Crunchy spot in clutch pedal stroke after upgrade

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
After installing the mcleod rxt HD clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing and ford oem slave cyl, i feel a “click” in the pedal stroke around where it engages. Pedal pressure is heavier than stock but expected with the 1200hp rate clutch and I initially assumed the higher pressure was the reason for me feeling more of the “mechanics” of the engagment in my foot. I have 600 miles of break in on it and it holds as expected now that i am starting to get on it. The initial chatter has nearly all gone away over time.

i had also thought maybe my pedal arm was cracking but do not see anything, i feel like it is the clutch.

any thoughts, it almost feels like a bump in the travel as the throw out bearing is depressing the fingers. Slight feeling.

i would hate to have to tear it all down again for nothing.
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have the same feeling with my LPX clutch (made by McLeod). It's worse if I'm modulating the clutch when creeping in traffic, not fully letting it out. Almost like there is a small catch or detent there...pedal doesn't feel smooth. Almost gritty at times if that makes sense? Maybe that is the 'crunchy' feel you are describing?

My other concern is it starts to kiss the first disc very close to the floor. But the meat of the engagement is where it should be (halfway up or so). But if on a level surface, it will make the car creep ever so slightly as soon as you start letting up on the clutch. I'm wondering if I have air stuck in the slave. I've noticed it doesn't not seem as easy to get into first gear sometimes...but seems inconsistent. I too don't want to pull it back apart!

OP
OP
Mantis

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yes. The dedent is a good way to describe it. Maybe it is the transition from the flat tips of the pressure plate as the bearing pushes them in.

did you also replace the clutch line? Mine was squishy after warmup and felt all around terrible before doing the line. After is night and day. I do feel the first disc catch at about 25% but no creeping like you mention. Once the second starts to grabthere is little room for modulation due to high friction

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I did replace the stock clutch line with the McLeod one. I might try and vacuum bleed the master cylinder, but am not hopeful it will help my engagement concern. As long as it doesn't lock me out of high rpms shifts, I think I'll be OK.
Sponsored