Sponsored

CPO HE Gt350 that was previously tuned.

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
I picked up a CPO 2020 HE GT350 that I found out had previously been tuned prior to the dealer certifying the car and selling it to me.. Does the CPO designation cover me if they pull logs and see a prior tune or am I screwed? I had a previous 350 that needed an engine replacement that was covered by Ford.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I would bet on screwed. Have the dealer tune it back to OEM and give you paperwork 're-affirming' the CPO and stipulating that they will honor all warranty claims relating to engine failure for X miles and Y months.

Otherwise demand they take the car back and full refund for their careless ineptitude for failing to actually check the ECU for flash count before asserting CPO.

A lawyer may prove helpful.

Last edited:

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Do they even check for tuning during the Ford CPO process?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
What's been tuned specifically?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What kind of person tunes a car, puts it back to stock, and trades it in? A total dump on the next owner should anything go wrong.

I agree with the consensus, address it ASAP and make them stand behind the sale. Get it in writing.

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
What kind of person tunes a car, puts it back to stock, and trades it in? A total dump on the next owner should anything go wrong.

I agree with the consensus, address it ASAP and make them stand behind the sale. Get it in writing.
Yeah I figured they checked the ECU since they are offering a 7 year 100k mile warranty extended warranty as a CPO. I am calling the GM Monday and see what they say. Luckily I did some digging on here and found out that the car was modified.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what/how the car was tuned for E85? Lund/n-Gauge/etc. Or did he have one of the Flex Fuel Commanders? <- A stand alone computer that compensates for E85 usage. If that's the case, I don't think anything is ever written to the ECU.

Are you saying its tuned right now? Or that it was tuned and then put back to stock?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

You know this happens a lot. I traded my RS3 on the GT500 but I left the tune on it, gave the dealer all of the info on it, included the tuning hardware and software along with my contact info if the new owner had any issues switching the account into his name.

I got a fair trade but of course, many dealers will either not buy a tuned car or offer a lot less for it.

PA_R_DUDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
I'm unsure if the ECU flash counter has a timestamp, would be pretty stupid if it didn't. Either way, all they would need to do is hook it up to their diagnostic tool and check that the timestamp was prior to your purchase, and viola. If it doesn't have the timestamp well, it's your word against theirs which would get tricky.
Sponsored