say about local laws.
I've had a similar situation years before with State Farm and didn't see my rates skyrocket when my wife slid into a curb on ice and messed up the wheel/tire and some suspension pieces. No tickets and we don't do points here in Illinois. I've been with State Farm for over 20 years and have multiple policies with them. If they play hardball I'll be happy to leave, they have been good to me in the past. Regardless if it is under $500 I'm out that amount anyway and will just drop the claim. They want 1K for the wheel and 300 for the tire for 1300 bucks then at least SF picks up the 800 over deductible and I've got a new wheel/tire. I will take your advice and see what SF says on which path I choose, thank you. :)

Sponsored

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I've had a similar situation years before with State Farm and didn't see my rates skyrocket when my wife slid into a curb on ice and messed up the wheel/tire and some suspension pieces. No tickets and we don't do points here in Illinois. I've been with State Farm for over 20 years and have multiple policies with them. If they play hardball I'll be happy to leave, they have been good to me in the past. Regardless if it is under $500 I'm out that amount anyway and will just drop the claim. They want 1K for the wheel and 300 for the tire for 1300 bucks then at least SF picks up the 800 over deductible and I've got a new wheel/tire. I will take your advice and see what SF says on which path I choose, thank you. :)
Interesting.. no points. I know different states have vastly different driving law structures and insurance structure so was just trying to give some insight. If you have no other accidents/tickets/violations... one small driving collision typically shouldn't hurt your rates too bad. CA is pretty tough.

Something I learned recently while visiting AZ.. I got a speeding ticket. I paid both the violation and the traffic school and completed the traffic school. Traffic school contacted me and said court rejected my traffic school certificate because I paid the violation and they asked me why would I ever do that if I intended to take traffic school. I was able to call the court, they were very nice, refunded me my money and then accepted the traffic school.

In CA, you can't get anyone on the phone, takes over 12 months to get a court date (meanwhile driving record/suspension/etc is fucked until the court date). You pay the violation, you pay the court an additional fee to take traffic school, you pay the traffic school and then you pay the traffic school an additional fee for the certificate. Insane.

Pootie_Stang

Wah Dah Ta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP Base
I wouldn't take it to a dealer or deal with insurance for a curb mark lol

Call a local wheel repair guy, shouldn't be more than 100 bucks, you'd be surprised at what they can fix. tire 200ish then 300 and your golden. I've never heard of anyone using insurance for a wheel curb lol

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I wouldn't take it to a dealer or deal with insurance for a curb mark lol

Call a local wheel repair guy, shouldn't be more than 100 bucks, you'd be surprised at what they can fix. tire 200ish then 300 and your golden. I've never heard of anyone using insurance for a wheel curb lol
It won't go to the dealer at all. I have a local body shop that I semi-trust. Yes I will pursue the refinish route first. I'd be willing to bet they probably farm out wheel refinishing. Like I said I've gone down a similar route before when my wife curbed a wheel tire very similar to this situation albeit on ice many years ago. It happens probably more than you might think. If I can get the wheel refinished for 200 or under and just buy a new tire and have it mounted for under 500 total (tire and refinish) I will go that route. They say they want to get a new wheel and I'm letting SF handle it. I have 4 auto polices and a life insurance policy with them. They make WAY more than 800 bucks off me in a year. I will know more on Friday. :)

Whatever the case, thanks all for being a soundboard, I appreciate it. :)

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I hit a center island curb in my 2012 Acura TSX. doing 45 mph. Blew out the tire and dented/scratched the mag badly. The dealership took it to a local mag repair place and it came back perfect. Could not tell it from the other four. Except for the new tire. The mag repair was $150.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I hit a center island curb in my 2012 Acura TSX. doing 45 mph. Blew out the tire and dented/scratched the mag badly. The dealership took it to a local mag repair place and it came back perfect. Could not tell it from the other four. Except for the new tire. The mag repair was $150.
Thanks. Gotta hope they can do that and be as good as yours was for that price. :)
Sponsored