Cup 2 tires in cold weather

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I was researching Cup 2 alternatives and found examples of other Michelin tires (e.g. Super Sports) that also cracked under cold temperatures. So I emailed Michelin and asked them directly what the temperature limitations of the Mach 1-specific Cup 2's are, and if the Pilot Sport 4S would be a reasonable cold weather alternative. Their response:

Michelin Ultra-High Performance (UHP) Sport Summer tires use tread compounds that are optimized for maximum dry and damp grip in temperate conditions. As the temperature of the compound nears freezing, the grip level of the tire begins to degrade. Michelin does not recommend using UHP Sport Summer tires when tire temperatures drop below 40°F or on snow and ice. At tire temperatures below 20°F Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F. If the tires have been cooled to 20°F or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires.

Although they don't specifically use the term "ultra-high performance" on their website, the Pilot series web page address is "ultra-high-performance-sport". The summer UHP tires listed on that page are the Cup 2, PS4S, Super Sport, Sport PS2, Sport 4, Sport 3, and Exalto PE2. Therefore it appears that any of these tires could crack at temps below 20F, which is backed up by pics I have seen online of Super Sports and of course Cup 2's with freeze cracks.

Therefore it sounds like replacing the Cup 2's with PS4S really doesn't get you any relief as far as cold temps. So if you have some disposable income to spend on a set of winter wheels and tires, that's probably the best option. If not, park it for the winter. If the garage gets below 20F, get the car up on jack stands so the weight isn't on the tires. Not the answer I was hoping for but wanted to pass this along to everyone.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
That’s good info. I replaced my cup2’s with ps4’s because my car won’t be driven during the cold months but will potentially be caught in rain if I can’t avoid it. The Mach 1 cup2’s are not designed for wet roads so that’s something else to keep in mind.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
That’s good info. I replaced my cup2’s with ps4’s because my car won’t be driven during the cold months but will potentially be caught in rain if I can’t avoid it. The Mach 1 cup2’s are not designed for wet roads so that’s something else to keep in mind.
Good info! That's why I have a separate set of wheels with all seasons for the winter season.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I was researching Cup 2 alternatives and found examples of other Michelin tires (e.g. Super Sports) that also cracked under cold temperatures. So I emailed Michelin and asked them directly what the temperature limitations of the Mach 1-specific Cup 2's are, and if the Pilot Sport 4S would be a reasonable cold weather alternative. Their response:

Michelin Ultra-High Performance (UHP) Sport Summer tires use tread compounds that are optimized for maximum dry and damp grip in temperate conditions. As the temperature of the compound nears freezing, the grip level of the tire begins to degrade. Michelin does not recommend using UHP Sport Summer tires when tire temperatures drop below 40°F or on snow and ice. At tire temperatures below 20°F Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F. If the tires have been cooled to 20°F or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires.

Although they don't specifically use the term "ultra-high performance" on their website, the Pilot series web page address is "ultra-high-performance-sport". The summer UHP tires listed on that page are the Cup 2, PS4S, Super Sport, Sport PS2, Sport 4, Sport 3, and Exalto PE2. Therefore it appears that any of these tires could crack at temps below 20F, which is backed up by pics I have seen online of Super Sports and of course Cup 2's with freeze cracks.

Therefore it sounds like replacing the Cup 2's with PS4S really doesn't get you any relief as far as cold temps. So if you have some disposable income to spend on a set of winter wheels and tires, that's probably the best option. If not, park it for the winter. If the garage gets below 20F, get the car up on jack stands so the weight isn't on the tires. Not the answer I was hoping for but wanted to pass this along to everyone.
No relief from cold - correct. Better rain traction - yes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting guys, sounds like already some of you are able to back up Michelin's recommendations.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I based my ps4 purchase on recommendations from @fastergt350 who has spoken highly of them and talking to billy Johnson who has a lot of development miles behind the wheel for ford. The Mach 1 cup2’s are an excellent track tire but not very forgiving on the street where you can get caught in unexpected conditions. If temperature is not a concern go with ps4’s or the gt350 cup2’s. If temps are something you are likely to encounter definitely look elsewhere. Michelin doesn’t make the as4 in our sizes last I checked but they might have something similar in a close size.

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
From my understanding, cup 2s and 4S are pretty much the same compound except 4Ss' have more tread/grooves which make them better in the rain and last longer. Cup2s are more track focused and will provide better grip on the track. Neither are cold weather tires.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From my understanding, cup 2s and 4S are pretty much the same compound except 4Ss' have more tread/grooves which make them better in the rain and last longer. Cup2s are more track focused and will provide better grip on the track. Neither are cold weather tires.
Where did you see they are the same compound? I haven’t read that anywhere but would be interested to know the answer

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1 with handling package
I've been back and forth between getting ps4s or cooper zeon rs3 all seasons for the cold months. The average low in the coldest month where I am is 20f, and the average temp during that coldest month is 30f.

I wouldn't want my tires to crack in the cold but I also absolutely hate all season tires due to past experience.

Interested to know what other people are planning to do for the cold months (handling package). My car is only for pleasure so I don't have to drive if the weather isn't nice, but it is parked in a open air garage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Continental Extreme Contact Sport comes in 305/30 and 325/30 and seems to have gotten good reviews. I emailed Continental asking about temperature limits and they said do not use them in temps below 45F.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I have a set of 255/40ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on 19" x 9" ebony black wheels from a 2016 GT PP. I replaced the PZero Nero's on the wheels since the Pirelli's don't have a great rep for cold temps either. I'll be in Northern Virginia for this winter, so I'll put them on for December through March.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I've been back and forth between getting ps4s or cooper zeon rs3 all seasons for the cold months. The average low in the coldest month where I am is 20f, and the average temp during that coldest month is 30f.

I wouldn't want my tires to crack in the cold but I also absolutely hate all season tires due to past experience.

Interested to know what other people are planning to do for the cold months (handling package). My car is only for pleasure so I don't have to drive if the weather isn't nice, but it is parked in a open air garage.
Dont bother with PS4 under ~35* its like driving in cold rain till they get heat.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
For what it's worth, I drove on Indy 500's in low temps in the mid 30's to 40's and they were fine and never cracked on my 17 GT.
Sponsored