Sponsored

Crashed my 2020 GT500 CFTP into a Creek High-Speed at the Track! (video)

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
This is a good tip Don… thanks! I’ll be at COTA again this weekend.
They moved the COTA event a week later (to this coming weekend), and I’m taking the grandkids to Disney leaving on Saturday. So I won’t make this one.
Looks like a hot Saturday and rain on Sunday. So be careful out there!
Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I kept expecting to see Fugi Hakayito in the video.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I finally got to watch the video. At about 11:19ish, it looked to me that the car had transitioned into the turn creating a centrifugal force outwards. It also appeared to me that the right front and possibly the right rear went over the rumble strips and slightly onto the grass causing an induced drag that caused a right yawing tendency that was not corrected enough in a timely fashion. The situation was aggrevated enough to the point that it was inevitable that Tim was going to depart the paved surface. I will give Tim some kudos in that he kept the car from entering a spin. Had that happened, the situation would have been much worse.

I dont know if Tim intended to drive over (and I mean the other side) of the rumble strip, but upsetting the car is something that you try to avoid.

I have a few questions.....

Were you at maintenence throttle entering the turn? Accelerating? Braking? Id have to watch it again to see/hear.

Tire condition is just that. Heat cycled cup 2s don't all of a sudden demonstrate this behavior. The last time I used heat cycled tires, I had to adjust my driving. My times were subsequently off and that is the price to pay. You know it, and you adjust your driving accordingly.

Again, glad Tim is ok and damage was minimal.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I thought those the SC2 tires weren’t supposed to be driven in cold and or rain.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Did the Sport Cup 2 tires have the FP on the sidewall.

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
i would think that platform would not be a great one for road racing because if the blower
When you buy a GT500, you receive a “GT500 Track Attack” experience at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Your statement is ignorant of the car’s capabilities.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
not so in this case....hence the crash poncho
Any vehicle with the tire quality and ambient conditions that Goose17 encountered could have done the same thing. You are making this to be a GT500-specific issue. It’s not.

Randy Pobst, among countless others, have praised the GT500’s capabilities on the track.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
not so in this case....hence the crash poncho
Yes, and the course they offer teaches you the track basics and is follow the instructor only. They only way you learn is by repetition and to Tim's credit, he has been doing that. Unfortunately some things you have to learn the hard way. Its very fortunate the lesson didn't involve injuries or a loss of his car.

You don't go to the track attack and become a track star over night.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
i would think that platform would not be a great one for road racing because if the blower
What does the blower have to do with anything?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Twitchy throttle , the torque curve . Road racer combos are high RPM low torque for a.reason. It was a question mfkers get all twisted up over it.
I could’ve sworn there are forced induction cars in several IMSA series. So I would think it would come down to driver control. I could be wrong though.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC