CP-E HKS BOV kit installed today. Long term review

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
My 2019 NFG Ecoboost Mustang has received his first modification today. The car had 1019 kms when I installed the CP-E HKS BOV kit.

I have look but I haven't seen any thread about the long term of having a VTA BOV. So I'm opening this thread to answer questions regarding installation, long term review and quality of my BOV kit.

The CP-E kit was very complete. Nothing was missing and everything seems to be quality parts. No, I'm not sponsored by CP-E, before you ask. I'm just pretty happy with my mod that cost me 1000$ CAD. (Parts, shipping, border tax and USD to CAD). I also added the Turbosmart CEL defender to make sure that I didn't have any CEL. Everything worked perfectly.

June 1st 2019: 1019 kms installation
October 11th 2019: 5868 kms first oil change.
June 2nd 2020:. 13618 kms second oil change.

I'll keep updates every oil change or if anything good or bad happens.

As of October 11th: Nothing new to report. Still pretty happy with my HKS BOV. Average L/100kms since ownership at 9.6 (24.5 mpg). Daily used and mostly in cities.

As of June 2nd: Still loving it! I've lowered my gas average to 9.2L/100kms (25.6 mpg). A 3000 kms road trip helped a lot.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Following. I would of done it already, just low on funds.

OP
OP
O.L.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
I'm over 1700 kms now. Still a big smile in my face everytime it whistle. Save your money for it, it's a pleasure mod.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Hows the review after a month? You are a manual, correct? any notice of decreased power or mpg or any ineffeinecy from switching from recirculating to vta?

OP
OP
O.L.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
3300kms on the odometer. So more than 2000kms with the kit. No issue, still pleased with it. I haven't notice any change in performance. From what I read, the way the Mustang is conceived it doesn't affect when the BOV is VTA. MPG is slowly improving but I presume it's the same with all the new cars after the firsts 1000kms. I'm at 9.9L per 100kms since I own it. Between 5.9 and 6.2 on the highway.

Edit: 23.8 mpg from the beggining and between 37 and 39 mpg on the highway

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
3300kms on the odometer. So more than 2000kms with the kit. No issue, still pleased with it. I haven't notice any change in performance. From what I read, the way the Mustang is conceived it doesn't affect when the BOV is VTA. MPG is slowly improving but I presume it's the same with all the new cars after the firsts 1000kms. I'm at 9.9L per 100kms since I own it. Between 5.9 and 6.2 on the highway.

Edit: 23.8 mpg from the beggining and between 37 and 39 mpg on the highway
When you installed it, was it an easy install, and if you was to remove and re install it, are there one time use gaskets that are needed to be replaced incase I have to swap them out for warranty?

No cutting/splicing or anything in any type of wire right?

I know I posted like a month ago on it, I have almost enough to buy one and really wanting too. Just needing a push Lol. Get any compliments on it from other owners or any randoms?

OP
OP
O.L.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
Install took 1 ½ hour. But my friend and I took our time to make sure everything was done the right way. In the kit, there were pretty good informations to install the kit step by step with pics. Nothing was install that cannot be remove. Just swapping parts, no cutting, no rewiring. The only thing I strongly suggest is to order the Turbosmart CEL defender. It's plug and play and I had no CEL since installation.

When I'm in towns, firstly people turn around because with the active exhaust it makes a nice sound, then they see a green Mustang and when I make the BOV whistle it's a mix of wtf and oh yeah! Sure, when you meet other Mustang owners it's the : you don't have a V8 or they want to know what you did. With a BOV you are outside of the box in the Mustang world.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Install took 1 ½ hour. But my friend and I took our time to make sure everything was done the right way. In the kit, there were pretty good informations to install the kit step by step with pics. Nothing was install that cannot be remove. Just swapping parts, no cutting, no rewiring. The only thing I strongly suggest is to order the Turbosmart CEL defender. It's plug and play and I had no CEL since installation.

When I'm in towns, firstly people turn around because with the active exhaust it makes a nice sound, then they see a green Mustang and when I make the BOV whistle it's a mix of wtf and oh yeah! Sure, when you meet other Mustang owners it's the : you don't have a V8 or they want to know what you did. With a BOV you are outside of the box in the Mustang world.

I am really glad you are enjoying it, and I dont have any v8 owners saying that to me at all, actually they are more receptive than id think. 99% here are GT' I am like one of the only ecoboost especially grabber blue here and everyone seems happy with it. Only had one or two guys say "its an ecoboost, lame" but it was to themselves and I was near.

I am on fb asking see if any of my friends know anyone who works at my dealership, going to find out if they annotate mods during oil changes or not, if they dont do any annotating of mods before actual warranty service work, then im 99% getting it now.

Some dealerships around here ive been told they annotate mods during routine maintenance, before things blow up etc to deny warranty work, and I am for sure not wanting that as too much work to keep swapping them on and off between 10k intervals.

OP
OP
O.L.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
My saleman told me, if there's anything wrong we will send you back to put it back to stock. But it didn't seem to bother him at all. He told me, all the Focus RS are moded and everything goes on the warranty as long as the mod isn't what caused the problem. From what I see here, the BOV shouldn't cause and issue if the installation is good. The car doesn't even seems to operate richer with air fuel ratio.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
My saleman told me, if there's anything wrong we will send you back to put it back to stock. But it didn't seem to bother him at all. He told me, all the Focus RS are moded and everything goes on the warranty as long as the mod isn't what caused the problem. From what I see here, the BOV shouldn't cause and issue if the installation is good. The car doesn't even seems to operate richer with air fuel ratio.
Why would a bov cause fuel to be richer? Just curious. I thought recirculating and vent to air was no difference other than sound.

Sponsored
OP
OP
O.L.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
The air that is recirculated is usually counted by the computer air fuel ratio(afr). When the stock bypass valve recirculates the air, the engine sends a volume of fuel proportionnal to the volume of air that is supposed to be burn. When the air is VTA, that volume of air isn't where it should be but the same amount of fuel goes in the engine which causes to run richer. But it seems that the Mustang has another way to calculate the air coming into the engine which doesn't make the the engine run rich with a VTA BOV. I hope my explainations are clear.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
That makes sense, you are also in Canada so maybe our cars are similar but different. Good to know though no performance loss was occurred during the change

You should post a video up sometime for people.

OP
OP
O.L.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
If the car runs a little richer, I might lose 5-10 HP, who knows? But would you really notice it. In normal condition when I drive I don't get in full boost often. Maybe someone who drives it pedal to metal would find a bigger loss than I have. I really made that mod for the sound, knowing that I might lose a couple of HP.

xmadror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ecoboost
Nice to see a ebm semi local to me (I'm 30 min from MTL) :like:.
I don't see a lot of 2015+ mustang around but when I see one it's a GT 99% of the time too.

I've been tempted to go after that sweet bov sound too but I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a good kit.
I have ~13k km on my '17 ebm with ford performance tune and a 3.73 FD and I've been very happy so far, not sure I'll do more mods before the car is paid for.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Would you guys say the CPE Exhale is the top kit for the eco mustang?
Sponsored