Cranking Times For Those That Keep Their Car Outside

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
With the recent below-freezing temperatures, I have noticed on the first start of the day, my 2020 mustang may take as long as 2 to 4 seconds to start? However, on subsequent starts the very same day, my car will quickly fire up. There are no codes or any messages from the FORD pass app.
I'm curious if others that keep their car outside during the winter have experienced the same thing?
I'm going in for a 10k service in 2 weeks.
Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Nowhere near as North as you, but on those days I'm inclined to heat the steering wheel and seat, it does take more cranks to light up in the morning.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine cranks about the same total time in cold temps, but just a bit slower since the batteries in these cars are pretty weak to begin with.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Had some cooler weather a few weeks back. -8C/18F fired right up.
Also have a 2020.
As another member mentioned - the battery is a bit lightweight in CCA, but its been doing OK for me. I checked it in Nov with my conductance type analyzer and it was 80% health. I ran a recondition mode on my charger and it came back to 100% health, and 100% charge. I think the parasitic load, even with the sleep-mode to prevent deeper discharge has a cumulative effect on it. Recommend doing an overnight charge once a month or more depending how cold it gets. Kind of overkill - but the car did start sharper after I ran a recondition cycle. (Ctek charger) Of course since then I havent noticed a dropoff, but might be time for another analysis.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I reckon mine takes 3 seconds to light off after sitting for a week in <35F
Having a batt on a charger has less to do with it at 100% but more to do with it being warm(er) than it would otherwise be. I've gone 2 weeks sitting in wintery temps and it still reliably fires.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Cars cranking over slower with cold batteries is nothing new. As is the case with most chemical reactions, the cold slows everything down. Why do you think they rate batteries by Cold Cranking Amps.

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
Just started mine up the other day in about 15 degree F weather and it took a good 3-4 seconds for it to fire up.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
completely normal in my experience. im in chicagoland, so temps below zero F are not at all unheard of. temps below freezing are a normal thing here. every car ive ever owned cranks longer when it's colder like this. especially single digits or below.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Lived in northern bc once. always had a couple weeks in Jan/Feb at -40 ... which is the magical mathematical formula point -40 is the same in F or C.
Oil was like molasses. You needed a block heater and a battery blanket if you wanted to start it. Had to keep fuel line antifreeze in the tank as any moisture froze in the lines. One shouldnt have moisture ... but not sure how stations maintain (or dilute) their tanks. One always had to have the antifreexe in your tank. Seat felt like a wooden bench, and shocks had very little give. Crank times were the least of ones worries,

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Sponsored

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
My car started cranking longer and a little slower this weekend with the temps in the teens at night. Then I started getting messages from the Ford app within 2 minutes of shutting the car off that it's in deep sleep mode to conserve power. The other day the radio/nav. wouldn't turn on because the car was conserving power, just replaced the battery today.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
You guys don't have the frame of reference of having to start a carbureted car in sub zero weather.....lol. 2 to 4 seconds of cranking would be considered a miracle. Gasoline just doesn't vaporize well in the freezing cold.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
On e85 when it gets below 60 overnight my cold starts are like the car is about to stall for 5 seconds , barely runs but then idles up and its all good.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
On e85 when it gets below 60 overnight my cold starts are like the car is about to stall for 5 seconds , barely runs but then idles up and its all good.
Mine took 4 starts this morning on e85 and full fuel system! She is very grumpy in the morning and even more so in the cold!! 🤣

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Mine took 4 starts this morning on e85 and full fuel system! She is very grumpy in the morning and even more so in the cold!! 🤣
What temperature did it get to overnight at your location?
Sponsored