Sponsored

Crashed my 2020 GT500 CFTP into a Creek High-Speed at the Track! (video)

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
If only it was the same body of water as the Miami F1 circuit lol.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Track mode, which loosens up nannies.
Track mode.... which reduces the protections that are afforded to you. But some protections are still there. I'm in the middle of the Adriatic sea, so bandwidth is limited and I couldn't watch the video. But nonetheless, you loose control of your vehicle on track and it's on you. It isn't the tires or any other condition because you as a driver are responsible to have situational awareness around you and adjust to dynamic conditions.

Tim, glad you are ok. It's a lesson learned along the way. Your car is not totalled and nobody was hurt. This lesson will make you a better driver.

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
Have to stay off the curbs as well out there. Wet cresson is a monster trust me i've done it as well. The little transition going up towards the toilet bowl got me last year. Glad you're safe and the car can be fixed.

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
I join Shelby friends for a track day at MSR Cresson on worn Sport Cup 2 tires, using them one more day before replacing them for an upcoming planned complex track event. It was my 2nd time running the full 3.1 at MSR-C and it had rained prior to our first session, which made it the slickest track I have been on to date! The track surface improved on subsequent sessions, but the tires were losing grip as the day progressed, especially the rears. The mishap happened on session 4 and was captured on multiple high-def cameras. I went off track high-speed and into a muddy creek. It took some effort to get me out as I was pretty far off track with slick mud complicating the extraction. The video finishes with a synopsis of the event and lessons learned.

If you need any parts, I have some stock take-off parts you can have!!!

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Track mode, which loosens up nannies.
As a recommendation, if tires are worn or track conditions suck, keep it to Sport mode, or even Normal to let the car help a bit more. Learned this on cold mornings at COTA.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Glad it wasnā€™t too serious. Great videos. Itā€™s how well you handle yourself thatā€™s impressive. All fixable.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
As a recommendation, if tires are worn or track conditions suck, keep it to Sport mode, or even Normal to let the car help a bit more. Learned this on cold mornings at COTA.
Fuuuuuuck that! I turn ā€˜em off especially if I happen to be driving in the snow as itā€™s much more fun. šŸ„ø. But then I did grow up drifting the horse and buggy on the way to school.

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
Sucks that it happened, but no injuries or serious damage is the main thing. I dont think I would have held my composure as well as you did lol. Glad you jumped right back on that horse. These cars definitely demand respect, these things happens so fast.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Wow! I watched the video and you were really cooking that course! That spin didn't take that much throttle...these cars have the power to get you into trouble twice as fast as a regular GT.

I appreciate your post-spin analysis and lessons learned. We can all learn from each other. I am putting my summer tires on tomorrow and checked the thread...still legal but I have the same issue...they shouldn't be pushed too much.

CVCashmere

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
If you need any parts, I have some stock take-off parts you can have!!!
Appreciate the offer. I have ordered and replaced a litany of parts. I was calling my parts guy with what I knew I needed as I was leaving the track. I called him many more times as I broke down the front and rear. I was in a time crunchā€¦ crashed on Monday and had a car show, cruise and lunch I organized on Saturday. I worked long days/nights and got it all back together late Friday night. I also had ShelbyFest with a track day the week after the crash. Most of the parts came in on time and I made it happen. I have the front torn apart again today replacing a radiator that arrived late.
This is a good tip Donā€¦ thanks! Iā€™ll be at COTA again this weekend.
Glad it wasnā€™t too serious. Great videos. Itā€™s how well you handle yourself thatā€™s impressive. All fixable.
Appreciate that. The damage was worse than what it looked like. Inside the front and rear fasciaā€™s needed quite a bit of love.
Wow! I watched the video and you were really cooking that course! That spin didn't take that much throttle...these cars have the power to get you into trouble twice as fast as a regular GT.

I appreciate your post-spin analysis and lessons learned. We can all learn from each other. I am putting my summer tires on tomorrow and checked the thread...still legal but I have the same issue...they shouldn't be pushed too much.

CVCashmere
Thank you sir! Live and learn.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name